don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. ancara

ancara

After looking at the trailers/images, I gotta say this:

Game mite b cool, as long as we don't have a situation like Unleashed where it's fightan time every 5 seconds and then suddenly [SAX INTENSIFIES]. Also, Knuckles lifts, and Sanic managed to get even longer legs. But as long as the game's fun and the cutscenes cheesy in a 90s way, I'm happy.

Also, I hope to god they set the cartoon to be like what Kirby: Right Back at Ya! did, and just has Robotnik use a new robot every episode to screw with Sonic and Co. And now I want I see him wearing King Dedede's outfit, but I dunno why. :v:

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I swear I see Marine in that picture of all the characters.

3. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    Yeah, pretty much this. I'll admit I actually liked the Werehog gameplay in Unleashed for the most part. Some of the combat got a bit irritating near the end (see also the two big assholes by the exit in Eggmanland HD), and the camera was a bit unfriendly at times, but either way I thought it was fun.

Personally, for Boom, I wouldn't mind seeing something like what Mirror's Edge claimed to do, insofar as there's combat but if you can keep your speed/momentum up, it's not necessarily mandatory. I dunno what the chances of that are, but a man can dream :v:

Looking at Sonic in the TV trailer again, I think the reason his face (talking about just his face here, yeah I know blue arms) looks so odd is because his eyes look smaller than usual, and the additional spines look a bit weird in 3D. It looks more like the bottom spine has a growth sticking out of it:

[​IMG]

Am I the only one who's seeing it, or...?

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Might be the front mouth they had already learned to ditch (except in the Mario & Sonic games, I think?).

5. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    I saw a few people go "I swear, what was Sega thinking with [x thing]" here, but I believe interviews state it was Sonic Boom's game team(not the show team, apparently?) that made the designs, mentioning things like where the idea for Sonic's scarf came from and Sega of Japan disagreeing with an idea for Sonic with pants.

Just something interesting to keep in mind. I kinda wonder if anything besides the idea of "We want more westernized Sonic" came from Japan even? The show is a French animation with Western staff/writers, designs from a Western studio working on a Western game, and none of it's even coming out in Japan!

6. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    I wonder if he had anything to do with the hat in the lower left for Sonic Lost World, as a joke:
    [​IMG]

Probably just a coincidence, Jade Gully concept:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And somewhat stretching it, but Sonic Boom is the name that appears for Ofer's level editor in the few pictures that come up:
    [​IMG]

Though Sonic Boom was also the name of an attack in Sonic Xtreme and Sonic CD

Edit:
    I like the characters in the TV show, but I do not like the models in the game.
    As for people complaining about the blue arms - you are silly.

First ever Sonic sketch had hairless arms and legs:
    [​IMG]

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    "The first concept most of you never saw till Sonic's design was ingrained in you was different, so you're silly for hating that it's different now".

Yea...not exactly. The models in the cartoon actually look pretty alright and, minus the bandage overload, and I could get behind a lot of them (but not Beefcakes). But the blue arms is seriously throwing me off. It's like Sonic is wearing a long sleeve shirt to go along with his scarf.

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    ...Knuckles looks absolutely atrocious. He's too big and his torso looks like it's stretched out. And why did they feel the need to give Sonic a scarf? It looks so out of place... (But I guess Knuckles' hat in the ova looked out of place too.) All Sonic needs is to get rid of that scarf and they need to color his arms tan. Other than that Amy's and Tails' redesigns look awesome IMO. But Knuckles needs a complete makeover... As for the game it looks cool but I hate Skrillex (sp?) and hearing that music in the trailer made me cringe. :v: Am I going to give this show a chance? I suppose I will, but I'll just try to ignore Knuckles' new look... I'll definitely be getting the game when it comes out though no doubt about it.

9. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    You're silly for wanting your characters to look constant from inception till death when:
    - you don't have the same body year to year
    - you don't have the same haircut month to month
    - you don't wear the same clothes day to day
    - you don't eat the same food hour to hour

No one goes up to you and says "You can't get a tattoo! You never had a tattoo!"
    Change happens. That is the new character.

Anyways - can't wait until the new generation of Sonic fans grows up on this new Sonic.
    They will probably end up saying Sonic with flesh colored arms is wrong - and that is okay.

10. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    I think the reason blue arms look so weird is just because (for me at least) peach-armed Sonic is ingrained into us, blue-armed Sonic looks like a colouring mistake.

There was almost certainly a much better way to put that :specialed:

Also

Am I the only one who doesn't really mind it here? It looked bizarre in '06, but it doesn't look out of place to me in Boom.

11. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I did too, just gonna tell myself it's some sassysmart cat girl instead.

