don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Yeah, I know; I even commented there already. But I should have added the video here, to give it more visibility; so thanks.

2. flamewing

flamewing

France
    So... somewhere between yesterday night and today morning, my first ever Sonic Classic Heroes video (back when it was still called Sonic 2 Heroes and comprised only of Sonic 2) has surpassed the 200,000 view mark in YouTube. I am astounded.

3. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    After you finish with this I hope you give the same treatment to Sonic 3K. Sonic 3K Classic Heroes.

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I think the eventual (give it a few more decades) Sonic 1 & 2 & 3 CD & Knuckles Classic Heroes is going to be a fangame, not a romhack. Just sayin'.

5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Honestly, I'd be just fine with a hack that gave the combi link to Sonic and Tails.

6. flamewing

flamewing

France
    So, I got this suggestion for a 6-button only control mode:
    • ABC: Jump buttons as they currently work in the hack;
    • X: Swap players as A does now;
    • Y: If P2 is an AI, forces that player to behave as if a jump button has been pressed; allows triggering of the character's ability (e.g., in the default order, you can make Tails jump by pressing Y then make him fly by pressing Y while he is on air);
    • Z: same as Y but for P3 instead;
    • Mode: turn super/revert;
    I would probably remove the 3-button mode and require 6-button controllers for SCH if I went that route; at the very least for player 1. Thoughts? Ideas?

7. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Interesting button layout. I wouldn't mind it as long as it didn't make fighting bosses ridiculously easy (ala Sonic 2/3 using 2P Tails).

8. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I'd have it as an option, not necessarily a requirement... then again I know ZERO about how making the 6 button control works... so maybe that's not an option?

9. flamewing

flamewing

France
    So, I implemented a variant of that control scheme:
    • ABC: Jump buttons as they currently work in the hack;
    • X: Swap players as A does now (rotate left: P1 controls who was P2, P2 controls who was P3, P3 controls who was P1);
    • Y: Swap players as X does now (rotate right: P1 controls who was P3, P2 controls who was P1, P3 controls who was P2);
    • Z: Swap sidekicks if they are both being controlled by AIs
    • Mode: turn super (you still have to be on air).
    Moreover, I implemented it in a way that 3-button controllers continue to work as they do currently, it is just 6-button controllers that get all of the benefit.

I have some more things to wrap up, but I may have a new version released in the coming days.

10. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Glad to hear it. I've been looking forward to this more than the new Sonic 2.

11. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    New version? I hope it brings new characters. Twould make a good christmas gift.

12. JojHeywood

JojHeywood

Arbitrary. Member
    Here's hoping to a release before New Year's.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Is swapping sidekicks that important to put it so near the right thumb? I mean, the most important actions are usually mapped to whatever buttons are more easily accessible by the hand.

I'd map them like this, instead:
    -Z: Next character (Important change, to the next character in line)
    -Y: Previous character (Secondary change, to the last character in line)
    -X: Swap sidekicks (Less relevant change, between NPCs)

Now that's a cool idea, even kind of intuitive due to the button's name! :thumbsup:

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    The minute I saw these I thought this is work to remember than something natural. It's better to just have.

X: Sonic
    Y: Tails
    Z: Knuckles

You don't have to think about who you're switching to, this way it's just a case of pressing said button will swap to said character. Simple and effective.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    With the other system you only really need one button (the others are optional for planning ahead), which makes it more comfortable.

16. flamewing

flamewing

France
    I agree with ICEknight -- the 3 buttons for changing to different characters is impossible to downgrade gracefully to a 3-button controller. And he got the gist of the idea that the control scheme is based on being able to plan ahead. The position of the buttons was actually based around using 3 fingers in the control, but I suppose it could be swapped around.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Could you possibly do the Spinball method and have an option to change to various control schemes in the options menu?

18. Marcus101RR

Marcus101RR

Provisional Member
    USA, Florida
    http://leafosgaming.wixsite.com/leafos
    Well, aside from me, I am using the XBox 360 Controller on a Six Button config, and it works fine nonetheless. I suppose a optimization could be in order, but as long as its not game breaking should there even be one?

19. JojHeywood

JojHeywood

Arbitrary. Member
    Just because it isn't game-breaking, doesn't mean it can't be tweaked.

20. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Can Team Chaotix go super?

I got all the Sol Emeralds and it seems I cant transform with them. Or is it because I havent got the Chaos Emeralds?

Never mind, it seems you need both sets to transform.