don't click here

I just jumped into Phantasy Star Online on Gamecube

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Bartman3010, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    Now that the SCHT Servers are back online, I decided to check out Phantasy Star Online on Gamecube, part of it just out of curiosity, part of it to showcase on a livestream. Also I finally got a hold of one of these:

[​IMG]

Even if you don't have a Gamecube, you can join in the fun using a Dolphin emulator. Though I don't blame you if you're not able to play (and would rather play the PC version which is way easier to set up.) I always wanted to play Phantasy Star Online, but was scared off by the fact you had to pay to play online, which I didn't want to bother with. PSO2 isn't coming for quite awhile, and the original is still alive and kicking. Whats some of your best memories of the game, since I missed out on everything.

2. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Wait, you can play online, use the Dolphin Emulator?

3. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Yeah, didn't Dolphin announce that they finally got a way to get both Dolphin players and console players playing together?

I'm pretty sure they did.

4. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    Isn't cross-platform multiplayer possible? I'm dead certain I played PSO on my PC with a Gamecube player in the party back in the day. Can't recall if it was the original PC release or PSOBB though.

5. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    I used to play this on my dreamcast a couple of years ago via broadband adaptor, used to often play with PC players - pretty sure I played with GameCube players too!

6. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    My old friend from college introduced me to this game. Freaking loved it but I was never able to procure my own copy until last year, when it turned up at V-Stock for about $40. The disc is in kinda meh shape but it seemed to play okay when I tested it, and seeing how that game tends to be expensive I had to jump on it. Now if only the Plus version would turn up for cheap...

Never played the GC version online due to a lack of a broadband adapter. Hopefully I can pick one up someday and give it a go, and it would be a good reason to dig out my actual Gamecube again too (been using my Wii to play GC stuff).

7. Hukos

Hukos

I played the shit of this game back when I had it on the Dreamcast. Haven't played it in years though, part of me wants to change that and get back into my nostalgia fix.

It's pretty neat that Dolphin can play with actual Gamecube players.

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    This thread just reminded me that there's no private PSU server. PSOBB is great, but all of my best memories came from PSU. I'd absolutely LOVE to play PSU again.

9. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    On somewhat of a side note, for those who can't run games in Dolphin at full speed, I believe the Gamecube loader Devolution for Wii can emulate the broadband adapter now. So if you own PSO for GC (a legit disc, as Devo has to verify before it'll work) you can still join in on the fun. That's almost enough to motivate me to pick up a used copy.

10. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    I thought it just emulated the modem adapter? Either way, Devolution can get you online with PSO.

11. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    Right, my bad. I had it mixed up with modem adapter emulation, BBA emulation is still just a planned feature.

12. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    Now I went ahead and bought V2 of the Dreamcast version and PSO Episode 3 just to check out what all I missed out on.

SCHThack is still under DDoS attacks for no good reason whatsoever, and its a shame, because I've been wanting to do this for quite awhile now. I wonder if I should run different classes between the different supported versions, which would mean thats quite a bit of PSO I get to play.

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I have my old HUmar, a new HUcast (I like being an upfront attacker), and I now have a RAmarl I use, but she's more a test dummy for some AR codes on PSO GCN.

On related news, I can now bank mod any item in the game which, until SCHTSERV comes back, is the only way I'll be getting those online only items.

14. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    I tried to see if I can get PSO Ver. 2 on Dreamcast to connect to the internet. For whatever reason, it seems to be the hardest to get online without having to use a CodeBreaker code to bypass the Hunter License check. Its a shame since it looks really good in VGA mode.

15. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I might actually start playing BB myself.

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I'm on SCHTSERV Blue Burst as a RAmarl named Minuit. I wanted to break the last 14 years of playing this game by NOT being a Hunter for once.

Should have done a Force character since they get hilariously OP at later levels, but eh.

17. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I personally would love for someone to somehow emulate a PSU server. I never got the chance to play PSU,

18. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    People are still working on private PSU servers. Unfortunately it seems like people don't have the time or money to maintain one. So people who work on one don't quite have the motivation to move on with getting a PSU server established.

19. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I have my old level 127 HUmar "Tridus", who still has a bevy of ancient weird items acquired back when there was a such thing as PSO GC official servers.

Though, Dolphin's means of connecting to the internet is stupid, so I'm not likely to be online on SCHT much, though I'll try to connect sometime.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Like who? Everywhere I look, development has stalled.