don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    You just completely missed my point. But either way, even if it isn't a spoiler to you, it may be a spoiler to others (like me) who don't watch trailers that reveal everything that's in a game or movie.

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    .....But wasn't it you that even said to stop visiting the thread if you wanted to avoid spoilers? Figured you meant that spoiler tagging wasn't no longer needed since whoever is sticking around don't care to be spoiled.

*sigh* We need a mod to clear this up. if a mod's looking at this topic, can you clairify on what should be considered a "spoiler" and tell me if what I posted was considered a spoiler or not?

3. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Under normal circumstances, I'd say that what you posted is absolutely fine.

However, given the proximity of the release date (and the fact that there's inevitably going to be a shit-ton of videos and revelations coming our way in the run-up to release) I'd advise you to put any new/big revelations, such as new cutscenes and new levels, under spoiler tags. That way, people who don't want to see any last-minute revelations don't have to worry about stumbling upon such things in this topic, and those of us who don't mind being spoilered can just click on the spoiler button ;)

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Understood, Thank you!

I can completely understand about 5-10+ minute long gameplay videos and cutscenes of course, the Spanish impressions videos definitely fell under total spoiler territory. but I will follow suit next time if a new level is revealed official or otherwise.

5. How? At least Sonic's gameplay in SA1 is more true to how the genesis games played, with a decent mix of speed and platforming, and even a few more open areas to explore, and Sonic himself is easier to control. The daytime stages are just so... one track minded. It's just RUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNplatformybitRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRRUNRUNRUNRUNGOOOOOAAAAL!, and trying to go anywhere but forward, even a liiiiittle bit, will get you killed.

Whatever, people have heard me rant about Unleashed enough, already.

I DO think the modern stages were a massive improvement over the daytime stages... but that's mainly because the 3D areas remind me more of Sonic Adventure.

Still looking forward to Lost World, btw. The level design is bonkers, and I love it.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Linear level design isn't worse level design. It's just a matter of taste if you like more open levels or more obstacle-course like levels. For example: some much prefer Mario 64 to Mario Galaxy and the 3D Mario games after it because the former is much more open and the latter is much more linear and kinda like 2D Mario in 3D. Meanwhile others prefer the Galaxy-style games, like I think Galaxy 2 is the best Mario game out there.

Same can be said about Sonic Unleashed/Generations and Sonic Lost World. Some much prefer the levels in the former, which are designed for speedrunners, while others will probably prefer Lost World, because it's more about platforming. Differest strokes for different folks.

7. gold lightning

gold lightning

No. It will obviously be + - Classic Sonic  

8. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    I second that. I'm really digging Lost World level design (except for the 2D portions which are slow as heck). Unleashed isn't just a mindless "press foward", I mean, boost makes things sorta easy, but as you progress, stages start to get significantly harder (goddamn Adabat), it's more of a reflex based super fast game. It's like Robot Unicorn Attack or Canabalt, you have to do certain things at certain times.
    I'm not particulally found of that scheme of things since I've always prefered more of an Adventure 1 approach with level design more open and explorative but I have a blast at both Unleashed and Generations (Colors doesn't count in that mixture even if it's gameplay is pretty much the Unleashed one with less speed, the game is more of a 2D platformmer than anything else). Even more in Generations since it incorporated both sides pretty nicely.

But as any platformer, Sonic isn't an strict formula, otherwise it would lose its grace in the first few games. You have to change stuff every now and then. Even Mario games acknowledge that as TimmiT stated. Mario Galaxy was more of a linear type of game even had some more "open" galaxies, but they aren't as open as some Mario Sunshine or Mario 64 stages.

Lost World have open level design and while that is great for some elements like exploration and the parkour abillity, at the same time, it have to give up on some elements like loops that don't work very nicely outside the "linear" type of gameplay, proof being that loops are only there in the 2D stages (which you can consider corridor types of level design) or in cinematic moments where Sonic is transitioning from a portion of the stage to another. Just different game styles for the same core gameplay. Much like some consider Adventure 1 (which is more open) the best Sonic game, others consider Adventure 2 (which is more linear). Linear level design do tend to make stages more interesting because of the possibilities of cinematic and pre-programed scenes, but takes away some of the player's freedom to move around. They both have pros and cons, and have to make a few sacrifices. There is no better or worst, just your preference on the subject.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Seems like Jim Sterling got his review copy:
    https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/387667934623326208

Sounds like it's about the same quality as Sonic Colours than.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I've been getting a Colors vibe from it from the get-go so I guess I'm not really disappointed or excited.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah yes, the ol sterling cycle

Preview: Hey this games something else!
    Review: eww the fuck sonic

I'm guessing he's gonna give it a 6, which still beats colors iirc. Seeing as how most other sites liked colors though, and this seems to be a colors 2 of sorts, we'll see what others say (although to be fair some areas do look kinda messy and cluster fucked).

12. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    Absolutely loved Colors, probably getting a Wii-U just for Lost World.

Actually had my eyes open for a 32gb WiiU today, tryin to find one with NintendoLand instead of the stupid Zelda pack

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You can pick up nintendoland for like, $15 from GameStop if you buy used. Might as well get the Zelda pack and sell the code

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Isn't this the same guy whos been a known troll and got swag the last time he insulted a sonic game?

Why do we still care what he thinks? :v:

15. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    He gave Generations an 8/10 and actually liked it. He hated Colors though.

So if anything that just probably means that it's more like Colors. :v:

EDIT: He deleted his tweet apparently.

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Still hes known to jerk the Fanbase around like a puppet. Sterling is pretty much writing joke reviews when it comes to Sonic.

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Bump.

Time to tear something apart guize! :D

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I'm not really sure this demo can give us anything substantial that we don't already know, but this hopefully means that we'll be getting a demo of our own outside Japan pretty soon.

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I still think its worth looking into, hell just for a gamerip at the very least! + beta stuff.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It'll probably be released on the European eShop tomorrow then, don't know when the US eShop updates though.

Also, Jim Sterling later found out that he's under embargo. :v: