don't click here

Sonic Chrono Adventure 1.1 - Released

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by LakeFeperd, Mar 11, 2013.

1. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Personally, I like the concept, and it's overall pretty great, but I feel like the level design is constantly trying to find new ways to make me run right into a wall and lose all my speed. This is made worse with Sonic's suuuper slow acceleration. I feel like I almost always have to use the peel out just to get up to speed... but then I run into something again.

Needs more slopes and less ledges. Or maybe even longer stretches of land before the ledges, at least. In many cases, I find that there's just enough room for me to get up to speed, only for me to run into a wall I couldn't see. In fact, thinking about it, most of the level design is really vertically oriented in the sense that I'm constantly climbing upward and always have to jump or use yet another altitude-gaining gimmick to get over one of many ledges or platforms, and it just gets boring after a while.

2. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Holy fuck, I stopped coming to Retro and completely forgot about this.. What a great early christmas gift! Fuck yeah, I can't wait to dig into this.

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Ninja, this is why you PM us so we can publish things like this. :v: Who do you think you are now, Beyonce?

4. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    This goes back to one of my core grievances with classic Sonic physics - the slow acceleration doesn't help at all.

I think this sort of gameplay style would be more enjoyable if Sonic controlled more tightly - kinda like what I did in Freedom Planet in terms of physics modifications. I made the player jump instantly to a speed of 2 pixels per frame the moment they hold right or left, and then they'd pick up speed to 5 ppf in about half a second, at which point it caps until they go down a slope or use an ability that pushes them above this speed. I think it strikes a nice compromise between speed and tightness and allows for moderate platforming precision, so long as you design your levels around it.

5. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    Wait, I can do that?
    I mean, I would feel like a jerk telling people to advertise my games not knowing if they are interest or not. Expecially retro.

Anyway, if you can pubish it I would appreciate it =P

6. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    So I finished the game's story last night, and had a good time with it! Though I think I sequence-broke a little; + - out of curiosity, are you supposed to beat Coconuts SP before, or after the Polem Palace section/arc? I beat it afterward, but I first enountered it beforehand. Speaking of that, maybe you should use a different sound effect/indicator for boss damage? I didn't know that I was actually damaging Coconuts SP until his shield came off, because the sound effect of the Bumper Gloves punch made it unclear. Also, is there much of a postgame? I ask because after completing the game, I returned to the last save point before the final stage. Is it Mega Man Battle Network styled or something?  

I should also mention that there were a couple instances where I left a section, and jumped to the area before the one I left upon returning through the same path I came through.

Sorry I can't remember the specific zone/area, but to clarify, it went like this:

Area 1 --> Area 2 --> Area 3 --> Area 1

7. Falk

Falk

We caught one of those on MegaG's stream as well.

8. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

I thought some people might be interested, so I decided to make a full dump of the game's music. The format is OGG, and I archived all the files as a RAR. The link is here:

SCAdump.rar

9. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Aren't most of the tracks recycled from Before/After the Sequel? And what's the point of hacking a fan game to begin with?

10. winterhell

winterhell

Now go and make a split disassembly :v:

11. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

@.Luke
    Well, the only point I see on it is that some music I used isn't very "well known", that is, is a random track from a random game people don't play as often anymore such as: super paper mario, KH3D and expecially Ace Combat Zero.
    Compared to sonic 1 anyway.

Aand, just out of sheer curiosity.

@TheInvisibleSun

Yeah, I've seen it before thanks to mega g wolf's stream, still, it's a really wierd glitch cuz I really thought I already fixed it.

12. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    The music that plays in.. Great Gap I think it is when you first get there. What is that? I know I've heard it.

Edit: Wait a second.. Is it some sort of remix of "To Zanarkand" from FFX?

Edit Edit: Nevermind, it's Movement in Green. Fuck yes.

13. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

There's a lot of music in this game I'm pretty sure people won't know where they are from, like this one.
    Ace combat 5 and zero are atually pretty decent, it's wierd I haven't found a single person that already played those in my entire life.

Anyway, as you guys might already know, this IS my last sonic fan game but... I'll be still making games. Here's a teaser

[​IMG]

EDIT: I know it looks similar to my avatar, but the rest of the design is quite different.

14. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Original content from the person who's made arguably the best three Sonic fangames in existence? Buddy, I'm all ears. Just subscribed to your YouTube in hope of seeing something soonish. :D

15. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

So far, I'm still getting the engine ready, which means it should be a while before I show the game. Although, the test level is based of something you guys might recongnise (NOT sonic or kirby or mario related) and yes, the test level IS an actual level, original art and everything, so I might show that soon.

16. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    LakeFeperd, is the
    giant black eggman blob final boss made up of/based on Ferrofluid? Because if it is you beat me to the creative punch. I had an idea for a boss with this for a game I thought up of several years back in high school, however I never made it/canceled before it was even begun. Waaay before I started sonic hacking and NEVER made past the idea stage, nor did I ever tell anyone. On a side note a few of game's bosses would have been based on the named music tracks of Sonic Battle. I am amazed that someone had the same obscure idea as me that had the talent to back it up.

17. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Humm... it was supposed to be some random magnetic fluid, I totally forgot about the existence of ferrofluid during the game's development but I did know it existed. Maybe it inspired me on a subconscious level or something but I do see where you're coming from.
    Well, that's interesting.

18. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm just leaving those here for now.
    I'll be making a thread once I annouce the project and, of couse, show the name of it.

Anyway, enjoy.

19. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Ah ha I get it.
    Beam power only.
    Dream Dance health gimmick.
    ATS level gimmicks comprising the levels.

+ - I'd play it.  

20. Faseeh

Faseeh

The art looks great Lake! All the best!