don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Mosqui

Mosqui

Uh, it actually does. Sonic 1 for the Android/iOS has several level sections edited and added for Tails and Knuckles to take.
    Off of the top of my head:
    Green Hill Zone 1 has an additional 10 rings above the lamp post in the middle of the 2 "S" tunnels.
    Marble Zone 1 has an additional invincibility monitor that has a custom level chunk made for it.
    Marble Zone 3 has a new path that skips the original underground path. It comes out right near the boss and is a little faster to take than the original.
    Spring Yard Zone 2 has an additional 10 ring and shield monitor near the start of the act on a really high platform.
    Spring Yard Zone 2 has a new path near the end of the act (a third signpost and level end) that has also hides an additional 1-up and ring monitor.
    Spring Yard Zone 3 has an additional 10 ring monitor on a platform just before, and above, the boss.
    Star Light Zone 1 has a new path right near the start that also holds a 10 ring and a speed shoes monitor.

There might be more (I can't remember all that well), but it appears that quite a few additions were made.
    I like the fact that these additions make exploring with Tails and Knuckles all the more enjoyable.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    This opinion relies on the assumption that everything in Sonic 2 was as intended. Which isn't the case.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sonic Jam has three modes for every game - "Easy", "Normal" and "Original". The latter one is obvious.

IIRC "normal" fixes all sorts of little things across the games, clearing up some of the "unfair" bits and just generally modernising the experience slightly. It's probably a good base to work from... but for whatever reason nobody gives a damn about Sonic Jam and so nothing has ever really been documented (at least, in public). The awkward thing about these Taxman/Stealth ports is that no indication is ever given as to how far in development these projects are - the level layouts may already be in place.

Easy mode swaps all sorts of things, but it effectively ditches half the game in an effort to simplify the experience. IIRC Mystic Cave Zone Act 2 isn't even played in easy mode (either that or Act 1 isn't - I forget how it's done in Sonic 2) - most stages are trimmed down to one act and Wing Fortress Zone is missing entirely. It's a really interesting novelty but not the best way forward as far as authenticity goes.

4. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Rather than wasting time "fixing" the pit in Mystic Cave (which is really a non-issue as after the player dies a few seconds after falling in), I'd much rather Taxman/Stealth put time into creating new features.

Like Mosqui, I really enjoyed the new section that were added in Sonic 1. It would be awesome if this time around, Tails and Knuckles had their own full paths through each level. I'm guessing something like that is probably outside the development scope, but having more extra routes would be brilliant.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    "Wasting time"? It'd take two seconds to swap the spikes for a bottomless pit. And 50 or more of something isn't what I'd describe as a "few".

6. Nova

Nova

I'm really shocked that the spike pit has generated this much debate - I mean, yes, the pit's annoying but really? Do people not have anything else to worry about? Are you losing sleep over knowing the pit will still be there? Judging by the vitriol and rage exhibited by some, it seems that way. I know this is a thread to discuss this release but this subject has kind of pushed out every other discussion relating to this re-release. It's not that important. Worst case scenario, you lose a life and have to hit restart. Big deal. You'd lose a life anyway and it's not like there's lots of checkpoints to hit before that pit in the act anyway.

I'm honestly more shocked at the reaction than the fact they're keeping it in. :v:

7. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Alright, other things I'd like fixed? Rings. Mystic Cave is the prime example, it's possible to die to a boss, return to a checkpoint, and it's suddenly impossible to get rings. On a platform that's appealing to people that aren't hardcore Sonic fans, that's unacceptable.

8. Nova

Nova

It is perfectly acceptable. Why the obsession with changing parts of the level design? Just because you think it's broken, doesn't mean it is. The game has been fine for over 20 years and it's fine now and I don't know of anyone in my life who has complained about parts of Sonic 2 being too hard.

I don't get how people can propose changes and 'fixes' with a straight-face - this is a remaster of a seminal gaming experience, it shouldn't be altered any further than it needs to be.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

S1 has a few instances like this too, or at least one where there are no rings between the final checkpoint and the boss (unless you backtrack). It's a kind of "do it on your first time, or don't do it at all" affair, cause it just makes it harder after failing once. It's just one of those teeny adjustments that would refine the experience and would go unnoticed because it's totally non-intrusive.

I'm not one for keeping everything as it was originally if there's little improvements to be made. It's like how in FireRed/LeadGreen you won't turn to face a trainer that challenges you to a battle cause you didn't in the originals, even though every game from Gold/Silver has included that. It looked daft, and just seems so silly to me. I suppose the issue is that these remakes aren't being made by the original devs or even the current day Sonic Team, so there's a fine line to tread where you're fixing obvious flaws and then changing things from how they were originally intended. But hey, if S1 can add the spindash and change the physics to the vanilla game before new content is even unlocked/cheats are used, then it's fair game to me.

10. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    If they alter the level design then add some rings before the mecha sonic and final robotnik fight. I always have problems with them.

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    That's not an opinion, numbnuts. He's really saying shut up about the pit. All of you.

12. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    ..am I one of the only ones who hasn't actually fallen into that pit that much...?
    Not in a boasting way..I'm not a damn pro but...come on...

13. Falk

Falk

really now

14. Nova

Nova

I guess I should have really come to expect it by now. :rolleyes:

I'm going to attempt to shift the focus of discussion now. Here goes.

I'm hoping this one has support for Play Games (meaning achievements and leaderboards) - I remember being promised achievement support for Sonic 1 and it never coming. Not that I'm complaining, I just think now that Play Games is actually available it may be a possibility for this release. :v:

15. As long as there's an achievement for getting out of the spike pit I'm for it :specialed:

Okay I'm gonna stop, and keep out this thread until we actually get more info instead of bickering over one part of one stage I hardly see in the first place :v:

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Okay heres something to talk about.

Are we going to see a "& Knuckles" mode for this port? or is it strickly sticking to Sonic 2?

17. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I hope we do. It's basically part of the legacy, right?

18. winterhell

winterhell

On another note, would there be a reset button that remembers the number of emeralds you have? I want to be able to get Super Sonic in EHZ Act 1.

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was the only game of the original trilogy to punish you for entering special stages. It was one of those trade-off situations of risk and reward. Adding rings to that section would weaken that impact and it's not unacceptable to leave that alone. All you guys wanting these ports to have the level design made easier disappoint me. None of the Genesis games were difficult to beat outside of the last boss battle in Sonic 2. I always found that boss fight to be the most difficult battle from the Genesis games because you're given no rings.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The final boss fight isn't difficult, it's just... bloody long, made worse by wacky collision which forces you to play it the long way (particularly as Knuckles)

Wing Fortress' boss feels as if it's missing sound effects though. I never realised how unfinished that zone feels until somebody here pointed it out (in this topic?).