don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Next Markey is going to reveal that the entire program is running in a Sonic hack.

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    It's funny you should mention that, about 4 years ago, I was working on a test engine, and incorporated a functional plane editor using the SEGA Mega Mouse, I believe I showed a screenshot of it back then too:

[​IMG]

Although I never used it seriously, it was pretty fun to make! I managed to dig it up from the grave:

ROM

Simply hold player 2's B and C buttons together for a short while on any screen, to go into the editor. Using either a Mega mouse or a 6-button controller or player 2's port, you can control the cursor and the clickers. I think player 1 with a 6-button controller has some short-cut controls too, but I forget which ones. Enjoy!

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Any thought about layer support? Copy+pasting from other sources? And yes, if this could edit in-game sprites and palettes directly, that'd be superb.

A man can dream.

4. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    [​IMG]

I may be starting up a little side project to recreate Super Metroid using the Sonic 2 game engine as a base. This was a test to see if I could rip the art directly from the SNES rom and port it over to the Genesis so I could use SonMapED to assemble some of the assets to allow easier editing. People over at Metroid Construction (Metroid hacking site) seem interested in the possibility.

5. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Sounds interesting. I remember someone else(was it you?) trying to take the Sonic 2 engine and turn it into Mega Man some time ago, but lost in interest due to the difficulty of writing over another engine. Hope you have better luck.

6. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

I believe it was both Hayate and Sonic 65 that attempted some MegaMan styled hacks in the past, Sonic 65's being much more complete.

7. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Hahahah, I remember once working out with a friend how to do the Metroid physics with Sonic behaviours. Stuff like using the bumper collision routine for morph ball bombs, etc.

Nice one. :)

8. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

I never thought about using bumper collision for those. Interesting idea though.

Of course for this project there will be limitations because of how the SNES handles graphics and the fact the SNES can handle many more colors at once. But it should be fun to make it work for the most part.

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Theoretically, it works almost the same and you could basically make the first frame of the bomb's explosion work identically to bumpers (though change the sound played and disable the 10 points scored). I would totally love to see how you fare with this. :)

10. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    Wow, I haven't been here in... Over two years now? Feels like it wasn't that long ago, time flies I guess. So like, hi again, or something :v:/>

I've been messing about with hacking Sonic 1 again, I've managed to up my understanding of ASM a bit. I'm still way out of my depth, but anyways. I decided to start with some art replacement, because that's something I'm a bit more accustomed to.

After some dumb mistakes on my part, I managed to get the GHZ art to import mostly properly. It's still not finished, I just wanted to make sure I could get it in-game properly. Haven't done collision yet either, saving that for once the art is done. Looking for a bit of feedback on it, so I know what to improve on. :)/>/>

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The loop is one of the chunks that's broken in-game, which I've still yet to figure out (it appears fine in SonED2, even after restarting)
    Here's how it looks in Paint (I've been being careful to stick to GHZ's pallet and keeping tiles aligned properly)

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    That looks like a very nice level so far, especially the added touches to the grass, supoib!

12. Kyuu

Kyuu

Bit late, but thanks! :) Also, thanks for your ASM guide, it cleared up a lot of things.

13. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    I'm recreating some badniks of some sketches I did for Sonic & Bean In Eggland sometime ago, so I think I can show one of them. I did one of the frames of this mad little guy here:
    [​IMG]

And there it is:
    [​IMG]

His name is Dusacoin.

14. LooneyDude

LooneyDude

Earth
    Untitled Sonic Hack
    [​IMG]

I hope Sonic doesn't have any plant alergies...

15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    That is a rather bizarre design. But I like it, and the little touches on Sonic and the plants specifically, they're pretty well done.

16. LooneyDude

LooneyDude

Earth
    Untitled Sonic Hack
    Thanks! Never once in my life did I expect a compliment from the great Markey.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    That's a great design but the body would be better in the spirit of orbinaut than a flat disc. I picture it flying around like the jellyfish in Super Mario Bros though just moving horizontal rather than diagonal.

18. Caverns 4

Caverns 4

Sonic: Retold
    LooneyDude, I like that screenshot, it's got some really interesting things going on, but I think that compared to the background, Sonic pops out way too much. The background is extremely bright, and he's got some crazy contrast going on

Just thought I'd offer a little constructive feedback.

Eduardo Knuckles, that's a really unique design, I like it. The face makes it look like it's going to kiss Sonic to death or something, haha.

I'll just post a couple of screenshots of my main hack as it looks currently.
    I don't know if I've shown off either of these areas before, but here you go anyway:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. LooneyDude

LooneyDude

Earth
    Untitled Sonic Hack
    Thanks for the tip. I may add some brightness to Sonic, although I probably shouldn't due to other levels being a good match to Sonic's shade.

20. Kyuu

Kyuu