don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Except it's just Blast Track. And Sonic R wouldn't be released for another few years; the other two in the "future" section were MUCH closer.

2. I remember seeing this YTMND and chuckling at the juxtaposition of the coffee-obsessed Godot (from Ace Attorney 3) with Wrapped In Black's vocal samples. Obviously those samples aren't referring to coffee, right? In Rush they're referring to the end boss, and surely their original use is similar, not involved with coffee at all?

Nope. In their original context, Malcom X is making a coffee analogy (from 43 minutes).

3. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Don't know if this has already been caught, but I noticed that in the short gameplay clip of Sonic in Green Hill Zone in this commercial, he gains an extra life at 50 rings.
    [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix1zU_7sBf0[/media]

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Also, lower quality DAC samples.

5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    DM Ashura spotted Sonic hacks for sale at MAGFest, for $50 a pop by a shop called "Too Many Games". I wanted to say something about it before too much time passed. He sent me pics, which I'll put up after work if he doesn't beat me to it. But yeah, someone's trying to profit from you folks. Retro's logo is on the boxes too.

EDIT4PIX:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I'm not sure if this is just a fault with the disc I own (the disc has no scratches) but this Japanese demo disc called Dreamcast Express Extra has a demo of Sonic Adventure International on it and it's got some pretty major dumb bugs with it, and I was just curious if anyone had seen anything like this happen with any versions of SA before, or if this is a one off faulty disc. It does it every time I play it so I ripped a quick video:

(warning: video is super loud as its unedited and my capture device does that.)

Mainly the textures of the time/lives/rings are now little puffs of smoke animation frames, and some other textures are messed up like the title screen which seems to use a different texture each time you load it up, and there is a lack of numbers on the jump panels. There is also a complete absence of voice acting and the cut scene that plays when you leave the title screen hangs about in one shot and after the second title screen run the game crashes. I suspect this was a very slapped together demo where they just deleted a bunch of stuff from the main game, removing the wrong textures or something.

Nothing special I mainly just thought it was amusing. Like the timer is constantly exploding.

7. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Dunno why, but those glitched menu screens creeps me as fuck

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh my god, the score tally watches you.

Definately a bad disc, or a faulty lens in the GD drive. Similar stuff happens with my copy of Crazy Taxi, if I remember correctly.

9. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I took a look at a GDI dump of the image and noticed it happened on an emulator as well. Not sure if you own the actual disc but the same thing is happening on this dump I have too.

Looking at the files on the disc I noticed that there were any English files, just Japanese. There are very little pvr files, but a lot of prs files are here. There might be some missing files on this version causing it to do this.

10. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I have an actual disc of it. I played it on my Japanese Dreamcast which is modded to run all regions, though it struggles with some PAL ganes like Crazy taxi which it acts as if the disc is scratched and makes scenery vanish and the music skip about, even though the game is mint. I could test the disc out on my American and PAL Dreamcast's tonight to see if it behaves differently.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's exactly what happens with my PAL copy, although I used to being able to play it without problems. That's why I never knew if it was the disc or the lens' fault... =\

12. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Just tested the disc out on my PAL console, and the same glitches happened, so I guess it's the disc.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird

Boston (Venezuelan Transplant)
    https://rabbitears.rip
    Yeah, except Sonic R is also Traveler's Tales, with some overview by SoJ as far as I can tell.

I have no idea what Blast Track could be, at this point.

EDIT: Sonic R started development after 3D Blast. Sega specifically approached TT in circa 1996 to develop another game for them, which these people could not possibly have known about. It's definitely something else.

14. Covarr

Covarr

I can't tell for sure if this is legit (if it's a fake, it's a damn good one), but it seems this answer recently appeared in Jeopardy:

[​IMG]

Now, I'm sure you all know the correct question for this. And this isn't it:

[​IMG]

15. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Fake for two reasons.

1. 1. Font size is too large for the clue.
      2. There's no way in hell something that easy would be used for Final Jeopardy.

EDIT: Found the source episode: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3189

The actual Final Jeopardy answer:

Category: U.S. Science Cities
    This California city has the honor of being the only one in the U.S. to have an element named for it.
    (What is Berkeley?)

16. Covarr

Covarr

Damn. It was fun to believe while it lasted. Also, I'm seriously impressed you found it. For a show with thousands of episodes, finding a specific one has gotta be tough. But yeah, given the episode number it was easy to find the actual clip. Oh well.

17. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    I searched for "$11,600" on j-archive.com, then went through the results to find an episode where that was a score for Final Jeopardy. Took around 5 minutes. :)

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Where did you find it, to begin with? Depending on the source, it might have given some clues regarding its authenticity.

19. Covarr

Covarr

I initially found it on imgur, which is worthless on its own, but with some searching I was able to trace it back to to some random tumblr post... without any reference, citation, or text at all.

My instinct told me that the average tumblr user isn't smart enough to make a convincing photoshop.

20. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    talking about random things like this...I hope this is fake, but I'm afraid it's not