don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Thank you. There's a lot more to show too! I'll post them soon.

Did you removed the unused tiles, chunks and blocks from the art which you want to replace with this new one?

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Ungarbled, that looks gorgeous! What would really tie it together I think is if there was a sort of ripple effect on the reflection in the water. Looking forward to seeing more.

3. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    That's probably where I screwed up, yeah. Going to take a look at it a bit later, see if I can sort things out.

Thanks! Adding a ripple effect is something I'll look into, I'm still working on the art for this level in general. :)

4. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I love what you've got going on there, looks great!
    Look forward to seeing more.

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    That underwater GHZ bit. Nice stuff... though I slightly question the choice of color for the water.

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Out of curiosity, in your editor of choice and disassembly, are you using one 8x8 tile page or two? Remember, GHZ's 8x8 tiles are split into two files specifically, the first for use on the title screen only and the remainder for the level, and it very much looks like the second page there overwriting the first. It might even be as simple as the editor extended the first page and offset the second, but your main level PLC loads the second in its original place. It's either that or object art is overwriting things too, but it doesn't look like it.

7. Kyuu

Kyuu

Ahh, that's probably what's going on then. I'm using the HG disassembly and SonED2. In that case, simple question time; if I change the offset that 8x8GHZ2 is loaded to, should that fix things in-game?

8. Kyuu

Kyuu

Double-post, please don't kill me, but...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That took longer than anticipated :v: (and was a pretty big waste of time considering I'm not even done with the art yet, as the flowers and trees show)

What you can't tell from the still images is that the pallet cycle is still in-game, I haven't gotten around to fixing the water colours/doing something about it yet. Also, I haven't even touched the deformation data yet, so it still uses GHZ's patterns (cloud-wise it looks fine, but the flowers at the bottom and the water/reflection act weird after a little while)

When it comes to importing it for real into the main disassembly I have, I'll have hopefully learned enough about Sonic 1 and its art-loading shenanigans to prevent the background from going nuts like it did before :specialed:

Also, bonus:

[​IMG]

I like this title screen :v: (I know why it's doing that, just don't think it's worth fixing until I actually import the finished art)

9. FireRat

FireRat

Nah. Fuck it. Banned
    Chile
    Mobius Evolution 2
    Some people have been asking me to show some of these stuff, so here I post something to satisfy their wishes :P

These are old videos about my almost finished Sonic 1's hack, called Tails Into Dreams.

I'm not a genious for the pixel art, nor animation, but I tried my best here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9zjDMcL_go
    Since the first time I played Sky Chase, I felt it too flat and blank, so I may try to draw some details for it...

And finally, something really hard I have been on:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Cy-uKsYhQ
    (yes, the japanese text is different :P)

And if that's not enough, some sprites has been made by Baka and Deoxyskyogre...
    [​IMG]
    (unfinished)

... that will be implemented once I draw the bushes, as seen in this image: link

Its actions will be: Jump to hide/unhide behind the bush, walk to Tails, and throws bombs (meh, is the first I thought).

10. Kyuu

Kyuu

Did some more work on my hill zone art...

[​IMG]

I'm not great at drawing plants and such, so modified EHZ trees instead. Also bushes. Working on GHZ's flowers, still.

Ignore Sonic standing on the air like that, it's a bug I haven't fixed yet.

[​IMG]

Changed the Title Card font and mappings. Other than the triangle being a bit too high (It's supposed to have Act 1 resting on it), how does it look? :)

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I love that triangle you've got there, gives a Japanese box art impression!

Edit: the first image didn't appear for me initially. Your little edits to the palm tree look wonderful! As does the whole surrounding in general. It feels fresh, unique, and well constructed!

12. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    I agree with Markey, the edits to the level tiles make it seem very fresh whilst still retaining a certain familiarity. I'm certain that when it is tied in with your background, it will look even better still.

The triangle as well, that triangle. Beautiful. Again, agreeing with Markey, gives a real Japanese box art feel but it also reminds me of something else, but I cannot for the life of me put my finger on it.

Overall, fantastic work and I look forward to seeing more progress.

13. Shockwave

Shockwave

LA, CA
    Sonic: South Island Warped
    I've been showing screens at SSRG for a little while, but I haven't shown anything here so I thought I would go ahead and do so since I just uploaded a new video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLNYwsR_dwg

And here's the video I did before that one, which gives a better tour of the full level and its layout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyyUSrHBHQE

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Liking the level layouts. Judging by the pallette and badniks in the first video, should we expect a Palmtree Panic overhaul?

15. LooneyDude

LooneyDude

Earth
    Untitled Sonic Hack
    Mean mean motobug, so shiny and so sleek,
    mean mean motobug, so polished and unique.
    Mean mean motobug, riding 'long the hill.
    Mean mean motobug needs hedgehogs to kill.
    [​IMG]
    I haven't thought of a name for this hack. Any ideas?

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic: Pastel edition.

17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Hah, I LOVE the expression and design on Sonic. It looks sooo.... classical to me, you know, like Mickey Mouse!

18. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Hoho! Hoh boy! That's funny. He does look like Mickey.

19. LooneyDude

LooneyDude

Earth
    Untitled Sonic Hack
    If you thought that was cartoony...
    [​IMG]
    This is how Sonic will look when he gets killed by spikes. I haven't programmed the routine for him to display this sprite yet, however, I'm working on it.
    Also, I know this isn't the place to ask, but for some reason I can't go on the Sonic Retro wiki when I'm logged on to the forums, only when I'm logged out. If I try, It just displays a blank, white screen.

20. Kyuu

Kyuu

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm just about certain there was an easier way to get this done :v:

If you can't tell, I've ported started porting HPZ over to Sonic 1. I'm more satisfied by the glowing orb object working than anything at the moment, it was giving me a lot of trouble for a while (I did manage to figure it out in the end though, so all is well).