don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    DYNAMIC SONIC! EXCITING SONIC! STYLISH SONIC! UNBELIEVABLE!

Man I shouldn't laugh. I really shouldn't. But I am.

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Actually this is pretty normal, gambling machines in japan are constantly video game and anime themed. fuck some of them have their own little storys, check out this Lupin the 3rd gambling machine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAT0Ki43Zl8

I did too, fuck it was funny. :v:

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nah it's more the video that's just silly. Also I don't understand these machines very well, so it looks kinda funny seeing random numbers flying around.

AND WITH THE NUMBER 3, THE POWER OF THE CHAOS EMERALDS ARE YOURS!

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah I wish we could get it translated so we can see what the demostrator is talking about.

So lets say out of 1 in a billion chance someone in the community got ahold of 1 of these machines, would it be possible to extract the assets from 1 of these things? I do wonder how the actual game part of this machine works.

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Bump.

Since the subject is on about Sonic 2 as of late, I like to bring up a forgotten mobile port that was never added into the wiki even though the Sonic 1 version was.

Guys ever heard of "Sonic 2 Part 1 - Dash" & "Sonic 2 Part 2 - Crash"? its also known as "Sonic 2 J2ME":

http://www.soniczone0.com/games/sonic2/miscellaneous/

See that? The title scrren looks a bit different on the Low Rez Version. The High Rez version looks like the Sonic 2 title screen 'cept with the added words, like so:
    [​IMG]

And I think theres different versions of this because look at this image I ran across, a Low Rez Version but with a different title screen:
    [​IMG]

And Crash has a different final boss:
    [​IMG]

Found the Splash Screen that was used for this port in HQ in my google searching, it was done by Andrew Eric Howard:
    http://www.andrewerichoward.com/portfolio/sonic-2-dash
    http://www.andrewerichoward.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/GluMobile_Sonic2Dash_splash_1000x1335.jpg

And SSMB found a few videos of it too:
    Hi-Res:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4cSyWh1O3Y

Low-Res:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a69cJzT5ATU

And speaking of SSMB, our own Slingerland even reviewed the hi-res version of port @ Sonic Stadium waaay back when.

So should it be added to the Wiki?

6. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    It takes a bit of time to get to it, but the AVGN briefly covers a few bad Sonic games. Sonic Blast, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic R, Sonic Shuffle, and Shadow the Hedgehog.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONYyFiKjJ20

And I know it was filmed a while ago, and in character, but I still find it funny that he begins the segment questioning "What bad Sonic games?" when a few days ago, James and Mike played Sonic 06.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI0WX9me-3w

7. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I remember playing that Sonic 2 Dash on my cell pone back in the day, I think I still have it somewhere....

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Hi-res or low-res version? how was it?

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yes

10. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    Neither. It has Hi-res graphics, but there is no Tails at sight. I also have Sonic 1 ( both parts), Sonic Spinball, Sonic Unleashed ( this is pretty interesting...) and a few more. Might record a video later. I would like to have lo-res version, it greatly remembers me of Sonic 2 8 bits.

11. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
  12. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I remember writing about Sonic 2 J2ME back when I was under trial membership, if I remember correctly there are 3 versions of each game, for different tiers of devices:

Sonic 2 Dash:

For "high end" Sony Ericsson 176x220 and 240x320 devices, those have full graphics (176x220 is scaled down), accurate physics, intact layouts and include Tails, interestingly Tails will sometimes break open item boxes.

For "high end" Nokia/generic J2ME 240x320 devices, they have full graphics, accurate physics, intact layouts but lack Tails.

For low end 128x160/128x128/176x208 devices, they have lower quality graphics and use the Sonic 1 sprites, physics and level layouts are completely different and lack Tails.

Sonic 2 Crash:

For high end Sony Ericsson phones, the 176x220 version was dropped, otherwise the same as before.

For high end Nokia/Generic J2ME 240x320 devices, same as before but backgrounds are gone.

For low end devices, same as before.

Back then it was customary to make the full version of a J2ME game for Sony Ericsson 176x220/240x320 smartphones and then scale down for other devices, as those had the fastest and most featured JVM implementations, the same kind of tiering can be seen on other J2ME games, particularly on Gameloft's Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Advance.

13. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    I wonder if you can get the lower end versions somewhere...I really like how they look, they remind me of Sonic 2 8 bits.

14. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    The AVGN and James outside of AVGN videos are two separate entities, IIRC, so "canonically" the AVGN hasn't seen 2K6 before.

Also Hideki Ikeda would be "HI" in the upper-left there.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird

Boston (Venezuelan Transplant)
    https://rabbitears.rip
    Oof it's been ages since I've posted here. Kinda wish I could change my username but oh well.

Anyway I was reading the Sonic Mars script (Michael Kosaka script released by CulT what seems like ages ago) and on page 48 (filename sonicmars49) there's something slightly interesting - a list of games that is "Competition" to this Sonic Mars project. The interesting bit is in "Future SEGA", which reads:

Sonic 3+
    Sonic Stadium (SOJ)
    Blast Track (SOA-Saturn)

Now, Sonic 3+ is probably the working title for S3&K, and Sonic Stadium, from the ROM header of Crackers, is Crackers/Chaotix, but what is Blast Track? I've looked all over this forum and the internet and I haven't found a single reference to what it could be. It's not X-Treme, since Sonic Mars is the X-Treme team, and it's not 3D Blast, since that's a contracted UK team, Traveller's Tales.

What IS Blast Track? If it's something obvious I'm overlooking, forgive me, I hope that at least the Sonic Stadium reference here is mildly interesting and gives some legitimacy to "Sonic Studium".

(image of the actual document below)

[​IMG]

16. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    That's...really interesting. I thought it could be the infamous 3D Sonic that SoJ was working on, and scrapped. Remaints of that game are in the Saturn Sonic 3D bonus stages and in Sonic World - Sonic Jam....but a SoA project for Saturn? That's news to me...and really interesting

17. Blackbird

Blackbird

Boston (Venezuelan Transplant)
    https://rabbitears.rip
    Oh, and please note this document is dated May 17, 1994. I would guess that the Saturn hardware was locked in already (I remember there being an SoA/SoJ dispute over what hardware to use for it), but the system wasn't going to come out for another 6 months in Japan. Maybe they were planning a launch title? I have no idea what this is.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed something else. The Domark reference checks out (they made a F1 title for the Mega Drive, which I believe is the one being referenced here), but I have no idea what the "EA" in Cotton (EA) stands for. Cotton, as far as I can tell, is a Space Harrier-like game developed by Success and published by Sunsoft or Sega depending on the specific game in the series. No reference to Electronic Arts.

18. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    and Panorama Cotton isn't first person action. And why should it be seen as a rival to a Sonic title? I can see why the F1 is, for speed and pseudo-polygonal graphics, but this one? It has nothing to do...if it's Panorama Cotton, that is. Probably is another game called cotton ( or maybe called cotton on proto stages, but differently at final stages)

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Electronic Arts seems to have shared the rights to publishing the Cotton games around that time so yes, that's most likely referring to Panorama Cotton (which was released only three months after that script was published).

EDIT: For the record, this was almost exactly 5 months before Sonic & Knuckles was released.

20. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Most likely "Sonic Blast Track" for the Saturn is "Sonic R"