12. I have to admit that I am impressed with this direction. The tape is a bit jarring, especially on the shoes. Plus there's Sonic's blue arms. I share the same reaction to most about it, but I guess we'll adjust to it over time. No I'm not going to make a rant about that, since I understand this is a redesign from the Uekawa model. About damn time. How long has Sega been using that design 15 year? Overall Im on board. New body structure, new quill style, the addition of clothes. Its refreshing and I welcome it.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Comparing a fictional character who has never had a certain feature in it's 20+ years of existence suddenly now having it to real life people is rather silly too. As other pointed out, having blue arms now looks like a colouring mistake, because for 20 odd years, it HAS been.

I actually don't feel that strongly about it. But your analogy sucks.

14. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    It's actually a bit strange, and seems to be intentional. Sonic has the side mouth when he's smirking/neutral/whatever, but it moves to front when he's talking.

15. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I think the thing that makes the designs uncanny, for me at least, is the arms and legs. Not the colors but the structure. The characters now have defined, rigid elbows instead of curved noodle-arms. I think it breaks the visual flow of the characters. It's jarring.

Still though, worse things have happened. I'll probably play the game a few times. It is nice to see Sonic being done by a western studio finally though. Gotta mix things up.

16. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    That's the only thing I find weird myself. It's just really odd that Sonic has defined elbows and knees now. He's noodle armed, after all. I'm sure I can get used to it, but right now it's just weird.

17. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I see what you mean. However, from the looks of it, all of those characters are new, so it wouldn't make much sense for it to be Marine. Tthe next one right of "Marine" is purple, so it could be Blaze.

18. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

First of all, let me just say how proud I am of you guys for not getting your hopes up. I picked up feelings that seem to amount to "Yeah, that's pretty bad, I figured as much". You're finally accepting that this franchise is fucked on your own terms, not because you're being coerced to.

They all stepped in toilet paper, looks like. I love all these big visual metaphors for how messed up this franchise is, just like in Lost Worlds when the core mechanics recognized in Sonic were no longer being just perverted, but became so compartmentalized as if to become a singularity, as indicated by most levels being a fucking tube. An open sewer pipe of gimmicks navigated by three goddamn buttons to run. And now this, this clusterfuck aesthetic, complete with nondescript, lazy tropical environments, complete with a Western design philosophy tic of making SOMETHING glow like it's radioactive. The robot dino shitheap Amy's engaging fits like a glove. This aesthetic and it's stupid-ass bandages, which is a metaphor for Sonic and pals coming back from the dead to haunt any delusion or hope or patience you might have left inside you. This aesthetic, supported by a few former Naughty Dog devs who, wouldn't you know it, also made games about a cartoon character going in straight lines. This aesthetic, which looks like the character models in game were birthed from the gaping, pirated vagina of Spore. Mmm-mmm-mmm, gotta love it.

Don't mind me, just gonna go back to waiting for Mario Kart 8, Mario Golf World Tour, and the new Smash Bros. You know, brands I can trust.

19. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Even after mulling over it for a bit I'm still at the conclusion that I'm probably gonna be sitting out this Sonic Boom thing. Not a problem, I never cared for Underground, X and pretty much every game between SA2 and Unleashed either. There's so much Sonic that I don't have to like all of it. I feel so indifferent about this new spin off I could take it or leave it. I don't feel like I hate it, simply that it doesn't appeal to me much at all. It's looks like most western platformers (Racthet, Sly, Skylanders etc) which I find incredibly boring and unappealing.

Considering the pedigree involved No doubt the game won't turn out bad, in fact I bet a lot of people will love it, it's just nothing about it looks very 'Sonic' to me. People complained that Lost World was too Mario but at I'd rather that than being too fetch-quest-openish-world-key-puzzles blah blah blah. It's probably too early to assume it'll be like that but I'd love to be proven wrong.

All this game is gonna do is create yet another fraction of the fandom that will want all future games in their preferred style, making it even harder for Sega to figure out what anyone wants. We already have 16-bit purists vs Adventure fans vs Boost era fans vs people clinging on to SATAM and other dead spin offs etc. Having said that I hope there is at least some clever new ideas in this that actually suit the Sonic franchise, and not just focus tested copy-paste concepts from other games. Also I think this the the closet thing Sonic Adventure fans are gonna get to a SA3, which is interesting.

tr;dr: gonna keep my eye on it, but not fussed if it ends uop not being to my taste, and will wait for whatever next mainline game is.

I'm actually warming up to the new Eggman design in the TV show teaser. He's pretty campy looking in a good way like a baron. Anything's better than bolt nipples.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The elbows and knees are probably the worst things about this. All of the designs though, Knuckles included, are growing on me an awful lot. I don't think I'd be quite so accepting and even optimistic is this was going to replace SEGA Sonic, but I'm more than happy to welcome something this different if everything else is left in tact. Sonic's needed to be developed by a Western studio for a while now. Not necessarily redesigned by one though.