don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Desert Ruins Zone's Act 1 music reminds me of Shamar. Wonder if it's also done by Kenichi Tokoi.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Maybe it's because I'm sick right now but ughhhh. Sing along now!

bullshit is lurking around every turn. Don't trust your feelings got to die and learn. I hope with some luck that I'll make it through, got no other options only one thing to do.

Also, pro tips. Live farming. Very important. If you want a fuck ton of lives simply go to the cloud section of Tropical Coast act 1. Get about 9 lives, die, back to the check point, rinse and repeat. You'll be swimming in them. Also quitting a level reverts your lives back to what they were before you started the level. So if you die a lot on bullshit and waste said lives that you farmed and don't wish to farm some more, just quit the level before it's too late and play it again. Great for red ring hunting.

It's a shame I really want to enjoy this game as I like the play style and it seems so cozy, but it stresses me out a bit along with everything else in my life right now. Once I learn the game more I may like it more, but still. So my verdict for this game so far - beats everything from 98 to 06 and the story book games, does not touch the Unleashed, Colors, Generations 3D trifecta. You have potential here Sonic Team... just try harder next time.

3. Geez, once that guy gets moving, he just can't stop... even when the game stops around him. XD

4. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

So I finished the 3DS Version including the God Awful Special Stages to unlock Super Sonic, so here's my verdict:

1) Pretty decent job on Dimps' behalf for the portable version. Somewhat enjoyable 6-8 hour experience.

2) Levels can either be "not too bad" to "rage inducing" depending on how many "puzzles" the act throws at you. Certain puzzle acts actually let you reset the camera behind Sonic with the L button but otherwise the camera is always locked in one spot to ruin backtracking.

3) Parkour system can be used to skip entire sections of platforming against walls IF it wants to work. Sometimes Sonic doesn't respond to jump button input while in Parkour, god help you if he decides to stop caring over a bottomless pit.

3) Special Stages can go to hell with their controls that require you to be able to move around 360 degrees (I sorta cheated by using a rolling chair to play them so I wouldn't get dizzy). It's either SS#4 or 5 that's the most evil of the 7.

4) Boss battles are simple but not overly frustrating with the exception of the Emo Zeti's clone hunt boss battle and the final boss at first. The hints given to you for certain bosses is more than enough to tell you how to beat most of them (except the final boss in my opinion).

5) Wisp power ups are a mixed bag. Asteroid is alright, Laser works simply enough, Burst is back and nukes everything on screen, drill is mainly used underwater for anti-drowning, and then there's a lightning bolt one that makes you go "werehog" for grappling onto poles, enemies, and rails but sometimes it doesn't want to work when the prompt to activate the action appears, then there's a rock ability that uses the gyroscope to turn and uses a ground pound to push buttons but is otherwise useless.

6) Typical Dimps level design pieces make their appearances when possible alongside "SPRING SPRING SPRING SPRING SPRING DASHPANEL BARRELTHROUGHENEMIES" you get the idea. Sonic is forced into spinning for a few moments when touching the boosters a la Sonic 4 with enemies waiting for you to barrel through them, but sometimes you uncurl from the spin too early before killing that last Motobug every single time.

7) Super Sonic is pretty fun to use if the level design lets you, although sometimes the land is too narrow or small to safely navigate in 3D at the risk of falling into a bottomless pit rather quickly due to Uber Speed. Do NOT use him for puzzles that involve pushing things like snowballs or giant peaches.

8) There's no level completely on rails like the console version (Lava Road Act 2), although Silent Forest Act 2 might qualify more than half the time, but you can jump from rail to rail safely in the 3D areas thanks to safe jumping introduced back in Shadow the Hedgehog (Left or Right on the Circle Pad/D-pad + Jump Button) and carried up to Unleashed, Colors, and Generations which I noticed was missing from the console version.

9) There's no level that behaves like a "Mach Speed Zone" that the console version has, although some levels have brief mach speed sections that last at most 15 seconds.

10) Music is okay, nothing over the top impressive outside of Silent Forest Act 2's track, although Windy Hill 1 was drilled in already due to numerous gameplay vieos.

Overall, I'd give it a 6/10. If anyone else plans on buying this version, I recommend waiting for a price drop because I'm not sure if this game was worth the $40 I paid to get it.

Edit: About a half hour after making this post, the game literally crashed while I was Super Sonic in Tropical Coast Act 1 underwater when I came into contact with one of the oversized pufferfish, which is odd because it worked fine against the ones before it. The is the second game I ever had freeze up and give me the "An error has occurred" message (The first was ASRT). Not sure what I did wrong this time though.

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Honestly, I was going to pick up the 3DS version so I can mess with the system link stuff (as trivial as it may seem) for the Retro Review, but immediately shot down the idea when I saw it was $40. I really could have sworn I saw it going for $30, which seemed much more reasonable.

A friend of mine is visiting for a few days and he and our mutual friend will help me try out multiplayer, so there's that.

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Right out of the oven for you g--

WTF SANDOPOLIS ACT 2. GHOSTS. TV NOISE.

