don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Is it just me, or are the Ancient Echidna Tribe members the same size as Knuckles is already? They're about as tall as Tikal, who was as tall as Sonic.

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Well In my opinion I don't think hes gone to say the least and I do think someone is replaced but your probably right in saying that he wants us to wait.

It is gonna suck if he is cut though, I said this long ago, I'll tolerate anyone being anybody but Eggman is Mike Pollock theres just no replacing that voice.

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I know casting isn't as easy as snapping your fingers, but considering Mike is the one actor they made sure to keep from the 4KIDS days I'm sure they made certain to get him on for this. No worries about him being replaced for a good while.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]

Just slightly taller then Knuckles. Actually, it looks like he's close to the Knuckles Clan members in size in Sonic Boom. If you want, I could get a picture of Sonic next to the Knuckles Clan for other comparisons?

Otherwise, I'd say yeah, he's just gone Knuckles Clan.

EDIT: Better comparison shot

[​IMG]

5. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    This was exasperating to read because Gobelins and Supinfocom are the premiere schools for 2D and 3D animation respectively and the students graduating from either are on the verge of revolutionizing the industry. France is the grand vizier of animation right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ZmMjMdrqs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml297IBrtwg
    http://vimeo.com/71695621
    http://vimeo.com/4352688
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2JrWJfdoqk

The only way a silhouette can be "bad" is if it fails to differentiate the character from the rest of the cast and/or doesn't communicate what the character is about, and you sure can't say that about Knuckles, he's hard as nails it ain't hard to tell

The entire Sonic cast has essentially been designed by amateurs, which is why there's so little silhouette variation among the main characters. And yeah that's something of a hallmark for the franchise, but these people are just employing the same conventional character design principles that have been codified in animation for decades and Iizuka is probably keeping clear for once because he doesn't know shit about what sells in this industry

Mercury said everything else I was gonna say. Vantoggle was supposed to have prepared us for this, you guys told her you wanted it, now we're getting it and I'm so ready

6. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    ^ That post there.

I am so in agreement with Ritz. Y'see, it's completely and utterly futile to expect a Sonic cartoon to be anything like the games; none of them have done it yet, at least this one has the stones to have the characters look different on top of it (presumably) being in a completely different universe like every other one has.

Also, you're blind as shit if you think AoStH/SatAM/Underground Sonic looked that much like his in-game counterpart.

I do not see why anyone has a problem here.

7. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I'll laugh if the Tails and Amy Rose character models end up looking much worse than Sonic and Knuckles.

Favorite post from this thread.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    To be fair, those Sonic's faced the awful US localization process leading to mohawk the speedy cool guy (By Underground they ditched the mohawk though). So they did look like Sonic, only they looked like what Sega of America and Europe thought Sonic was supposed to look like. Plus at the time, Sonic's look changed pretty much every new piece of artwork or every game. Consistency was rather difficult I'd have to imagine. That and with such a small cast of characters back then it was probably difficult to create a universe of characters that looked like Sonic since you only had Sonic, Tails, and Robotnik for the most part, so then you ended up with the Freedom Fighters and all those AoSTH side characters who looked kinda... not like Sonic at all. Sonic X kept designs consistent with the series though.

I think the most shocking part about these designs, at least to me, is that for the first time in the history of the series Sonic has had a near universal look to him for the past 5 years. They've used the same render, the same in game models, the same style of artwork, hell they even forced the comics to get in line with how the characters should be drawn. The only exception would be the slightly off model versions of the characters they use for the Mario and Sonic games, which they for some reason keep using despite using the typical render model. But then they decide with this cartoon "To hell with consistency, lets put Knuckles on steroids" after they had a cartoon in the past 10 years that decided to use the official designs instead. Seems rather odd to me anyway.

Anyways, I hope this show is filled with ridiculously stupid plots. I was having some fun making up some random plot ideas last night on /v/. Things like, Big teaches Shadow how to relax, or Robotnik can't get his Eggmobile to work... or Rouge has back problems. Hell, these plots are no worse than half of AoSTH (which probably would have worked well with the 12 minute episode format come to think of it). Then again, the show is aimed at those 6-11, and I'm only imagining that these plots would be funny if the show was in the style of ATHF or something.

9. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    If the show had stupid plots like that, I would totally watch. But a continuing story plot style would be cool too.

10. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    I'm thinking an episode where Eggman replaces Sonic's shoes with speed-down shoes, and he learns to accept that his friends still like him when he's slow.

11. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    You... I mean, you know where you're posting, right? Any change in anything is met with immediate kneejerk rejection and skepticism bordering on panic. Not tryna bash on the user base of the site, obviously, since I'm here, but it's bloody well true.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Knuckles loses some of his bling and has his friends help him find it.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sorry, but that last sentence is just wrong. All of the original characters can be easily differentiated by their unique silhouettes.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    In fact don't most of the characters use silhouettes of their heads as sort of their logo?

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    EDIT: Nvm.

16. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    You guys keep insisting that Knux looks buffed, that he has been lifting iron and shit. But honestly, I just think he grew a long and glamorous hair.

[​IMG]

Don't hate 'cus he is beautiful, people.

17. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    That Knuckles design looks familiar

[​IMG]

from my video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGiNj5SFmJs[/youtube]

bastards...

18. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    This coming from a man who's been exposed to the franchise for 20+ years and not someone who's viewing these characters for the first time. Only about four major recurring characters in this franchise have a unique body type and most of the characters in general aren't especially good at communicating what their personalities or abilities are at a glance

Really emphasizing the "first read" here, doesn't matter that Sonic's streamlined hair and blue coloring are meant to suggest speed or whatever because that's all a bit too symbolic and culturally grounded compared to the universal language of shapes (circles are cute, squares are strong, triangles are aggressive etc. - guidelines and not rules, but obviously what these people had in mind)

19. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Does anyone remember when we first heard there was going to be a new Thundercats cartoon, and we got this picture:
    [​IMG]
    Mercifully once the series did come about (as short as it was) it was a lot better::
    [​IMG]
    On a side note, how Panthro looks there [above] to what he was in the original could be like what they're doing with Knuckles.

20. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    If they were ready to commit to these designs they probably would've shown more than silhouettes, sure