don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. The barrel of doom and the pit of spikes are two different types of design flaws, the difference is that the spike pit is avoidable, the barrel of doom isn't.

I think the only reason people complain about the spike pit is because you unlocked Super Sonic by then and you're now stuck down there until the rings count to zero, but I wouldn't say it's exactly the players fault in that regard due to how fast and slippery Super Sonic can be in the first place.

so the best solution is remove Super Sonic so he's only usable in final boss battles, this'll fix those problems people have with the pit.

2. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    You act as if we're all purposefully falling into that pit. There are plenty of people, myself included, who do not play Sonic 2 often. They don't have the level layout memorized, they don't know when that pit's coming up. And if they accidentally fall in there, it's a complete time-waster, especially with Super Sonic. And if you did have Super Sonic (which is nearly impossible for people without the game memorized) with enough rings, it has the potential to be a bigger time-waster than a loading screen in Sonic 06. It's even worse here because at least with a loading screen, you know it's loading something. This pit can only waste time. Just making it bottomless is enough punishment for falling in, you don't have to make me sit there for an extra 10 seconds at absolute minimum.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That was changed actually in an official revision of Sonic 2, Sega just never felt assed enough to use that revision when rereleasing the game.

4. Machenstein

Machenstein

Then people would complain that you can't play as Super Sonic in all of the levels like you could in the original. Besides, there are no rings in Death Egg Zone, so you can't turn into Super Sonic anyway.

I'd just make it so you can revert back to normal Sonic at will. It works in Sonic 3 Complete, and that's a fan hack.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm guessing that was sarcasm in light of the fact that this stupid conversation is still going on.

6. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Putting a sign there removes the puzzle solving aspect to that section. Unlike some of the suggested design changes to the spike pit, your suggestion for the barrel would affect the difficulty of the game. Doing something like removing the spikes or giving you the option to leave super form in the pit would not make that section any less difficult, just less time consuming.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    This is actually a point against changing the pit. You won't have to wait long to die if you suck too bad to get Super Sonic.

So anyway

Argument A

It's a inescapable pit. Just kill me already instead of making me wait till I can die just because I forgot it was there for a second.

Argument B

Stop sucking so much lololololol. Or hit the reset button.

How much longer will this go on I wonder?

8. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Until rerelease day or Taxman and/or Stealth tells us what they did.

9. Actually why don't we make all the spikes down there to be the kind which pop up and down? so you still get the spikey cave effect but Super Sonic can now die, if that's what you masochist fans want.

In the end of the day, it's just about stopping that delay of being stuck down there. Either make it slightly easier with a spring or just speed up the death process.

And what are you talking about it's my 100% legit idea to stop Super Sonic being playable, they stopped doing it after the classics until Colours came out and look how well they turned out guise :eng101:

10. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    At this point, I kind of hope Taxman and Stealth DO change the spike pit...

By putting a Star Post in it.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea not 4chan but

[​IMG]

12. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Because the Sonic 1 remake doesn't change layouts to add new routes or anything.........

It's the equivalent of getting stuck between 2 lumps of scenery in a modern day game, and having nothing to do but wait until the enemies come and shoot your dumb ass, it gets called "bad design" nowadays, just because it's in a classic game, doesn't mean it wasn't bad design then.

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    But you're asking for a fix for something that he probably fixed.

Metallic Madness Act 2 Past couldn't be completed depending on where you warped to on the Sega CD version of Sonic CD and I didn't see you guys whining over pages and pages and Taxman fixed it anyway on the 2011 remake (as the PC version did fix it too).

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    There's a difference between "bug that prevents the game from being completed" and "design decision that makes the player wait to die if they've beaten the 7 special stages and were enjoying the fruits of their success". That's why there's pages and pages of back and forth.

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It didn't prevent the game for being completed, you just had to backtrack a bit and warp to the future. And really, falling as Super Sonic in that pit is not very common, he probably fixed it anyway, there's no need for this. And also, the game is his, not yours. It's not a bug, it's an annoying imperfection of the original level layout, so yeah.

16. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Sonic 2 doesn't even have a final boss where you fly in space though.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    The game isn't his either, to be frank, but I get your meaning. I also wasn't really on the up-and-up with the MM3 warping issue. I just assumed it was an uncommon game-breaking bug from the way you brought it up. My bad.

In any case, the tone you're taking with me is confusing, because I've said many times in this thread that I'd prefer something be done about that pit. It's clearly an oversight in my opinion. Though I'd say that there's no need for this discussion because there's a reset button, not because he "probably fixed it". Now players aren't stuck down there, and the puritans can have their flawed death trap for the sake of parity with the original.

18. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Whatever you think of the pit, it's not an oversight. It's obviously deliberate, especially considering we have builds with different designs yet they decided to go with the one we got. It's not a bug that needs fixing. It's a design decision that, no matter what your opinion of it may be, was already made twenty years ago. If you get stuck in that pit it's not the end of the fucking world, especially when the remake is going to have a quick restart option anyway. We really do not need another dozen pages about this shit.

19. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

No, it didn't other than adding some breakable floor blocks before Marble Zones boss and the barriers in some of the bosses. Sonic 1 Remastered adds additional routes for Tails and Knuckles that Sonic can't get to, so the original game when played as Sonic remains unchanged.

But anyway, as above let's leave it at that.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Considering how broken CD and S2 are with flying and gliding, I hope that we got additional routes in this and some ceilings/walls where they weren't necessary before (Emerald Hill, Wing Fortress...) just so that the stages can't be practically skipped through.

Unless S2 includes new or remade beta levels then I don't think this remake is going to be as impressive as S1, for the sheer fact that S1 needed more improvements to bring it in line with the other games. Still immensely looking forward to it though. I'll have it day 1 on iPhone, and then I'll buy it on any other system that it may become available on down the line just as a show of support. Gotta love the community aspect of these releases.