don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Whoo boy, first day back at work after a week off sick, and this is happening. I'm just glad I'll be at Psys this weekend for shenanegans. It will be needed in the wake of this, whatever "this" turns out to be.

Hold onto your nearest and dearests guys, things could get ugly (figurative AND literally?)

2. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Haha, this is happening again! Last time we got together, the Generations OST leaked! =P

3. upg

upg

Anyone know if this event going to be streamed / uploaded? Or is it a private affair?

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's a private affair, and by all rights we probably shouldn't even know that this event is even happening yet. The invite clearly says "not for distribution". All of the info is under and embargo that ends today though, so with any luck we'll get news.

5. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    So, with all of this under embargo should we actually be talking about this?

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

We're not under any kind of embargo - it's those who leaked it that are. The only info that's embargoed at the moment is that fact that there's an event going on today. And once that event is over, the embargo is being lifted. But anyway, it's been confirmed by a second source.

7. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Only 4 and a half hours until a select group of people (and possibly the rest of the world, if the info leaks fast} witness the horror of the new Sonic redesigns.

I'm fairly certain this announcement's going to confirm the Sonic Boom redesigns are the series' new model for the games. And I really don't know how to feel about that :V

8. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I don't know what to say... But that image of Sonic Boom makes me nervous for some reason...

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The invite says that the embargo for the info revealed there ends today, so SEGA will probably officially reveal it today as well.

10. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    My view at the end of the day is that not all designs stay the same forever. Obviously if a redesign takes place and it IS the designs from something nobody has seen yet, of course there will be some backlash. On the other hand, who knows what the final designs are on that show at the end of the day anyway? All you got was one picture and that's it. Besides, was anything implied that the game designs were changing as well?

11. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    The redesigns don't matter if Sega won't start putting quality games out again to go with them. That's really what it comes down to.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Thank you SEGA, but I just want Sonic 3 Taxman+Stealth Remake Edition.

13. Machenstein

Machenstein

I have to agree. The only Sonic-related things worth looking forward to right now are Sonic 3 Taxman Edition and a handful of fan games. It seems Sega is trying to pull a Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures with Sonic, and I can't say that's exactly what I wish for the series. I'm not even sure Sega wants to do that themselves, but they believe it to be a successful business model. It's not wrong to want to make money, but critically successful works are usually based on what the creators want to see. If Sega is passionate enough about this direction, maybe it will turn out good, but only if the passion is there. But when they throw words such as "brand" around, it's obvious what their main intentions are.

14. We should hear something within the hour. Ooooohhhh, boy.

15. Conzuh

Conzuh

yeah yeah big nice Member
    Millennium Dreams
    So our suspicions are all but confirmed.

The thing I don't understand is why SEGA thinks redesigning the characters will help. It's the gameplay that needs attention.

It seems Sonic is forever getting "updated" or "rebooted" to the point where no one really cares anymore. Even worse is the fact that Colours and Generations came the closest to perfecting the formula and yet they've ditched that effort with Lost World.

16. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Time is passing so slowly on this. I just want to rip the bandage off all at once and get it over with.

17. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

I'm pretty nervous about this, haven't been since the initial revealing of Project Needlemouse and Sonic Generations' teaser trailer.

Only there's a fair amount of dread mixed in. Geh, not looking forward to Buffles the Enchilaffa.

18. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I'm looking forward to the internet controversy caused from whatever is announced today. Imagine the shitstorm if Sonic Team is stupid enough to reboot the entire series. It would be hilarious. Personally, I'm not against the characters getting redesigns as long as the new designs are as good or better than what we had previously. It's kind of ridiculous a lot of characters have had similar character proportions for so long. The main cast having more defining visual traits is probably a good thing.

19. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    You've put exactly my feelings into words. When was the last time SEGA caused a buzz like this via an (in this case undesired) announcement of an announcement? Generations. And then there was a whole year without a main series console game, and then Lost World just blinked onto the scene without hype or anticipation. This is a feeling I haven't felt in a long time, and I am both loving it and feeling terrified. Come to think of it, why was this kept secret? The SEGA of like two years ago got off on any and all hype it could muster. These days, it just throws announcements onto the internet stage without a whiff of hype. It's a little disappointing, come to think of it... I have missed this feeling.

20. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I'm already laughing about how ridiculous Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games is going to look if these redesigns are to be used across all Sonic media.

Also when the new Sonic happens, it will become Modern Sonic. What will that make the current Modern Sonic?