don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Compressed and at 32Khz.

2. Skaarg

Skaarg

Here's my thoughts I tried not to discuss story elements so far if those of you are worried but want to see the opinion of a person who was excited for this game to come out:
    I honestly tried to avoid all of the negativity around this game. I ignored this thread, the review scores, etc etc etc. I was excited for the game, and even went and grabbed it at midnight just so I could spend the night playing it.

I wish I would have listened. This is the least amount of fun I have had playing a main Sonic game. EVER.

A shitty story? I can get past that, I played through Sonic 06, but they make every character so bland and generic so far I have almost no connection to any of them.

The controls... holy fucking shit what happened here guys. Some sections I tap left and I go zooming left, some I tap it and it hardly moves me with little indication that I've switched between control types. This has some of the worst jumping I've seen in a game. I understand maybe needing to run to clear long jumps, but I should be able to jump over an ordinary tiny pit without running. If you are moving at normal speed you only jump what feels like a foot or two in front of you and then just plummet to your doom. This is especially a problem for areas where there are a series of pits and even when holding the run button you don't start running right away so it'll fuck you over and you'll waste a set of lives falling in pits.

Boss fights so far have been completely boring. They have incredibly simple patterns with easy to dodge attacks that offer zero challenge. They haven't even really had a desperation attack after a few hits which is what usually makes bosses in these types of games enjoyable. They are also inconsistent with taking damage. I played the level where the yellow guy jumps around. When I played it it took 3 hits to beat him, but when my roommate played it he went down in 2 hits. Wat. :specialed:/>

Level design - I feel like the design of the levels is actually fairly good, but it appears to be horrible because of the faulty controls. I will say I would prefer less areas where I lose control and it kind of just auto-plays, but when I'm actually playing and in control there's some good ideas.

Music - Nothing has been too memorable so far. Windy Hill's music has been about the only one to stick in my head but that might because I've heard it 50 times in gameplay videos. The Vs. Deadly Six boss music is horrible though, it's part why I hate the boss fights so much.

Network Error - Not sure if this is just something weird on my end, but after every single level I get a network error when it's uploading my level times. I know my Wii U is online though because I can play other online games and access Miiverse, the eShop, and such just fine. Anyone else with this problem?

Long story short after playing for a couple hours I feel if the story was a bit more original, the controls were tweaked this would be an amazing game. I actually like the idea of the 3 different speeds, but the normal speed is just too nerfed especially when trying to play the platforming heavy parts where you jump over pits constantly. In it's current state though to be completely honest I give this game a 4/10 so far. It's just not enjoyable. As was said in IRC, at least when playing Sonic 06 we can play Sonic 06 and laugh at how bad it is, but this you just have no motivation to keep playing.

3. I thought that was the same as this: http://vgmdb.net/album/41754

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Nope.

That's the entire soundtrack released on the 22th.

Anyway:

THIS IS AWESOME

5. Well, not the entire soundtrack. It's a selection of tracks from it.

This is the entire soundtrack: http://vgmdb.net/album/41504

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Two things...

The network error is caused by the NA Miiverse community for the game not being active yet. The boss damage is because you can charge homing attack for up to triple damage by waiting and leaving the reticule to build up layers. It only happens on certain enemies with multiple hit points, ala most bosses and Snail Blasters. The game does a terrible job of explaining things, and you'll need to use this move to progress in at least one instance.
    In the second boss fight against Zavok. You have to kick to break his defence, home to push to on to a ledge and the use a charged home to boot him off. Using the wrong move results in damage and total confusion.

7. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I also have to wait possibly until the next week. SEGA games usually arrive here one week later... :(

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    OhhhhhhH! So that's the one that came included with the hard 3DS XL shell (the one Lanzer posted)!

9. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I've gotten to play for a few hours. For most of it I wasn't having fun due to still trying to get used to the controls, once I got used to them I went back and played a few earlier levels and had a much better time. I've got to head off to work now but I'd really recommend this game. Also Eggman telling Tails to "man up" is pretty much worth the price of admisison.

And agreed on Tropical Coast Act 3's music, oh man that's a good one.

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So? why is this a big deal to people? I'd rather take that then in-game VGMs where ambiance and sfx ruins my listening experience.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    "Pee isn't as bad as shit"

12. There's only 3 tracks on this CD. It's the Wonder World Theme that came with EP that was released a few weeks ago, a medley track of the stage levels (which tracks at about 7+ minutes), and the Deadly Six Theme. Haven't been following so I don't know if anyone else picked this up but I'd be more happy to rip it when I get home.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't quite understand it but sound quality is huge to some people. I mean there are limits for me as well but I'm not going to get in a hissy fit if it's in MP3 form.

EDIT: Oh ya almost forgot to mention. I got the game, however I am waiting until after dinner to play it, just to make sure I have my bases covered for the night and I don't have anything I need to do (Because I'm going to start drinking come the title screen haha)

14. Nova

Nova

Even within the boundaries of MP3 there are wild levels of difference in attainable sound quality.

I'll be waiting for either a FLAC rip so I can transcode it myself, or a MP3 V2 or, even better, a V0 rip. :v:

(Yes, I am one of those people! :eng101:)

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    To be fair, some of the current Lost World rips are quite shit with ranges of sound quality and volume level issues (One song is whisper quiet, but the next is ear death (I hate that rap3 word filter), so be careful). Damn shame we can't just take stuff from the disc like with the last few Sonic games... guess we'll have to wait for the soundtrack.

16. And I'll be here to provide 320kb MP3 soundtrack rips and get bitched at for not providing FLAC rips and free blowjobs. :v:/>

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    If you don't mind, hell better then nothing.

Also, CD scans and if it came with any sort of packaging, that too. it'll be a good contribute for the Wiki and VGMDB.

Nova, since you would probably want a .FLAC rip you should probably PM him the details on how such a rip is done (if you don't know how atUnderdogK).

And thats what we love about you best mang! :v:

18. Spunodi

Spunodi

I think I found one without the ambient noise, the only thing is the 3DS compression;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls5-roxsWGc

Very much love this track

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So, Americans, what do you all think of this latest Sonic venture? I just beat Desert Ruin act 2, honestly I'm loving it so far. Save for some Wisp herp a derp, I'm liking what I see.

Granted I already watched all of Windy Hill and Desert Ruin before I got the game, come Tropical Coast I'll be more surprised.

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Picked up my preorder for Lost world this evening and the girl at the counter was like,, man your the only one who preordered STLW at this store lol