don't click here

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Malevolence, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    @ Markey's hack.

Daaaaamn dat smoothness. Some of the transitional frames look like they could use some touching up (as in the new angles, which I'm surprised was even possible!}, but color me VERY impressed with this; it all looks better than Sonic 2 beta frames! :D

Now someone plz hack Sonic 1 iOS and make this a thing :V

2. Megalodon

Megalodon

Retro Grammar Sniper
    The smoothness of the frames is amazing. It would be great to see if this could be done for Tails in Sonic 2/3&K
    Also, can you explain this - [​IMG]

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    http://mm.reimuhakurei.net/misc/s2doublejump.7z

Okay fine I'll say something: if you've played a certain Wii game, you may notice a similarity.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    As a matter of fact I can. In Sonic 1, there is an object that is invisible and solid, and is used to make certain sections of a level solid. In Scrap Brain Zone however, for some reason, they used the monitor object with sub-type ID 15 for solidity. The monitor object uses the sub-type ID as the animation ID, but the monitor's animations do not surpass 09, there is no animation 15, so what it's reading instead, is a random pointer, pointing to a random set of numbers the software thinks is an animation script. Coincidentally, in the original Sonic 1, this doesn't cause any issues (it's just lucky), in the ROM I posted though, I've made modifications that have shifted data around. As you can see, I wasn't as lucky with Sonic Team's bug.

5. Megalodon

Megalodon

Retro Grammar Sniper
    Ahh...OK...thank you for that information. It's been buggin me for a while. Thanks! Keep it up!

6. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    While it probably won't happen, I hope to death that those smooth animations find their way into Sonic 3 Complete someday. Really quite the treat! :D

7. Caverns 4

Caverns 4

Sonic: Retold
    Sonic Team Logic...?
    I'm amazed they lucked out enough that it doesn't just crash.

8. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    While we are on the topic of the invisible solid blocks, I'm gonna hit this nail on the head in case anyone was curious about it.

In certain places like MZ's moving block sections, or the moving girder sections in SBZ 1, you can duck and somehow phase through the wall. In fact, doing so in the MZ scenario and letting go of the Down button mid chunk will crush Sonic instantly. Now... I still dunno why that happens, or how to fix Sonic's solidity detection to remove this bug, BUT apparantly neither did SEGA, hence they put these blocks in.

Taking a look at the aforementioned sections using SonLVL, the problem is easy to catch. The solid objects that are put in to stop Sonic from entering the tile are not low or wide enough for the obstacle at hand. Simply shifting these downward and making them wider will do the trick.

This belongs more in the changes/fixes to Sonic 1 thread, but since we were talking about the object, and bugs in relation to the topic, I figured I'd share this because I rarely see hacks fix this.... and by rarely, I mean only Sonic Classic Heroes.

9. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Actually, it doesn't happen in every such section even the original; but thanks for reminding me of it, I just fixed it on SCH for the cases where it does happen. Hm. I think those blocks in MZ are fixed by just using S2 solid object physics, as Sonic 1 & 2 also does not have it, and it features the same size invisible blocks as S1.

10. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Not sure if Tiddles has read this, but I can almost assuredly say it's never going to happen. S3 has a lot more animations than Sonic 1, what with the wacky 3D rotations and everything, and the pretty much all the frame slots (about 250 of them) are already used up. It would require a complete overhaul of the animation system, not to mention producing all the necessary frames for all the classic patches and then fitting all the characters uncompressed in the ROM. Thanks for the shout-out, though!

11. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I'd say at the very least, providing an 8 frame walking animation for the S1 Sonic sprites... 6 frames for a walking animation has always felt shit to me... but that's a complaint for a different thread.

Also like the double jump ROM you posted MM. Got something similar myself in my Sketchhog hack

12. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    It's been a month since it was released, but I figured I might as well share what Darkon360 cooked up this time...

...Kirby in Sonic 1... and yes, he can suck everything up! Enjoy!

Download

13. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_7es-cOSXk

Enabled the ending out of curiosity, with humorous results. So, I've decided to add it to the actual hack!

New Version with Ending

14. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    [​IMG]

Since it's Christmas I'm feeling the time of giving a sneak peak of something long overdo for it's first release.

15. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Nooo... how soon? :v:

16. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Few more months. Maybe in time for the contest :P

17. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Color me interested

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    So, we know what it's like for Sonic to be drunk on rings. We know what it's like for Sonic to be high on rings. This one was difficult to decide, so this time, you'll find out what it's like for Sonic to be filled in with lead by the rings.

Sonic 1 The Ring Ride 3

Go on, give it a go!

19. Pigeon

Pigeon

Nothing really
    Well, I wasn't expecting THAT when I downloaded it! I didn't even know Sonic 1 was capable of that sort of graphical effect! How many more Ring Rides are there going to be?!

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    I am not really sure. You see, here's the deal.

There are some really amazing effects (both audio and graphical) that can be performed, and while I do share a sense of enjoyment for splash screens, demos, or even menus showing these effects. My real interest of respect goes to those effects working in-game. Anyone can do a variety of effects, but to get them functioning while a game is actually being playing, especially for a 2D platform game with complex physics that take up a lot of processing time, that, is where the true work of art is held, and that is what gains my ultimate respect.

These ring rides are basically tests, they are to see what effects can or cannot work while there's a complex platform game with heavy code physics running in the background. And instead of trying it and saying "oh yeah, it works alright", I turn it into a gaming feature to induce a bit of fun and some local interest in the community. It becomes more value-able that way.

So as long as there are more effects to try out, and as long as they can be made into some interesting gaming feature, the ring ride series will continue.