don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Won't fly here, but you're welcome to take a crack at it in your own Sonic 2 hack.

Mind you, this idea has come up multiple times in the past several years, but no one's really acted upon it. Lots of laziness around these parts.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    That seems like a terrible, out of place idea though.

3. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    ^I agree, but I gotta admit that Wood Zone's trees with the large open holes that you can enter are pretty reminiscent of those transportation pipes present in Metropolis Zone

It was slow for me at first too. After restarting Bluestacks it ran normally. I wonder if the slowdown was possibly caused by adobe flash because watching Twitch streams or visiting some other flash heavy site would cause Bluestacks and Paintshop to lag sometimes.

4. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.

The main menu works perfect for me but the actual game runs about 1.5x - 2x the game's normal speed. The music and sfx plays at normal speed, which causes sync issues such as drowning before the countdown music ends.

5. corneliab

corneliab

If people want to use Super Tails just crack open a super monitor.

6. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Lol I skipped Hill Top boss by flying over it. Reminds the trick with Icecap act 1 boss skipping.
    Also found a tiny Tails part in Mcz2 in that part, with the hidden checkpoint in wall. Mcz1 had also a tiny Tails part with checkpoint and two boxes.

7. Machenstein

Machenstein

My idea could be less elaborate, I guess. Including the Sonic CD time travel feature would be a bit overkill. Do people even want to see Wood Zone anyway? I'm under the impression Cyber City is where it's at.

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So...What is the name of the new boss?

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    How does character selection in competition mode work?

10. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    I move for + - Brass Eggman   .

11. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    I didn't see anyone post this, so I'll mention it. The iOS version got an update today.

[​IMG]

12. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    This is amazing. My friend DaGuAr looked at this and found some text strings about ut, but cannot find more. This needs more explaining and investigation.

13. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Why? Because these remakes are fantastic and they should've been on the PC first, or at least consoles. Phones are expensive and don't exist for games, they just happen to be able to play games, and I can't get a whole phone just for this game, I would have no other use for it. They still have Sonic 1 and 2 available for sale on Steam and they could easily replace those with these updated versions. There is virtually no reason not to, it doesn't make any sense, it would only benefit them as they'd rake in many more sales, assuming they don't even care about their audience. It would be like an official remake of Majora's Mask with tons of enhancements and excellent new features that's only released on something like the fucking Ngage, despite the engine being easily portable to other/more appropriate platforms. A huge, confusing, soul crushing disappointment to the fans that simultaneously chokes the company's profits.

14. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Egg Gauntlet was the original plan for the Boss Attack. All I can say.

15. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxGuVDzDzSJdgYvF58dwaDydU9Oad2vru

Keep an eye on this space for the entire launch stream re-hosted on Youtube at the bottom of the playlist. Nearly the entire four hours made it.

16. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Off topic reply to something I missed three months ago:

It wasn't that last minute, at least not in a conceptual stage. The Wai proto (which I'm pretty sure we all agree is an alpha by Sega's standards of the day) contains all the code necessary to cycle the palette for Super Sonic, and in fact contains pretty much the same (if not outright identical) rotating palette. Perhaps the actual implementation of Super Sonic was towards the end, or perhaps they were going to use the rotating palette for something else and then applied it to Super Sonic after-the-fact, but that rotating palette goes back to the earliest days of Sonic 2.

17. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Regarding Egg Gauntlet:

Basically during development, we tried something different for the Boss Attack mode. Instead of the original bosses back to back, they were all in the one zone with connecting platforming sections - the idea being that it was a testing facility, with mechanical palm trees, flashing lights etc etc. It was fairly close to completion (it just needed a few graphical effects, replacing placeholder graphics, and general polish), however Sonic Team didn't agree with changing the location, colours or graphic style for the Bosses.

So in the end we respected the wishes of the team and put together the Boss Attack you see today.

18. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Well that's disappointing.

Maybe just maybe if we all hold hands and complain loud enough the Sega brass will finally give you guys all the wiggle room you need when/if your next Sonic related project rolls along. At least we got Hidden Palace though.

19. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Well, Sonic Advance 1 did it. At least that explains why there was art from Sonic Crackers in there...

The files for Egg Gauntlet are still present. I've been digging around for a few hours, and so far it looks like the Retro Engine Dev menu is the only way to access it. I'm going to assume that given the circumstances, the only way to access it is probably via hacking. Since if they didn't want it, it becomes like Hidden Palace once was. I haven't completely ruled out there being some kind of in-game way to get to it, but I'm guessing based on Taxman's statement above that hacking is probably the only way to see it.

20. Vangar

Vangar

So can we know how much of the new Hidden Palace was created from found art assets vs. how much was imagined by Tax/Stealth ? Is that boss a left over or original? How about those jetpack hangers sonic jumps onto? All very exciting!