HELP

Anyway

7. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Actually, only Kalin said, "They took the skill out," and I should have been clearer about correcting that. Of _course_ there's still plenty of ways to be skillful through the levels. I just don't feel, thus far, that it's going to be anywhere near as fun or rewarding to get to that level.

And yeah, Generations has a "blast off in that direction" button, but like you said, there's a pretty good curve of momentum outside of that. My main problem with Lost World so far, though, would have to be in the jumps. The three-speed hedgehog means I can only jump at three speeds, and it seems rather inconsistent. Sometimes I keep my momentum, sometimes I come to a comparative near-halt. It almost seems to make a difference what I specifically jump off of.

Lost World to me so far just feels like they clumsily tried to address all the things that people who don't like Sonic games were bitching about. This isn't to say fixing legitimate concerns is a bad thing, but let me put it like this.

99% of the time, I can not get into Japanese or American-style RPGs. The reasons for this are many, and I've spent a lot of time mulling them over, but there are just a lot of things I don't like about them.

But if a game developer came along and tried to "fix" their RPG to fit my tastes... well, it might be a pretty fun game, but it wouldn't feel anything like an RPG anymore.

What Sonic Team has done here is gone WAY too far in the direction of making a Sonic game for people who didn't like Sonic games, and worse yet, it's not even done particularly well.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Pretty much. I mean, hell, they should have just made Sonic Adventure 3, for some reason even non Sonic fans seem to think that those were some good games for some reason, and at least then it would have been somewhat Sonicy. This game is just trying to be a poor man's Mario Galaxy. It's a damn shame I don't get the same amount of fun I did out of Generations though. At least modern Sonic team's terrible is just mediocre and not Sonic 06 though.

9. Machenstein

Machenstein

I feel like this is the exact same scenario that occurred when Sonic Heroes came out. After two critically-acclaimed Sonic games (Sonic Adventure 1 and 2), Sonic Team attempted to reach a wider audience by making Sonic Heroes, a departure from the Adventure formula. The result was a polarizing game that didn't appeal as much to existing Sonic fans nor general gamers. To add to the comparison, both Heroes and Lost World made a stronger effort to replicate the visual style of the classic games compared to their immediate predecessors. Coincidentally, Heroes and Lost World came out on the third year of a decade, 2003 and 2013 respectively.

If the same pattern from the 2000's continue, brace yourselves for a new character spin-off with a dark story and lots of firearms.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Iizuka has a strict "Sonic only" stance, and I'm pretty confident Sega doesn't want to see another Sonic 06 or Shadow. Hell this game does one thing in the opposite sense of Heroes. Rather than having 12 hero characters, it has 4, and out of the other 3 only Tails plays a significant role. Hell, I'm still not even sure why Amy and Knuckles were needed to begin with. I don't think we'll be repeating the mistakes of the mid 2000s.

Coincidentally I just beat the WiiU version with all the red rings. Honestly now that I'm not feeling sick anymore I actually found myself having some fun towards the end. And now that I have all the red rings I can play the game much more leisurely, as getting some of them were rather BS.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thats a nice special stage tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzloPD1AeQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxjNcN8Gx-Y

+ Mel shows us a neat camera breaking trick with the Coconuts in TCZ:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z1sOW6ZZGM

12. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
  13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Damn. Sonic went a bit too fast there I think. Also I liked this response

[​IMG]

Also, Sega get to patching Super Sonic so he doesn't suffer Sonic 2/3 sprite syndrome

EDIT: Wow we got some fast going on here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpFRR_vnQp0

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The 3DS version is hard as fuck.

I've lost about 35 lives on Frozen Factory 1 because I couldn't see where to 'snap' onto with the Ivory Lightning because Sonic moves so damn fast. The rest of the game was 'fine' though. I'm on Frozen Factory 3 now.

But they surely noticed the game had some WTF moments with level design worse than Sonic 06, in Windy Hill 3 the camera is so bad you feel the entire zone below you is a bottomless pit because it's SO close to Sonic's feet... totally unecessary

And what they do to 'balance' that?

They place a fucking remote controlled vehicle that kills enemies behind your back.

*slow clap*

15. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Working on the front page review for the 3DS version. I'm up to Tropical Coast and I'm already going in to each new level filled with dread and hopelessness.

16. Nova

Nova

Tropical Coast is... Possibly the worst segment of the game. Act 3 is just fucking awful. It gets a bit better after that.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Don't give the poor fellow hope when he's got Silver's Dusty Desert, uh, I mean Frozen Factory 3 to get through yet.

SLW3DS is utterly terrible.

18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I got through Frozen Factory 3 with no problems, except for a time up. Frozen Factory 1 on the other hand....

19. Nova

Nova

I really didn't have many issues with it, truth be told. Sure, it's not a great game but it's at least somewhat enjoyable. Not a game I'll be running back through to get S-ranks but, still... I found it wasn't particularly frustrating or difficult... Just long.

20. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    The boss battle is probably the worst of that entire area. What the fuck did Dimps do with the controls?! Half of the time Sonic kept stopping because of the game switching between normal controls and inverted controls!