don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    You're right, it does. That's what happens when you post late at night

Although I don't blame myself for missing it - navigating those menus isn't easy.

2. JojHeywood

JojHeywood

Arbitrary. Member
    Understandable. The amount of things FW's cramped into that menu screen is a little jarring

Don't know if the cheat combination(s) are limited to just buttons and not directional buttons, but there's always the Konami code. I used to try that on every game I owned. Strangely only really worked on my Konami games. Can't imagine why.

3. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I suppose I can split the information from the menu screen into subscreens, and maybe add an alternate navigation mode where you select the option and press L or R to change it; but it will take some redesigning, and it probably won't be in the next version.

4. flamewing

flamewing

France
    New revision is out: latest version is v0.10.008a; download it here.

I switched to include my internal revision number as the last field (in hex, of course); this is the same value that will be reported in the address error debugger, should it ever come up.

Hint: Charmy solo. Then Super Charmy solo. Have fun [​IMG]

Changelog:
    Enhancements over previous revision:
    • Espio can attach more easily to ceilings now.
    • New continue icons for Chaotix by E-122-Psi.
    • Espio will now path swap while walking on walls (e.g., loops).
    • Credits screen scrolls text into and out of view instead of fading palette.
    • Charmy can no longer carry Espio and Vector, that is just too ridiculous and overpowered.
    • Sorted credits by alphabetical order.
    • Espio now uses rolling sprites instead of twisting sprites when appropriate.
    Enhancements over original games:
    • Advancing lava wall in MZ2 now waits for the players to all be below a closing hatch.
    • GHZ collision improvements for climbing and flying.
    • A few layout and collision improvements for SLZ.
    • Espio has an 8-way twisting sprites now.
    Bugs fixed from previous revision:
    • Super dash now works for Chaotix too.
    • Fixed super dash ending with Chaotix (and future teams).
    • Better handling of large and small sizes when "landing" on walls and ceilings.
    • Added a "jumping area" for Vector in SYZ3 button.
    • Fixed bug preventing any team with Vector in it from progressing to Death Egg.
    • Graphical errors in Chaotix signposts.
    • Fixed glass blocks in MZ.
    • Made Vector normal size for the time being due to numerous size-related bugs.
    • Fixed a few issues with Knuckles' and Vector's climbing when grabbing a wall near the floor, as well as with Vector's ledge climb.
    • ARZ boss pillars were clearing 'on-air' flag too late.
    • Several objects that set rolling state could crash the game.
    • Charmy can now roll when played by humans to allow breaking (say) breakable HTZ floor.
    • Swapping to a CPU-controlled Charmy that was chargins a spindash will reset mode correctly.
    • Aligned uncompressed art so that DMA does not cross a 128kB boundary, and fixed DMA function to break this case up.
    • Made sure no code exists on the upper 2MB area to prevent conflicts when SRAM is being used.
    • S1->S2 transition fixed for all cases with all teams.
    • Charmy is forced down more powerfully at the end of act (no more infinite dashing).
    • Fixed non-working switch in MTZ1; ironically, the fixes for slope glitch caused this issue by allowing off-screen switches to call SolidObject when offscreen as they should.
    • S monitor was causing characters to get stuck when it ended.
    • Certain characters can enter in CPZ tubes in a different manner and would get stuck; they can break the breakable blocks from underneath now.
    • Credits was still displaying Sonic 2 Heroes. Still need to fix the end-of-credits logo.
    • Upward speed cap was not being enforced for Charmy.
    • Charmy can now break breakable walls.
    • Characters in forced spin mode will no longer display their running frames when landing on ground.
    Bugs fixed from the original games:
    • Silver Sonic being defeated on a specific frame can prevent further progress.
    • Fixed remaining case in ARZ boss where he could take off quickly when defeated (thanks goes to RedHotSonic).

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Good sir, I come with a pack of bug reports. RAR Pack I replayed through the newest release with the Chaotix under Super Dash mode for this.

Here is the gist of what I found
    - I found a ton of bugs in LZ with the Chaotix characters having the infamous Knuckles underwater jumping from objects bug, where they jump, only to go nowhere.
    - LZ boss seems to have a graphical error. See the savestate titled "Explosion graphic error"
    - I retested the OOZ sphere bug and enclosed a savestate, but found nothing so just disregard that Savestate. HOWEVER, I did notice when doing this that the player can control how and where he lands when falling from being hurt. Is this change intentional? (My apologies if I missed this in the changelog)
    - I found two different instances of respawning characters looping across the screen. I remember your OLDER revision having this bug... but you fixed it, but it seems to have returned with at least Vector and Charmy.
    - Continue icons seem to once again have a priority bug... this was another bug you fixed in the past that returned. Dunno if it still happens with Team Sonic's icons but it occurs with Team Chaotix's.
    - I made a couple of other notes in the .txt file, including a collision glitch with Charmy I found in MCZ.

