don't click here

Rare Sonic Art (And restoring it)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JackSkellinghog, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Awesome! Thanks a bunch.

2. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    Slightly O/T, but I think the skeleton thing might have been a copyright trap, at this point. Its so contrived otherwise, that the only way I could see it work if it was a reanimated, fossilized hedgehog boss in Rock Zone, and even that's a big stretch of the imagination.

3. woun

woun

Change your world Member
    Guys, do you know about this art?
    [​IMG]

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Huh, that art is somewhat similar to the Sonic Gems Collection cover (Least Sonic anyway, where as Metal Sonic has the same pose as Sonic from Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games). Pretty cool looking regardless

5. woun

woun

Change your world Member
    And Sonic 2 official art:
    [​IMG]
    I can get it and scan.

6. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
  7. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Early sketches and designs of many western Sonic box art illustrations, including one with a Sonic Pinball logo and different cover art. The artwork from that 'Amazing Sonic' LCD game is also amongst them. If these have already been posted sorry!
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?165941-Sonic-design-documents-Original-design-of-Sonic-Pinball

8. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    The poster there says "some of it is junk" - surely none of this is junk to a Sonic fan!

We should get in contact and get better scans of those.

9. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Ha, I was just about to make a topic about those pictures, I'm glad I looked in here before doing so =P

I agree that we ought to ask this guy if he'd mind scanning the pictures. They look really interesting.

10. Wow there is some very nice art here! Keep up the good work people :P

11. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Is all of the stuff in this thread being archived anywhere, or is it just being left scattered throughout the thread? Hate to see some of it go missing due to bad links and the original poster going MIA.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    There were 8 of them. :v:

13. I just recovered as much as I could within this thread.

The rules:

- Any bad links in this thread as of this post are skipped.
    - For duplicate images, the better resolution and size wins.
    - Categorized by characters and object types.

LINK

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...So the sources where the images came from will not get documented? =\

15. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    [​IMG]

16. Linkabel

Linkabel

Wow, my first post here at Retro. A couple of months ago I bought 4 shirts from Yahoo Auctions that had these artworks I've never seen before: [​IMG]

Now I'm not sure if I'm right, but I think some of these shirts are from that store in Japan that sold only Sonic merchandise. I remember there was this person that had a blog which feature a visit to the store and it had some of these shirts. Sadly I can't find it, but there is a section about it on the Sonic Gear site. Looking at them, I've noticed that at least the artwork on the black shirt seems to be an alternative design to this one.

It makes you wonder what other artwork we haven't seen from Yuji Uekawa.

17. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    That Sonic with a skateboard is from the Sonic Adventure era. It appears to only have been used on a few pieces of Japanese merchandise that were produced at that time, like this pencil tin:

[​IMG]

Speaking of which, I finally got my hands on a piece of Sonic merchandise I've been after for a while - this absolutely gorgeous Japanese pencil box from 1993! It features some really nice, rare artwork that doesn't even exist on the internet yet (to my knowledge), so I scanned it - hopefully someone can clean it up a bit and possibly even restore/isolate the stock art poses (Super Sonic and the punching Sonic above him are just beautiful).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Could you scan them at 600dpi? Cleaning them at that resolution is easier! Saving as PNG would be a plus (you can save as TIF or BMP and then open in Gimp or even MS Paint and save as PNG).

19. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

OK, I'll see if I can do that. I just did these real quick with a public scanning station at the library (which is still a heck of a lot better than using my crappy home scanner). I'll post 'em tomorrow, if I can.

20. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever