don't click here

A lost Sonic game I remember.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Laura, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Graxer

Graxer

That's a very good suggestion, but that day tipped me off to the existence of the Game Gear and I suspect it probably was what I was told it was... I didn't hear about the Nomad's existence until many years later, and even now have never actually seen one in real life.

EDIT: Actually, apparently the Nomad was never released here in the UK, so that would explain why I heard of them so late.

2. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Something similar happened to me . I remember playing sonic 2 over at a friends house for the first time which had mine carts in mystic cave zone during the 2 player mode...
    Maybe I was dreaming it ?! lol but yeah it felt pretty real to me... I really cant remember now.

3. Dan Lioneye

Dan Lioneye

UK
    I had this kinda situation a fair bit with the Mega Drive/Genesis games too.

I swore blind that the first time I played Labyrinth Zone, Act 1 had a waterfall section at the beginning.

I was certain that there was a Knuckles encounter in Sandopolis Act 2 when playing as Sonic/Tails. I recall that one quite clearly too, Knuckles was atop one of the upside-down collapsible platforms that are attached to a wall with the rappelling rope that is used to abseil down walls in that zone.

Probably a lot more too, but those examples stand out the most.

4. This thread has made me realize that we're all pretty much around the same age, and it made me also realize that there are kids younger than us that grew up with Sonic 06 and Sonic Unleashed instead of the original genesis games. Weird as hell.

5. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    This should come as no surprise. This community was founded on the Genesis games, which were released at a certain time and targeted a specific age group in their advertising. Of course the members here will largely be the same people who fit the game's target demographic when it was released.

6. Lurker

Lurker

sleep Member
    I remember the first time I saw Sonic 3. It was previewed on a show in Sweden and it showed a part of Angle Zone. However when I finally got the the game I could never find that single part of Angle Zone that was previewed which made me extremely frustrated. It was a part where you had to jump over a spike object followed by a spike higher up.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Isn't that along the bottom path in act 1 before the island goes up in flames?

8. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Screw y'all, I grew up on Wonder Boy in Monster Land...

..probably why I think the first Sonic is the best and the series went downhill from there... :P

9. Lurker

Lurker

sleep Member
    No, that one was on the roof. Anyway you can find a place in the beginning that matches up with my memory just before you get to the Rhinobot. It's probably a memory of something that never happened, I was a little kid after all. It's a shame I don't remember the name of the show though.

10. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Since we're talking about things we remember happened that didn't or couldn't, I distinctly remember being like five years old and just once being able to beat the miniboss that fries Angel Island 1 before it flies away, and being able to finish the level without it being burnt-up. I think someone was working on a mini-hack along these lines at one point, years after the fact.

11. Vangar

Vangar

I remember the only time I beat Sonic 1 SMS I thought I saw sonic singing into a microphone. Then I looked it up and found out that it is real. A left-over from when Sonic was supposed to be in a band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzD_qSx459g

12. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    When I was 5 years old I had rented Ristar over and over again. I loved that game to pieces. I played it all the time and I could never get past Undertow. Or, I did once or twice, and died immediately in world 3. Despite having played it so much, my brain did a terrible job of filing away those memories. In 2006 I started to remember it again and my memory was mostly the aesthetic beauty of it, but I could barely remember the gameplay or details in the game. Even then it took me a month to remember the game's title. I thought B button was a charge attack and star-guy bashed into enemies. I had completely forgotten the grab mechanic. Curiosity got the best of me so after I remembered the game's title I gave it a spin via emulation, and was blown away by all the things I had incorrectly remembered. Various details I thought were one way were very different, and some things I had forgotten entirely. As I played, it all started to come back correctly.

I'm betting whatever you're remembering is broken childhood memory. The only things I could possibly connect those to have already been mentioned on this thread.

13. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I had a somewhat strange one. When I was a kid I got to the final level of Sonic Spinball, once. I was never able to get there again, for whatever reason. So my memory of the level was completely wrong -- I didn't imagine it as the top of the volcano/veg-o fortress/whatever. I imagined it as being a lot like Toxic Caves, but more... mechanical. Instead of the background being rocks, it was metal. Not so much like The Machine where the background was a circuit board, but the same style of metal instead in the background. So basically, I thought the last level was a combination of Toxic Caves and The Machine. Also, I'm pretty sure this mishmash of levels came from a dream.

I was a little confused when I got there when I was older.

14. SaviourDCX

SaviourDCX

Oldbie
    When I was about 4-5 I went to my cousins house and saw Sonic for the first time on the Mega Drive/Mega CD Model 1 (slot loading).

My memory of the game in action appeared to be a strange mix of Sonic 1 and Sonic CD. I remember seeing Scrap Brain Zone and Sonic running on a track that moved backwards. I remember my cousin performing a run dash. Sonic just spun one of his legs before he dashed! I also remember seeing a bear looking creature on the title screen! I'm pretty sure I remember him going to the time attack mode so I'm sure it was a Mega CD game. Now here is where things get even stranger.. he started playing Marble Zone on Sonic 1 and at the end of the level he did something to the sign goal post like some sort of cheat (weird broken game icons started mixing around) and a special stage ring started lurking downwards on to the screen.

My cousin wouldn't let me play. Eventually I went out of the lounge in to a bedroom with another Mega Drive with Sonic 2 but that was completely normal, my sister wouldn't let me play either. My mum forced my sister to let me play then she walks out of the room and my sister just grabs the controller out of my hand (she was 3 years older). Hell I even remember the Mortal Kombat Annihilation movie being broadcasted on TV about a year before it came out on tape. It could have just been a long trailer though of Lui Kang vs Baraka but I don't remember it that way. I held on to these memories because they are very interesting. I highly doubt we live in a normal reality sometimes.

EDIT

Forgot to add! When my sister got her Mega Drive I received some money as a present and bought Sonic 3. The background music on Angel Island Zone had different music. Then I think a few days later the Mega Drive sound stopped working.

15. Dashtube

Dashtube

'Cause I find memes funny Member
    Sonic Exodus
    It's fascinating how much our minds can distort our memories, even in a topic as specific as remembering Sonic experiences.

16. Vangar

Vangar

Up + A sounds pretty close to the run dash. If he was playing it on a bad CRT with a tuner instead of A/V it might look like he's spinning just one leg.

And Quartz Quadrant has a similar theme to Scrap brain zone, not to mention the boss has a track that moves backwards.

17. SaviourDCX

SaviourDCX

Oldbie
    Really? Up + A is run dash? wow, I never knew that. I guess you can do this in any Sonic game right? :D?

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You guys do realize that you're just remembering old dreams, right?

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Dreams or misinterpreted memories. Who knows, we were all like, 6. Don't ruin our fun :colbert:

20. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    When I was 5... a short time before I got my own SEGA, I'd play Sonic 2 with my babysitter. I could've sworn based on those memories, that Mystic Cave was after Emerald Hill.