don't click here

Sonic Xtreme footage from The Anti-Gravity Room

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shoemanbundy, Nov 16, 2013.

1. spooie

spooie

If I had to guess when the episode aired, I would say very late August through some time in September. When the segment was FILMED, I'm not really sure.

At the beginning of the show, Phil asks "Do you want to know what's hot this summer? Then put down the remote control," but then later Nick reviews the comic books for Sonic The Hedgehog 40, Killer Instinct Special 3 and Suberboy and the Ravers 1, which as far as I can tell, would have hit the street in September (at least two of them have "November" listed on the cover, but comics generally have 2-months-advance listing on the cover so newsstand folk knew when to take them off the rack, had they not sold).

Of course, the hosts were rarely ever on screen together. I don't recall ever seeing Nick and Phil together, or Shashi when she was on in the first season. I do believe I saw Nick and one of the "fill-in" hosts together after Shashi left (Kevin Smith even co-hosted a few episodes when plugging Chasing Amy), but that was about it. Generally, they were shooting from different locations. One would be in NYC, the other in California, the last in Toronto, for example. So it is possible that segments were filmed in advance, and then spliced in with newer footage for something else at a later date. And there was generally a comic book news feed that briefly mentioned 3 or 4 new items every week.

I'm new here, so I'm not really sure what kind of things people here like seeing, but if you're interested, I do have some clips of videogame-related things from the 90s already uploaded on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqP2ASYtLXg <--- Military Simulations (and being applied to games) from CNet Central
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM95fJVau7E <--- Game Testers from "The Next Step"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifgL3ED38Oc <--- Video Game coverage at CES from Local News, circa 1989/1990 (I can't remember which).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MneNbxFcp8 <--- 1997 segment about Arcade Emulators on PCs from CNet Central
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvEBE1e6W5k <--- Sony's Net Yaroze segment from MSNBC's The Site

Somewhere on tape, I also have an MTV special about the launch of one of Sega's Gameworks arcades, from the late mid 90s. I also have almost all of the 6 episodes of GamePro TV that aired in 1996/97, but I see that they've all already been uploaded on youtube by another user.

What I really wish I still had on VHS, but has been missing for around a decade now, is footage I recorded from The Today Show (Saturday), when they showed off the SNES, Genesis, Saturn, Playstation, Jaguar and an early version of the Ultra 64 with the first footage of Super Mario 64 I had ever seen (in early December 1995), as a segment about games people might want for Christmas. Games they showed off were from the DKC and Vectorman titles (talking about the "advanced" graphics of the older systems), I believe Bug and Clockwork Knight on the Saturn, Viewpoint and some first-person robot shooting game I can't recall ever seeing again on Playstation, and a snowboarding game on the Jaguar. I remember specifically NOT watching X-Men or the Tick on FoxKids, knowing I didn't want to miss it.

2. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Hey Spooie That may be the MTV Special I've been looking for! although I think they had a few specials.

3. spooie

spooie

The MTV special was the opening of the Arcade. From what I can remember... Steven Spielberg recorded a small clip for them, they interview Gillian Anderson, Will Smith and Vince Vaughn and a few others have an 8-player racing battle, and Beck performs a couple songs. Does that sound about right for you?

Also... I uploaded the full episode of The Anti-Gravity Room. Took a few tries to get the whole thing recorded, as my TV Tuner spazzed out on me a few times... but it is here if anyone wants to see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NdGayuC3Ak

Note, however, that it is on one of my two newer channels. I can't risk putting the whole episode on my spooievault channel, as I may be one more copyright warning away from having the whole thing pulled (damn you Comcast!).

4. Sploit

Sploit

The Metal Sonic boss battle looks incredible. Looks Very fast paced for the time :D

5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    hmm... not sure if that was it or not I don't remember any movie stars taking part...may have been another show on another channel, memory is so foggy lol.
    I just remember there being a lot of Sega Nintendo and Sony games being shown. I also remember an arcade racing game that had an underwater tunnel in one section.

6. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Only just seen the footage - I was also really surprised at the pace of how fast sonic moved!

Really hope this game surfaces on the web one day......

7. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    the closest we're going to get is the remake, and I say that's better than nothing!

8. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    don't think you can say that - this proves there was a working playable (boss battle at the very least) version of the game floating about (which means there were probably more than one) and that there still be maybe stuff left to uncover.

look how randomly this and the 718 demo came about.

It's obviously a long shot but you never know........

Oh and the axsx remake looks pretty awesome and after trying the old 'winter demo' out last night I'm well looking forward to it!