don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I could see painting Classic Sonic as an in-universe obnoxious little shit who annoys the rest of the cast and needs to be mellowed out being interpreted as...problematic. There was enough overblown ire just for making a cute little reference to how nobody ever says "Robotnik" anymore.

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF9oA355J1k

I was playing Sonic Generations on the 3DS, and out of nowhere the graphics for the rings started getting all glitchy. This persisted even after I entered different levels.

Weird stuff, man.

3. MachOneSonic

MachOneSonic

↑ & ↓ & ↻ in Aquarium Park Act 2
    Youtube. Conquering the world comes 2nd.
    First Post! :v:
    Anywho, did this continue after you, for example, switched the game off and restarted?

4. it's not a bug, it's clearly a referance to back in the old days using debug mode messed up some of the graphics :specialed:

5. MachOneSonic

MachOneSonic

↑ & ↓ & ↻ in Aquarium Park Act 2
    Youtube. Conquering the world comes 2nd.
    Debug mode in my Generations?

I'll take it.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Never seen that happen before, but then again I've not invested too much time into Gens 3DS. The fact that the rings were pre-rendered sprites with only a few animation frames always bothered me though.

7. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    So, I finally got a computer capable of playing this game, so I plugged in my Classic Controller to USB adapter to start playing. I start the configuration tool, and it sees my controller. But now I have no idea how I set up the controller. It has all the buttons listed as "undefined", I can't figure out how to change them, and it doesn't even have listings for the analog stick, despite using the stick to control the mouse in the config. Now what do I do?

8. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I've never tried setting it up with a Classic Controller, but I've used a USB Saturn and 360 controller. I just have to click the buttons and it asks me to press a button to set it. The image of the controller represents the 360 layout, so try clicking on the "Undefined"s.

9. Captain L

Captain L

That's exactly the problem. I can click on the "undefined"s, but nothing happens when I do. It will when I use it with the keyboard setting, but no secondary menu comes up with either controller setting (my USB adapter has ports for 2 controllers, so it comes up as 2 whenever I'm using anything). And I've already tested the controller with an emulator, it works just fine.

10. Captain L

Captain L

I eventually just said "fuck it" to trying to get it work with my controller as-is and just downloaded x360ce. Well, no matter what I do in that, the configuration still fails to show any 360 controller, and just launching the game directly doesn't work either. x360ce finds different online files depending on whether or not I run the program in a normal location or the Sonic Generations folder, and neither of them work. Running it in a normal folder sets up all the buttons correctly, and the Sonic Generations folder doesn't, and I can't manually set it up because it thinks my L button is always pressed (though Windows calibration doesn't). So, I'm going to need step-by-step instructions on how to get a USB gamepad running, because no amount of research is helping.

11. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I assume you've gotten this gamepad working in other games before?

12. Captain L

Captain L

It works perfectly on my emulators, but I haven't tried anything more complicated. A quick test of Sonic Adventure will suffice.

EDIT: Alright, that's weird. I ran Sonic Adventure on my previous computer with x360ce and the same controller setup, and it worked fine. Now, despite the fact that all of the files are the same (x360ce reads my controller fine here), the configuration can't find a controller at all.

EDIT 2: Alright, all I did this time was copy the x360ce configuration files from the Sonic Adventure DX folder (the game that wasn't working), and now everything works perfectly. SENSE

13. Sorry or the late response, but no, the rings went back to normal after I restarted the game.

14. Captain L

Captain L

I've now finished the game, so it's time to share my disappointments!
    -The story and writing are so incredibly bare, especially from the same writers of Colors (and MadWorld).
    -Classic Sonic does not feel right without skills. He doesn't jump high enough and he slips around too much.
    -If there's different cutscenes for both Classic and Modern Sonic after rescuing a friend, why does Modern Sonic act like he's just reusing a Classic Sonic animation?
    -It's really short. Close to 5 hours when I failed pretty often and did a larger than necessary number of challenges.
    -Classic Crisis City and both versions of Planet Wisp are terrible levels.
    -Beating the final boss is only a matter of being lucky with collecting rings.
    -I'm used to hearing constant repetitious chatter from Sonic games, but that final boss is the only time it was annoying.
    -Amy's new voice is awful.
    -Some of the challenges are downright evil, like the Goal Post Juggle in Classic Crisis City.

That's all the problems I could think of. There's still the things I liked.
    -Game looks great and runs smoothly on my laptop, even at the highest graphical settings.
    -Other new voices that are new to this game are good. Knuckles, Charmy, and Silver barely sound different, but I really like Blaze, Vector, Espio, and especially Shadow.
    -Easy to get S-Ranks. That's a positive. I'm still working really hard sometimes in these levels, I don't want my effort to be rewarded with a D because said hard work was getting past a difficult obstacle that killed me so many times (Unleashed Project, looking at you)
    -Modern levels were usually pretty fun. I just like that style of gameplay more here because as I said, Classic Sonic does not control right.
    -Fantastic music. Highlights of Speed Highway (both versions), modern Green Hill, classic City Escape, classic Crisis City. And having custom music for each level will be nice once I unlock the good songs.
    -Mythology gags. The missing poster for Ray and Mighty really got me.
    -Two Eggmans for the price of one.

Overall, a fun game that was over too quickly, and since I already completed the biggest mod, there's not too much to do beside Red Ring hunting and challenges. But I'll probably go back and do those. It's just got some missed opportunities, like levels from Sonic CD (Quartz Quadrant), Shadow (Digital Circuit), Secret Rings (Pirate Storm), and Black Knight (Knight's Passage).

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    All of which are side games. :v:

I like replacing the dull as hell Time Eater music with Endless Possibility, since it makes the battle strangely more amazing. If you play it just right, the final strike lands right when the music begins to wind down at the end, making it especially awesome.

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Guess I should bring this up, what track do you guys use for the final boss track? for me I switch out between a looped version of Crush 40's Sonic Boom and Sonic Youth, Youth especially since it feels like it should've been in Generations to begin with.

17. Captain L

Captain L

I don't see myself ever fighting the final boss again, but it's gotta be something Crush 40. I'm thinking What I'm Made Of. Or A New Venture.

18. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Either Sweet Mountain or Splash Hill Zone. The first because I like it and use it in nearly every stage anyway, the second because I think that boss deserves as annoying a song.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I enjoy playing 'A New Venture' over Perfect Chaos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7c1JAOf-hA

It's absolutely perfect. Chaos rises up from the water shouting "wahooo" and the level actually starts with "life starts with a sunny day".

As for the Time Eater? I don't use anything. Beat the boss once back in November 2011, and I don't think I'll ever go back to it.

20. Captain L

Captain L

We need a series of videos for "A New Venture Goes with Everything". Both times I've seen the song used in a boss fight, the pause in the song comes at a perfect moment. Perfect Chaos, it was right between the two phases. Clement's Death Egg Robot, it's right when the robot collapses.