don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I don't think anyone's been saying gloom and doom about this, for those saying "I MUST BE THE ONLY ONE THAT LIKES IT BECAUSE I'm A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE." It's more like... people are still processing this is a thing, and it may be good or bad.

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    The TV series actually sounds awesome in an Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog sort of way. Dr Robotnik taking sonic to court because of an injury? If only the original VA hadn't died...

also, the plot about sonic firing Tails as his sidekick because he's worried about him was literally an AoStH plot.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]

https://twitter.com/awdtwit/status/431521113797976065

Relevant :v:

4. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    The tv show looks sweet. Sonic is still looking weird but way better in CG than the game's model (they could probably fix the weirdness by changing his arm's color, it just looks like a big blue mess but I don't think that will happen). Robotnik looks amazingly good (but anything is better than that Adventure design tbh). The humor is there and I actually laughted a bit, pretty cool. Sonic personality reminds me a lot of Sonic Colors and the show seems that won't have that much of a serious tone but will follow the guides of Adventure Time for humor. It's way better than I was expecting.

5. corneliab

corneliab

Once again, Eggman's pretty much the only appealing thing here.

Maybe some day Sonic will have a decent voice and be even a little bit cool.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Didn't they just do this with Pac-Man. I mean it even looks the same - that generic CGI look.

I'm sure as a species we were more creative with animation a few years ago. Of course we also made good Sonic games too - long time ago now!

7. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    THE FAN ART JUST KEEPS HAPPENING

[​IMG]

Also I'm glad this isn't replacing canon. Sometimes separate universes can be fun guys! Still waiting for those Vantoggle style shorts SEGA!

Edit: Pfff beaten to this by 5 minutes? I knew I shouldn't have tried to come up with witty after text!

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Tv show isn't bad at all. But I'm still not okay with the game. Time will tell if my mind can be changed, but it feels like they've given up making Sonic games and are settling for Sonic-themed ones.

10. In the last half hour alone, I've seen so many "SONIC IS DEAD I'm jumping ship" posts... not much here, but... then again, there's always SOMEONE who says that when a new game is announced.

11. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    [​IMG]

12. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing the Archie comics make fun of this... alternate universe, I guess? I think I could get around some of the odd design changes if the animation (or even the rendered promotional art) was more on par with Marza's previous Sonic work, or even just the in-game cutscenes from Unleashed onward.

Hell, even with the piss-poor in-game models and cutscenes Sonic 06 had, I'd probably have to rate its CG higher than the show clip.

13. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    It wasn't there when I started the new post. The thread is just going too
    FAST

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I found the show clip really charming. A nice mix of Colors style humor and actual movement and action. Plus the taking Sonic to court thing sounds extremely funny.

Now that I know that this is going to be its own thing, I can appreciate it as an experiment and possibly amusing tv show and not have to worry about it replacing the old style if it tanks.

Best of both worlds, really, and if the game has any impressive mechanics, maybe they have a chance to improve the core series as well. Brand confusion may be an issue, but frankly, having a secondary series where Sega can experiment and try new things without having to worry about the core brand being damaged just means the possibility of more refined main-series titles without the issue of trial and error marring it nearly to the extent it has in the past. I'm optimistic about Sonic Boom when I approach it from this direction.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.destructoid.com/sega-announces-cartoon-network-and-tomy-parternship-270128.phtml

Plot - Knuckles runs for mayor.

Oh christ these plots are as delightfully dumb as I hoped

16. Flare

Flare

Enjoyed the TV clip... And well... I felt more offended by STH06 Dr Eggman redesign than this. Looking forward to it more than Lost World.

17. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    There's something about the way Sonic animates that rubs me the wrong way. And Eggman's face is far too soft. But other than that, it seems okay. Not great, but okay.

18. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    Sonic is way too tall, his back is awkward (and he has green eyes ?! Since when ?) Put him in black and white and you'll be able to have him in the next Tim Burton. Eggman doesn't look like an egg at all now, but I like his new clothes, they're more simple. Tails looks more childish than 2000's Tails, which is cool. Also, I like him being the comic relief of the lot (if the writing follows). About Knuckles, they aknowledge the stupidity they gave him in the last decade by giving him muscles. Not that I'm okay with that, I still think the real Knuckles is pinkish and steal Sonic's Emeralds by using secret tunnels.

About Amy, it's like Sega is saying to the internets "please rule34 her, if we do it ourselves, we'll be fired".

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]

Darn those French, slipping insults at the British...

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, I can totally get behind this as a sideproject. Christ, that should have been made more explicit in the announcement. It's like the WiiU unveiling all over again =P