Some other non-bug items:
    - There is a section in LZ2 that you can reach with a climbing or flying character... this could be an alternate hidden area if you want it to be.
    - I understand to fix some of the squashing bugs, you reduced Vector's height. That's all well and good but it does cause one minor thing that looks awkward. When standing under rings that are close enough to be able to walk into, Vector doesn't collect them. I'm not sure what to suggest other than slight layout editing, but that's your call. It just looks weird.
    - Are the Chaotix' balancing animations supposed to be THAT fast? Hot damn it looks odd.

6. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Just so you know flamewing, uploading works again on the wiki, so you don't have to link outside Sonic Retro on the wiki page anymore.

7. MathUser

MathUser

Well, judging from the wiki page, you are giving characters new moves. That means the "character in Sonic 1" hacks are not obsolete anymore as those play more true to the original game. That is unless you add a "new moves" option on the option screen.

8. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Technically, at least E-122-Psi's Sonic 1 hacks also add moves, so your generalization is off-base (although I am sure some character in Sonic 1 hacks don't add moves).

9. JojHeywood

JojHeywood

Arbitrary. Member
    With Charmy. Holding down and pressing B/C on top of the end-zone capsules' switch will cause Charmy to get crushed.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Possible bug - Espio walking up walls isn't "understood" by computer partners. Iif you're travelling to the right, jump at a wall and proceed to walk up (with up on the D-Pad), the AI will keep going off to the right as if you're pressing right on the D-Pad. Pressing left in this scenario causes the AI partners to look up, and pressing right causes them to duck... and this is really difficult to explain in text form but basically, they don't realise the D-Pad has effectively rotated 90 degrees.

It would also be nice if the AI could acknowledge that wall climbs and air dashes exist. In its current state, combi ring mode isn't so much about working as a team as it is dragging partners along (although I suppose it's always been a bit like that)

11. MathUser

MathUser

Black Squirrel, when you gonna work on the wiki some more? Or have you made wiki pages for all levels now?

12. flamewing

flamewing

France
    That is actually because they do notice that the D-pad has rotated: they "understand" that pressing up while you are in a right wall is like pressing right on the floor - note that, as you mention, they duck when you press right in this scenario. But I understand what You are getting at: maybe they should not be this 'smart' - which would actually require editing Espio's code to no longer rotate the D-Pad.

Remind me to add a note in wiki in g-lashing, 128-point font that Chaotix coop mode will make you weep with despair if you use it with the AI instead of with human players. I only left the AI in because it allows a player to go stop playing for a moment, but I will gladly disable the AI permanently for Chaotix-mode if people prefer.

Hm. Maybe I could add a warning to the options screen too...

13. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I wonder if it'd be too farfetched in concept to have the team members more perfectly mimic the lead character. Knuckles & Tails making full use of the elemental shields like Sonic, Sonic & Ray wall kicking back & forth behind Mighty, Vector & Charmy running alongside Espio up walls, Sonic & Tails grabbing Knuckles' hands & feet or riding his back or even spinning around with him in the triangle formation.

I know that it's possible and wouldn't be a bad addition, but I'm wondering if giving the CPU players’ abilities that they don't naturally have could be considered a bit much.

14. Kilometers Prower

Kilometers Prower

no mater wot medoner ses Oldbie
    USA
    Holy crap, that was amazing.

However, at the end of Wing Fortress's boss, the end-of-act flight restrictions you put on Charmy load up, making it impossible for him to fly over the laser-wall-bump thing, and also making completing the game impossible.

Awesome work, though! This hack has been keeping me entertained for a few days now... :)

15. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I don't know if it has been posted, but I just noticed you can't just duck during the Chemical Plant fight as Sonic to avoid damage.

16. MathUser

MathUser

That was fixed in a officially released revision of Sonic 2, probably why it isn't here.

17. flamewing

flamewing

France
    I don't know if it was fixed or not in an official S2, but I fixed it in SCH. It is intentional -- why would ducking negate the effects of the attack that hits you directly?

18. dsrb

dsrb

Some people have tried to explain it away as being because whatever liquid Robotnik drops exerts its effect by attacking the protagonist's eyes. I'm not convinced!

19. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Meanwhile, back in the actual game, what was actually happening was that the mega mack's starting position and standard gravity caused it to hit the floor before it could hit Sonic if he was ducking. If there had been any actual check to see if Sonic was ducking and not affect him in this case, I probably would have left it -- as is, the intent is clear: it should affect Sonic in all cases, and it didn't because of an error.

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gC9iSTCMeI

MegaGwolf did an update video to your hack.