don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Machenstein

Machenstein

Among the pre-merged games was Sonic Nexus which was the only other Retro Engine game with a playable demo. It all ends there, unfortunately.

I would argue that Sonic Advance 1 is the closest thing to a proper Sonic 4 that we have. I know Dimps developed it, but that was shortly before they began to lose sight of what makes 2D Sonic work. As much as I would love to see a Taxman port of Sonic Advance, I wouldn't mind if they ended the ports at Sonic 3 Complete (as opposed to Sonic 3 & Knuckles) and went on to make new 2D Sonic games. If they decide to redo Sonic 4, I hope the Episode 1 levels are remade into something beyond Sonic 1 and 2 rehashes. For example, Splash Hill could be a grass level with some water park elements such as Tidal Tubes from the fan game Sonic Zero Remastered, hence the "splash" in the name.

2. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    [​IMG]

Heh heh heh

(Oh yeah, you can pick Knuckles + Tails here too)

3. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    I know for a fact that was Craig Stitt who made that comment you're on about. Trust me.

It's nice to know he was really happy to have heard the news.

Having Hidden Palace Zone implemented back into Sonic 2 tips so many hats (original game designers, Sonic community researchers, enthusiasts, etc.). Plus, it's officially now and forever how the level will be portrayed by SEGA.

I'm digging all the other cool additional stuff that's in Sonic 2. Be it new stuff or stuff from it's original development. DAT ENDING IN SONIC 2!!!

4. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    >Simon Wai's Sonic 2 Beta Page
    I love you guys.

Was it ever said if Sax/Stealth got any input from any of the original devs on HPZ? That'd be rad if so, but fine if not.

5. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Found one in the upper parts of CPZ1 and CPZ2. Act 2 also has a bunch of extra "nooks and crannies" that weren't there before chock full of monitors and rings.

6. Nova

Nova

Dat post-Credits, all-emerald scene.

7. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Why does he say it was cut days before the games release? That would imply it was a finished zone, but last I knew the same pointer data from Simon Wai's proto is what's in the final.

8. Skaarg

Skaarg

^That. The screenshot was taken from my Galaxy Note 2. Also I tried to get a screenshot while in a turn and was semi-successful. It's a bit hard to do lol.

[​IMG]

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Does this mean Sound 10 was actually meant to be for something else like some claimed it was long ago? Also which track do they use for Mystic Cave 2P?

Also any debug goodies found yet? I heard something about a AoSth colored Grounder.

10. RedMetallix

RedMetallix

Supreme Thunder Member
    A desk.
    What? Don't be silly.
    I thought the background distorting was intentional honestly and never paid it much mind.
    Also the special stages seem like they're harder now, not sure if its because the touch controls feel really stiff or if its because it runs faster.

On the plus side its much nicer to actually see bombs coming up as opposed to them suddenly popping up.

11. It was made for the cutscene in which a young fox named Miles "Tails" Prower, guardian of the Master Emerald, gives you the power to go Super Sonic after having collected the seven Chaos Emeralds. :ssh:/>

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think the characters' collision is a bit too narrow. It seems to be more difficult trying to get two parallel lines of rings at once.

13. Machenstein

Machenstein

I always wanted Sega to canonize Scratch and Grounder. This could be their first step. :v:

14. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I don't know if Taxman and Stealth are reading all these comments, but I just had to come give you guys my kudos. A sincere thank you to everyone who developed, tested, and pushed this game through the beurocracy of SEGA. Sonic 2 is the favorite game of my life, simple as that. I used to spend hours reading Sonic comics and listening to the HPZ music at the local grocery store in the sound test because my parents wouldn't buy me a Genesis. After 20 odd years I finally get to play it, and it really means the world to me.

You guys haven't just made my day or my week, you've made my fucking millenium. I bought this port right away and I bought every other as well. Amazing, brilliant work guys.

Are you guys doing any 2 player matchmaking? That was the thing I was most excited about, until I heard about HPZ being finished.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    So it's only one act and it pre-empts Mystic Cave 2?

Meh.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Is there any way to make that menu appear without a "back" button?

17. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Didn't know there was supposed to be a back button.

Anyway, here is how I accessed it -
    Press play 3 times on Sound Test *00*

18. Xilla

Xilla

Excellent work Taxman and Stealth :) Had a quick go earlier and it's all good! Special Stages are taking some getting used to but they're awesome too :)

Had a multiplayer match earlier, ragequit by my opponent who didn't realise that rings, score, items etc count as much as making it to the goal first :D

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Do the 2P songs play for EHZ, MCZ, CNZ in 2-player, or is it the original tunes?

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I love that. People blast right for the goal, then ultimately lose because of every other facet.

That said, I don't know why people ragequit. There's no W-L record kept. It's just for fun multiplayer. Lighten up, you tryhards.