don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I very much want a digital (or physical) collection of these releases on console at some point, though I've got the game playable on my TV now with no issues. Or at least I played S1 that way. Haven't tried remote2joy for s2 yet, but I can't see why it wouldn't work with the same button layout.

Still, an official port would make these widely available to all gamers, and that just needs to happen. Team TaxStealth needs to be given the chance to do more than just rebuild an old level or 2.

Of course, logistically speaking, a game is developed by more than 2 people, so I guess it's hard to say how a full title by them would fare.

What I'm really keen to know is what level of input did Sega have over HPZ's development? Did ANY ST members, current or former, have a say in how the level turned out? Were there ANY old concepts we didn't know about that you added? Old art? You found this stuff for CD, I'd like to know if you discovered more for S2.

(Oh, and as horrible as I may be, I'd still love Dust Hill/Wood/Cyber(Genocide) City DLC ;P )

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Woah, wait, Wood Zone was considered? Where was this mentioned?

Amy.

Well it was worth a shot. :P

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    HPZ was pushing it enough. I doubt Wood Zone was considered.

4. jackaroo

jackaroo

Absolutely love this port. The addition of Hidden Palace zone is amazing. The level itself is fantastic and the boss is unique. I love all the little gimmicks in the stage. Like many though I would prefer the Unused Music so if an option could be added to switch between the 2 in the future that would be awesome. The entrance to the level is also genius. I never would have expected that. I also love the extra cutscene at the end.

I just recently did a playthrough with Tails & Knuckles aswell and came across a few new routes. I know this was done for Sonic 1 but as Tails & Knuckles were here previously I didn't really expect for some new routes to be added here too. Now that I know they are though I will be replaying each level as them again hunting high and low for hidden areas.

For those interested the Tails/Knuckles routes I have found so far are :
    Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 : Go into the secret route towards the end that lets you bypass the water. If you fly/glide on top of one of the last few loops there is a whole new section with a few extra goodies.
    Hill Top Zone Act 1 : After the second lift fly/glide on top of the loop and another new section has been added.
    Hill Top Zone Act 2 : I'm not 100% on this one but pretty sure it is a new section. I don't remember the exact way to reach it either. I was following the top route and eventually reached an area that seemed like it could only be completed with Tails/Knuckles. I was knuckles at the time and it seemed suited to his wall climbing and gliding but it felt familiar too. I think my brain was just playing tricks on me though.

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

There was only some basic plane art for the level and about two seconds worth of collision to walk through in the beta, so it's understandable if they didn't try it. I'm just interested if this claim is true.

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I don't think anyone claimed that Wood Zone was considered, just expressing hope that it would be added at some point.

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Ah, I see now. Misinterpreted it. Sorry.

8. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    So... Anyone planning on making a Sonic 2 hack with this Hidden Palace restored? I want to play it on my Megadrive! :p

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I'll repeat what others have said here about that Hidden Palace entrance, it's was a genius place to put it. Regarding Hidden Palace, there is new art that I've never seen before. Are these recent designs or were they supposed to be in the level before the level was scrapped. Also has anyone uploaded videos of the special stages? I really want to see how super slick they are and how they play.

EDIT:

Just seen one and it looks fantastic. My only gripes with it is that it looks like you didn't tweak the jump so you can control the height of it like when you're playing the main game and the draw distance of the special stages should be unlimited, or at least we should have the option to do that if we want to. Also I don't recall being able to jump that high in the special stages.

10. That seems odd to me. No Super Tails in single player? Sonic 2 and Knuckles, you could be super yes? I wonder if this port still allows Knuckles to be super...

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Knuckles can still go super with 50 rings and all the emeralds. Makes sense that Tails can't since he never could in Sonic 2 or Sonic 3

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    All of that works just like in the classics, no real surprises here.

13. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Yes Knuckles can go super. The game is just following the old school rules here.

Sonic/Knuckles + emeralds = super | Sonic/Knuckles + super emeralds = hyper
    Tails + emeralds = nothing | Tails + super emeralds = super

14. Yeah, yeah, I guess rules are important...

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    After messing around in debug and then comparing stages with stealth's own s2 genesis maps, I'm pretty sure you've found the only exclusive tails/knuckles paths (with the CPZ2 one being crazy because it's a secret path within a secret path!), you can tell from the map layouts that those acts were the only ones which really had room for more being added in.

Still, great to see new routes making their way in too. Once again, makes the game feel so much more amazingly complete!

16. jackaroo

jackaroo

Well I did manage to find one more. But I don't really know how I got there.
    Chemical Plant Act 1 : Like I say I can't really say how I got there. Just stumbled across it whilst flying with tails. I think it's on top of one of the loops you go round when the camera would lose track of you in the original. The end of the route is near the end of the level. On the section where you come out of a tube and there is a 10 ring monitor on the right and a platform that lowers leading towards the exit on the left, if you fly/climb up the right hand wall then that leads to the end of the route. You can't backtrack through it though. Also in that same section if you fly up the left hand side with tails there is a checkpoint and a monitor (Don't know what was in the monitor though as I had random monitors on at the time).
    Even if these are the only additional routes it is still a great addition. I wasn't expecting any to be there in the first place so it was a nice surprise.

While I'm here there is something that I've always been curious about aswell. Do those 3 moving platforms at the very start of Chemical Plant act 1 actually do anything? I mean there is one that goes up that leads absolutely nowhere. Do they actually serve any purpose? Since I was a kid, They have just always seemed out of place to me so just figured I'd ask about them.

17. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I mentioned this in the hacking thread yesterday, but nobody had any comments on it.
    [​IMG]
    Boss attack is Stage 10.
    Hidden Palace is Stage 11.
    Egg Gauntlet is Stage 12.

I previously thought that Boss Attack and Egg Gauntlet might be the same thing, but they're two separate stage folders.
    There are files present in the Stage12 folder, but I have yet to figure out if there's a way to play that level without hacking the game. My options are limited right now since I don't have a jailbroken device, but it seems that the game doesn't load it from a hacked save file. On an unmodified iOS device, if I modify Data.rsdk the game won't launch because of the signature check on the .ipa.
    I may try editing it on an Android device, perhaps that won't be so strict. Based on the data files, I'm not really sure what to expect. I didn't see anything unusual, but I haven't looked over everything.

18. Machenstein

Machenstein

The fact Tails can't turn super balances out the characters since they share the same basic abilities. All three of them can roll, Spin Dash, jump on enemies, and they all run at the same speed. The only differences are that Tails can fly, Knuckles can glide and climb walls, and Sonic can turn super. Yeah, Knuckles can turn super too, but he can't jump as high as Sonic or Tails. In the end, I think it's okay that Tails can't go super, at least not with the Chaos Emeralds.

Also, I have an idea for Wood Zone and Cyber City. Wood Zone used Metropolis Zone's music in the Simon Wai prototype. Metropolis Zone Act 3 was planned to be Cyber City, so here's my idea. In Metropolis Zone Act 3, put Past and Future signposts in some hidden rooms throughout the level. Activating either signpost would create a bunch of sparkles above the signpost for Sonic to jump into. If you use the Past signpost, it takes you to Wood Zone, or Metropolis Zone Past. If you use the Future signpost, it takes you to Cyber City, or Metropolis Zone Future. It wouldn't be a Good nor Bad Future, just a Future. You could also put a robot generator in Wood Zone so destroying it would eliminate all of the enemies.

Just a wild idea I have.

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Knuckles can't jump as high as everyone else but besides that, yea.

20. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    I can't be the only one with this issue, right? Does anyone know how to get the game to run only at 60 fps?