don't click here

Sonic 1 Color Contrast

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by TheInvisibleSun, Aug 31, 2012.

1. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Did you change the chunk or block layouts? If not then I can just work with that and send you the layout itself.
    Having an .ini with more acts is no stretch, I can do that, and new zones myself.

As for monitors... I'll note them in a .png export of the layout.

2. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Marble and Spring Yard have a couple of extra added 'sign' chunks at the end of the list, but the arrangement/layout is otherwise the same. So I guess you could just send me an act layout file and the png and I can work with them. Just any zone except Green Hill (which is pretty much finished).

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    After some consideration/experimentation, I've changed this to load the first line's restored palette instead of the palette cycle, as this generates better aesthetic results. For some reason, recoloring the palette cycle in the middle of the stage delivers a strange purple/magenta color.

4. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Couple of errors. Tested them out multiple times on Regen... they're there.

Get 100 rings, via a ring... you get an extra life... all is well.
    Get an extra life via ring monitor though... and well, you get the extra life, BUT Sonic's palette is also restored...

5. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Fixed! Thanks for catching that.

6. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Small Progress Update:

-Fixed the 'Background Scrolling Glitch'

-I created a function that allows the player to return to the Hub stage (A+B+C when paused). If used, however, you lose one life if you have more than 3 (this is to make life padding more difficult; at first I had it always reset your lives back to 3 regardless of how many you had, but I felt it was too aggressive)

-I've implemented Markey Jester's fade-in/out routine fix, *edit* as well as KingofHarts' fade to/from white routine fixes (with very much help from KingofHarts)

-I've also implemented Cinossu's Smooth Special Stage Rotation edit

So, what do you guys think of the recent demo? I'd like as much feedback as possible, so that I can address as many potential issues as I can.

7. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Update Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRX7rCXZn88

Shows the new "flash-effect" you see when getting every Color Monitor in a stage (Which uses both the old 'colorful' fade to white routine, and KingofHarts' new "fixed" white fade routines), the "return to Hub" function, and the Restart Monitor fade (Which uses Markey Jester's new "fixed" fade in/out routines).

8. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    WOW... nice use of both fade routines on that... This is coming along very nice, I must say

9. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Thanks! It was your new fades that gave me the idea of porting back the old one for that. I also ported the old fade from black routine for the Restart Monitor, but it didn't look too great in-game. Since it's just sitting there unused, I may experiment with it later.

10. TimpZ

TimpZ

Sweden
    Speedrunning, learning ASM??
    I think this looks very interesting so far, The gradual transitions into colour looks awesome!

Something I noticed however is that it's looks hard to determine what's solid and what isn't with all the letters in the air. Perhaps you should consider custom tiles for all text?

11. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Not sure about completely custom tiles, but I'll probably use at least different blocks for ones that are solid, to differentiate the two (the GOAL ones are partially solid on top to prevent players from accidentally hitting a Restart Monitor from above). Thanks for bringing that up.

12. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    In GHZ there are unused line tiles that bear resemblance to some tiles that are seen in the SMS/GG game. Perhaps these could be used to some extent???

13. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    You guys ready for the contest?

14. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Updated the Wiki page, which includes a mirror of the Hacking Contest demo entry (since the site is currently down):

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_1_Color_Contrast

Other than the inclusion of MZ and SYZ (and FZ), there's a lot more little new features and things under the hood, as well as a few more secrets and unlockables than before, so completing everything won't be in vain!

Enjoy!

*edit* Made long past due updates to the first page, as well.

15. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    UPDATE:

Beta 4.1

Changes/Fixes:

-Disabled TimeOver; the timer stays at 9:59, but you can take as long as you want to complete the stage.

-Several Layout Edits, and Object Placement issues (especially in Green Hill).

-Fixed some almost unnoticeable, but dangerous Variable placement issues.

-The secret 'Pseudo' Hyper Sonic Transformation now works in the secret unlockable Acts (which are accessed via Giant Rings that only appear once you've completely restored the corresponding zone, including the Hub), as it didn't before.

-The requirement for said Transformation is now lightened; after getting the emeralds, the power-up works in zones where the hub is fully restored, and you have 'Gotten Through' both Acts. (The contest version required that a zone was %100 completed before using it in the zone)

However, I have recently discovered a terrible bug regarding this Transformation. After transforming at any point, the game will crash upon changing gamemodes (This affects the game upon getting a GameOver, and getting to the Ending, unfortunately). Soft Resetting seems to cure this (until you transform again) I really don't know what is causing this. So, if this occurs, simply Soft Reset; all progress will be saved (beaten/complete levels, your emeralds etc.), but you will have to travel back to the stage you were on.

Fixed

16. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    If you disabled the TimeOver, then why have a time in the HUD at all? Granted, time does contribute to your score. So perhaps have the timer running elsewhere, just not visibly? And at the end of each act, see your 'mystery' time and receive a score respective to your time. I don't know. I think its a good idea.

17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Hmm, this is something to consider. Maybe in the future, I can eliminate the Time and Time Bonus text altogether, and actually show the point bonus you get for getting every monitor, and maybe even have a counter in the HUD displaying how many monitors you found, and how many you have left to find (maybe like this: "COLORS 0/6"). Interesting idea...

UPDATE:

Beta 4.2 Build

-Fixes Restart Monitor/Boss Glitch, that JoenickSRB found.

So yeah, this'll be the last update until around Mid-December/Christmas, because classes are starting Monday.

Enjoy!

*edit* Also fixed the credits on the Wiki Page, and updated the "Current Version" link on the first post.

18. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Sounds good to me.

19. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Kalin and I played this:

He was entirely too sleep-deprived to be exploring by this point. xD As we said, I think this is REALLY well done and an impressive technical achievement. But it accentuates an aspect of the game that I personally never found very enjoyable. And that's fine! I wouldn't change a thing about the way you've designed this, because the great thing about the classic Sonic games is that there are lots of different ways to enjoy them. Implementing some sort of hint system as an option would most likely be what it'd take for me to really enjoy it, though.

Still, I do love what you've done with the hack.

20. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Thanks for playing this! Your video was definitely helpful. As far as a navigational system, you brought up an interesting idea with the shield. A way to give hints or direction is something I've been trying to figure out how to implement for a while now. MarkeyJester suggested having hint arrows that show up after each found color, but single direction arrows could become ambiguous with 5-7 monitors, especially in Marble Zone. I'm definitely open to more ideas and suggestions! Speaking of that, what did everyone think of the gameplay Marble Zone onward?