don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah... While it's neat having a new boss and all, I think the battle would have flowed better by ditching the big bomb and just having the smaller ones do what the big one does. It just takes too much time till you can actually inflict some damage.

Also, it's not immediately obvious that the Eggmobile's engine can harm you, since it doesn't anywhere else. Some spikes would have worked better, in my oppinion.

2. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    I asked earlier in the thread and didn't get an answer, so I'll rephrase my question: Can anyone show off the level select and debug stuff in this? Would really like to see it.

3. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    If nobody else has gotten to it by tonight, I'll do it. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to do that with BlueStacks.

4. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    For those who have Super Sonic already, is it single or double jump button activation?

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Double jump

6. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Excellent!

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    OK, anyone running Bluestacks want to clue me in on how I can play this? I really want to purchase it and show my support for "Team Stealth-Tax", but it's not showing up in the app store for me - I can only assume it thinks Bluestacks is an incompatible device for some reason. Does anybody who's got it to run have the know-how to help me out? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question - I'd just really like to be able to purchase this and play it myself.

EDIT: Nevermind - sorted it. = D

8. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Ok. Dat Hidden Palace. 10/10 :ruby:

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That fucking Hidden Palace entrance. 10/10 cannot believe you actually went and did it. =P
    THE EMERALD SHATTERS INTO PIECES ON BEING HIT
    Wish there was a way of buying a stand-alone APK.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    You mean scrap everything it offers and replace it with an entirely new game that isn't horrible??

idk I think you'd have to track down Hirokazu Yasuhara first, because numbered sequels have to be done properly, or not at all. And it would probably involve dropping any references to Sonic CD altogether because that one's not a thoroughbred!

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Idk, I feel like some things can be saved.

Winter Park trope
    Oil Desert trope
    Metal Sonic
    Maybe Sylvania Castle trope
    Death Egg Mk II
    Sonic 4 Ep 2's new badniks

That's about it though.

12. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    *cough*

Anyway, I'd be quite interested in watching a video of the secret ending. Has anyone recorded a playthrough that contains it?

13. Tyty

Tyty

KNUXEDO KAMEN Member
    ↑ & ↓ & ↻
    Honestly?

I'd Splash Hill fits in too, but only because every sonic game has a green hill.

14. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    There's only three viable options I can ascertain: one being using glovepie to have two cursors and attempting to trick Bluestacks into thinking there are two touchpad presses; two being using a gamepad and mouse to simulate the touchpad presses; and three being getting a gamepad to actually work with Sonic 2 Android edition. I said viable because they could theoretically work, but would be really hard or impossible due to Bluestacks' shittiness.

It was a real mess getting the actual damn thing on there for me. Here's a quick and dirty guide:
    • First, make sure you have a Google account that supports Google wallet. My main one doesn't so I used another. This is important.
    • Second, actually install bluestacks.
    • Follow this video to the letter, including getting launcher pro because launcher pro sucks 10x less ass than whatever Bluestacks uses.
    • Follow this guide too.
    • Next, go here in your OS' browser, NOT bluestacks', it's the Sonic 2 Google Play page: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.sonic2
    • Make the purchase, and it'll say that the app will be on your device shortly. (It won't)
    • Go into bluestacks, go to the google play store via launcher pro, find Sonic the Hedgehog 2 through it, install it, and it should appear in launcher pro.

15. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Just a thought. How did you get permission to essentially create a new Hidden Palace with a new boss but not get permission for Desert Dazzle and Final Fever for CD?

Also, would the fact of having the assets and music of a previously existing zone unlike DD and FF would help a decision?

16. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

I think Oil Desert offers more than just a trope. It has a cool concept its trying to accomplish , though it's a bit out of order, but I think a future Sonic game could make use of it.

The three acts have the zone in three states. One is just the regular level, one is in the midst of a sandstorm, and one is the aftermath of the storm with oil spilled everywhere (flip acts 1 and 2 around, and you've got a perfect progression). If our hypothetical Stealth-Tax levels had dynamic level progression like that, not only would it feel like a logical progression from S3&K, but also open up new level gimmick possibilities. S3&K experimented a little with this in Sandopolis Act 2 and Lava Reef Act 2 as well. It makes them both feel like you're progressing, but not losing cohesion by making them feel completely unrelated to each other.

17. The hypothetical Sonic 4 remake would be better if it wasn't done using 16-bit art. I want to see detailed sprites running on the Retro Engine. The extra detail would justify the reused tropes, too!

18. Falk

Falk

If things do go the new game route it'd really be time to move off 240p. Great. The original Genesis games were pixellated. We get it. You've paid your dues.

It's possible to make new games taking advantage of today's resolutions and hardware (de-)limitations while preserving the gameplay and atmosphere of a franchise's heritage. Virtually every other mascot platformer has done it.

(No offense to Strife of course. Freedom Planet looks gorgeous)

edit: how dare you beat me to it I demand you delete your post and repost it so mine appears first

19. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Sonic 2's just been released and we're already clamouring for Sonic 4 "as you truly imagined it" edition. At least let SEGA try to fiddle with the legal quagmire that is Sonic 3nK first.

That said, Stealth and Taxman, it's perfect. Everything I've ever wanted from a remake of this game...
    the Hidden Palace pit, the continuity-bridging ending, the Egg Trombonicator...
    I just can't wait to play it. Sadly, a lack of PC/Windows Phone release pair means I'm completely unable to play it or pay for it, giving you the cash you deserve, but hopefully either (or both) will come soon enough.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I would guess a combination of available assets and having 2 solid games behind them (well, 1 and a bit for Stealth, but you get the idea). Back in CD, from Sega's point of view, Tax was still something of an unproven. Moreso because CD hasn't had anywhere near the exposure (saturation?) that Sonic 1 and 2 have through emulated releases, so may have been nervous about changing too much out of the gate.