don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Excellent - have been making my way through Sonic 1 again having accidentally deleted my save data, so I'll have to check that out when I get home. = ) Been having a blast with the new version of Sonic 2 since it came out, too - you guys have done an amazing job! Hidden Palace is awesome - I'm convinced my brother would crack up if I can show him the boss, as he's a trombonist. XD

Keep up the good work - hopefully SEGA will let you guys complete the trilogy and do a Retro-Engine powered S3&K in future! = )

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Hate to do this to you Tax, but the update broke Sonic 1 on my Droid 2 Global (Android 2.3.4). Game plays sound in the appropriate places (my Final Zone saves for all characters played the right music and SFX), but the screen is entirely white during gameplay. The pause screen shows the gameplay as it should, though. I'm gonna try uninstalling entirely to see if that fixes it. Sonic 2 plays fine after the latest update, so this is something isolated to Sonic 1.

EDIT: Nope. Neither did a full reboot.

3. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Gah, typical Android! I just did an emergency update to 2.0.3... it should appear in an hour or so and hopefully it fixes it.

4. Mosqui

Mosqui

The same issue above (white screen on gameplay) for Sonic 1 only on my Sony Xperia miro, running Android 4.0.4. Just so you know. If it gets fixed by the new update, then I'll edit this post later.

5. I also got the same problem on my Ipod, completely white screen during gameplay but the pause screen shows it correctly.

6. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    iPod? Are you sure you mean iOS and if so could you tell me what version of iOS and iPod you have?

7. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    If it helps, I tried Sonic 2 out after the update to test this bug, and with an iPod touch 5th gen with iOS 7.0.4, and it worked fine.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I didn't realize the problem was with Sonic 1. Well, it works too, just so you know.

8. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I really want to try this these, but I have a Windows Phone and Windows RT tablet, neither of which is currently supported. Please send word back to Sega that there are a number of users of these platforms who want to play these games!

9. Sorry it's an iPod touch, and the iOS is version 5.1.1.

the game ran fine until the newest update for it.

10. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Do you know what generation the iPod touch is? Is it possible to update iOS to something better than 5.1.1? Is it stock iOS or jailbroken? We have a pretty wide gamut of iOS devices we test on and haven't seen it so I'm just trying to get any info that could isolate the issue. I presume it doesn't like having the 2x frame buffer texture used to get a crisper image on higher res screens.

EDIT: have you tried Sonic 2 as well?

11. Mosqui

Mosqui

So, just downloaded and installed the "white screen" fix and it didn't fix the issue. The issue still remains.

12. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Yeah, thanks to Ruri's description I've just worked out exactly what the problem was. It's occuring on screens that are <= 480 pixels because it was missing a bit of code that sets the 2x texture flag to false (this stuff was first added in Sonic 2, then back ported to Sonic 1 hence why it only occurred there). I never caught it because none of my devices are that low-res now.

Android version 2.0.4 with the fix will be up as soon as it propagates. iOS will have to go through the submission again (although it affects far less people because it's only the iPod touch 3rd Gen with a screen < 480).

Apologies for the inconvenience, I will now go to sleep! :v:

13. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    And the 3GS!

14. Mosqui

Mosqui

It works now, so the problem was as you expected. Thanks Taxman. Now I can continue playing Sonic 1 on the go.

15. Jason

Jason

...with the one tiny bug that keeps the Pause button hidden. Unless you pause with the Android Undo key or 'P'. Don't shoot the messenger :v: .

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    So when are we Android peasants going to get Achievements and Leaderboards added to Sonic 1? :specialed:

(flogged)

17. Mosqui

Mosqui

I'm sorry? This isn't an issue on my end. The pause button works fine and I've never had an issue with it. It's there, in the top right corner, as normal.

18. Jason

Jason

Not for me. Guess that's what I get for apeing someone else's words assuming they were in the same boat as I was :specialed: .

The Pause icon does not show up in any saved game during gameplay (so it shows up in the Pause screen itself), even after again uninstalling and starting with a fresh slate of saves, since Sonic 1 Android has no cloud saves (yet). Curiously though, the otherwise invisible Pause icon shows up in the No Save mode. In either case, tapping where the icon would be does pause the game, it's just invisible when playing a saveable game.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I hate to be the one to point this out, but to give you a scale of how little Windows Mobile is cared about at present: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/12/elitist_approach_still_paying_off_for_apple_in_mobile_market/

With that sort of marketshare, it doesn;t make a lot of sense for Sega to be chasing it on a title with a relatively small budget. Sorry, that's just the realistic view of it. Same reason the vast majority of mainstream PC games are still only on Windows.

20. Graxer

Graxer

I just experienced an odd bug when playing the Android version of Sonic 1 (2.0.4, just updated before playing). I reached the special stage at the end of Marble Zone Act 2, collected the emerald and went straight on to Spring Yard Zone Act 1, completely skipping Marble Zone Act 3.