don't click here

SonLVL

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Feb 7, 2011.

1. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    2 bugs that are glaring to me... 1. The object menu on the left allows for drag and drop placement, but doing so places the object in some wacky place out of sight.
    2. When you Paste an object from the clipboard, the coordinates don't show in the infobox.

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I don't know how I missed that first one (I was subtracting instead of adding) but they've both been fixed.

I also fixed drag/drop to account for your current zoom setting.

3. Caverns 4

Caverns 4

Sonic: Retold
    Good update! I actually noticed the zoom placement bug before, but somehow I never thought to report it. My bad.

I love the loading graphic you added too, haha.
    And one more thing... I tried just a simple level edit (I moved a diagonal spring down about $20 pixels), and when I saved, I got an error.

It happens with other levels too.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Oddly enough, that line in my source code could not possibly cause that kind of error.

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I'll double check, but it looks somewhat similar to what I had with Spring Yard Zone...
    EDIT: Double checked, and sent a report... it's an identical error.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I was able to reproduce the error, on a different line, and fixed it.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Someone used the bug reporting feature to report a bug (shocking) which caused SonLVL to only load every other palette. I have fixed it, and another bug I noticed a while back with resizing the window with no level loaded.

8. Caverns 4

Caverns 4

Sonic: Retold
    .. THERE'S A BUG REPORT FEATURE.

Wow, how did it never occur to me?

That's what I get for figuring things out myself I guess, dat help menu.

9. TehKaker

TehKaker

I'm sorry this terrible bump, but I need to ask, is there a way to define a secondary objpos array for a level? I'm trying to do remake the S1 beta, specifically the Tokyo Toy Show's build, but since lots of sprites are needed for background, and no editor supports it (or apparently), I have to define my own secondary array with hex and/or with different file definitions to the zone I work with.

If this feature isn't done, could you do it?

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The editor is pretty much hard coded to only have one object layout, and I'd rather not go to the trouble of adding a second one that only one person will use. As long as you're still using a standard object layout format, you could just create a copy of the level definition and have it use a different object file.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    SonLVL has some new features + - which I totally stole from Visual Studio  
    The object editor has a toolbar now, with buttons to align objects with the nearest solid part of the level layout, or with each other.

12. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Cool! looks like it could be useful!

13. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Something I just thought of for my tool (haven't gotten to try working on it yet though), maybe you could for yours...

The foreground editor having a recommended chunk function, where the program recommends chunks to put into an empty space, based on where the floor and/or ceiling is located in the chunk next to it.

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    New feature:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also includes a "Find Next" option, and works for chunks in the FG and BG as well.

15. Tidbit

Tidbit

Would it be possible to include an option to have the HUD include text saying which path is currently visible in the editing window? It can get a little confusing (for me at least) after switching between paths numerous times.

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    It has been done.

17. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Wanted to make mention of this... with the newest SonLVL update, using the rev01.ini for Sonic 1 throws errors... Caverns 4 and I have tried it on multiple disasm's including a clean Sonic 1 disasm and file set... and get the same exact error.

My best guess is for users to stick to using the regular s1.ini file instead of the rev01 file... and this bug was caused by something in the update.
    Any update on what we should do, regarding this? Should these rev01 ini's be discarded?

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Are you sure? None of the recent updates to SonLVL changed anything in the INI file reading, and the last update to the S1 SVN INIs was specifically to fix the rev01 INI.

19. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I'm sure. We both tried with untouched rev01 ini's... I'll send an error report via SonLVL... gimme a moment.
    EDIT: Sent it. It's saying a file is missing... that's just based on the mini error window I'm looking at. I didn't bother digging through the log though...

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    As I thought, that's exactly the error I fixed. I must have forgotten to bump the revision number.