don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Look at this post:

You really, really shouldn't expect the animation in this show to be of the same quality as that of the CG cutsenes in recent Sonic games or Night of the Werehog. This is more or less 572 minutes of animation that needs to be done.

Actually, CG animation is cheaper than 2D animation and faster to produce. :eng101:

2. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Is that so? Well, if you took a CG show and 2D show, gave them both the same time and budget, you'd always be getting a better looking 2D show. Come on, Flash animation cannot be that expensive.

Actually, why do most CG shows look as bad as they do? It's a completely different tool, but videos made in SFM look good if the animator puts time into it.

I think we're done with animation here. Live-action show, now. Either people in unconvincing shows, or puppets. It'd be some serious bile fascination.

Also, that tracing job just goes to show how absolutely ridiculous Junkles (or is this one Knuckers?) looks.

3. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    [​IMG]

PEOPLE REALLY NEED TO GET THEIR FACTS STRAIGHT!

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Ooo, this seems like a fun idea.
    -one quick doodle session later-

[​IMG]

Let us hope this is the worst of the Sonic Boom cartoon and call it a day, then?

Coat on Sonic because he looks like he's wearing something in that shadow.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I didn't say anything about the quality of the animation. I'm just talking about the designs of the models.

6. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Wow, I'm surprised everybody is already speculating with drawings. Nice sketch, Blackhole, and Amy's expression made me snicker.

Penguins are at least remotely watchable in quality; other shows not only run at the slower, stiffer 15 FPS, but the lighting doesn't even looked rendered, and the colors are all washed out. It's like they recorded the preview render in action and called it a day. Jimmy Neutron didn't have super amazing lighting either, but they compensated for it with lively movement, vibrant colors, and a higher frame rate than some of Nick's newer CG cartoons.

BEST POST IN THE TOPIC

7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Dat Knuckles.

Ken Penders must be working on this.

8. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    I know they'd have to tone down the complexity of the objects and stuff, but what I'm getting at is SEGA are getting people who have never done Sonic before to do it, surely people who have worked around Sonic in CG for a while are more than capable of rendering simper models.

Plus the tech they used for the Unleashed stuff is over 5 years old now, that's an eternity in rendering techniques and animation streamlining.

I'd put what I'd expect to see from them more akin to Kung Fu Panda: legends of awesomeness, which is less in quality for sure, but still quite passably enjoyable to view, even though Jack Black is still pretty grating on the old nerve endings lol

Wheres Bluckles lol

9. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    A lot of people think Amy doesn't have a dress, but I think they're just covered up in the silhouette by her hands.

10. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Obviously these are just a bunch of shadows and developing any sort of firm opinion about the show in general from them is premature.

But my initial reaction is "FINALLY!"

I have been waiting for Sega to redesign the characters for years and years. Sonic's "modern" design became irrelevant around 2003 and I have wanted them to show some creativity.

Now, what they come up with probably won't be as boss as Vantoggle's versions, but I applaud the attempt and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

11. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    For all we know, the reason why Knuckles is so huge could be a part of the plot. Maybe there's a story behind it.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's a series of 11-minute short episodes designed for kids aged 6 to 11. There'll be no overarching plot to speak of.

13. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Please, please don't turn this into the Sonic 4 thread(s). Not saying it's happening now, but let's make sure it stays that way.

[​IMG]
    Give up the steroids or die, I DON'T LOVE YOU.

14. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Or maybe the shadows are just a joke and they won't look like that at all.
    Right.
    Right.

15. Machenstein

Machenstein

The promo image we see could just be WIP material. The Loonatics, for example, looked a lot different in the promo images than they did in the final show. It's not the best comparison, but it might apply. As for Knuckles, I'm not a fan of the redesign. The appeal of Knuckles to me was that he was pint-sized like Sonic, but had great strength. Here, he's as strong you'd expect him to be by looking at him. Knuckles being roughly the same size as Sonic was also part of his status as a rival along with Metal Sonic and Shadow.

I don't want to whine about character design because that's been done to death, and really, these redesigns are just a symptom of the problem. As with every old franchise that big corporations try to keep "hip" and relevant, they're trying to make these characters "cool" instead of cute. It keeps happening with the Ninja Turtles (to be fair, the Mirage comics, which were dark and edgy in tone, predate the 80's cartoon, but that's beside the point) and every other old series or character from an era back when "cute" was in. While cute has made a small resurgence, not every corporation in the animation industry thinks so, so we get redesigns like these.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    At least this seems to be exclusive in the cartoon realm. Luckily the games seem like they'll keep the modern designs for a while.

17. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    As someone who only saw the press release long after the image - Knuckles? Don't you mean Vector?

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    looks like people cosplaying sonic characters ?

19. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Fingers the Echidna makes his triumphant return, I see. I'm interested in this just due to a curiosity over what seems to be hilarious redesigns.

20. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I'm sorry, but at this point you're basically saying "who cares about tall Classic Sonic with green eyes, bring in french 3d disjointedly-angled animu spike guy!"

These sillhouettes look awful, and sillhouettes are the most basic and important part of a cartoon design. It really can go nowhere but downhill from here. Different can be good, but not necessarily always.

Also CGI is fuckton more expensive than 2D unless it's really shitty CGI, it's just execs tend to conclude CGI is more marketeable.