don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Sometimes the book matches the cover.

2. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I have to agree, that pic does sum the whole thing up quite nicely. A picture really is worth a thousand words, and people have certainly dropped thousands of them in Ken's direction. Me included. :#

I knew I'd be too scared to look at that interview. This post is proof of how creepy that face is. Although this is one time the "lady's first" motto shouldn't need apply; sorry you saw that before I did, Mecha Sally. ;w;

I'm already scarred for life by that Lara-su cover, so I think I'm good for another two weeks before I view that pic.

3. .Luke: If you've seen a picture of him previously, he has longer brown hair and no mustache. I'd say he looks even creepier without it.

4. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    That picture of Penders made me genuinely physically ill.

5. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Yeah, I have, but I think it was probably an earlier picture where he had a mustache. He was pretty creepy with it, and I thought he would look better with the thing shaved off. But if what Guess Who is saying is true, then I was dead wrong.

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Man, what happened to him? Sure he looked a bit odd before but the then and now is surprising.

7. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    Ken Penders without a moustache, never even thought that was possible, and respected? Maybe sometime many years ago but now, no he lost a lot of that from fans as soon as all of this shit happened in the way he did it.

Well I read the interview, I gotta say the man sounds happy, good for him?
    So apparently he's been getting support from fans about all of this, but aren't on this "Online Vitriol" as he calls it, and just WHERE are these fans exactly? I mean from what I've seen on Penders forums other then pity there hasn't been a lot of support from the fans...or at all from what I've seen for that matter. Also a more emotional response? It's been about 3 years, I THINK we are a little dulled out at this point about the characters by now, at least I am but hey, Archie is still publishing the Knuckles Backlogs so the fuck if I or anyone knows on what Archie is gonna do about his characters. But we aren't critical about the artwork because of this bullshit, oh no, we're critical about it because it SUCKS, especially the recent artwork you released, in oh so many ways that cannot be counted that you should already know. I didn't care about the first promo art, it was Penders standard fair when it comes to his artwork so whatever but THAT, that is something else entirely. And exactly WHO are these fellow professionals Penders is talking about? For some reason Rob Liefeld and Frank Miller come to mind. "I had always intended with that design", Ken you really have a strange imagination, that's all I can say about that. If Archie can use the characters then they will, hell with all this legal bullshit Geoffrey has still been in the comic when Julie-Su vanished so...you know what at this point I'll be glad if they throw all those characters out, as interesting and cool they could be at times after all this I don't even know if I even want them back anymore in the Archie Comic.

I would actually like to call bullshit on Penders last answer from the interview, because apparently he has 5 or more volumes of books that he wants to write, getting answers? No, chances are that these "answers" are just more questions that may or may not ever be answered, considering his track record with his own work like The Lost Ones and The Republic they might never even see the light of day. Then again, the guy REALLY likes the characters he made for the comic book about Sonic The Hedgehog Knuckles The Echidna so maybe we will see the first volume sometime in the future, who knows.

8. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

Oh come on guys, I'm sure he's not that scary. *Clicks image*

[​IMG]
    OH GOD, I DON'T EVEN...

That image makes it hard for me to take the interview seriously, which isn't saying much considering it seems like he's spouting bullshit about people wanting movie adaptions of his fan fiction? I don't even understand why go through the trouble of needing older characters from the comics that he's created. By the time of Lara-Su, most of these guys are will be either too old to do much besides Soap Opera drama or dead. Their offspring are no better off and will probably have more girly sleepovers and talk about boys as their focus when a major threat to their very existence is lingering just around the corner (Looking at you original M25YL Story Arc).

9. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I think the topic's title change to Pender's face is appropriate. My younger cousin dared me to click the link last night, and well, er, oh God. Mind if I borrow that reaction GIF from your signature, Metalsonic?

[​IMG]

We both physically stepped back from the screen in repulse, and he was so scared by it, that he grabbed the mouse and closed the tab for me, because I couldn't move. I didn't even go to that page expecting something like this.

Maybe we could go back to talking about Pender's bad art instead? Because that would be the less disturbing of the two.

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I don't think he looks that bad, there's a line you cross before you start insulting others just because it's the trendy thing to do, and I think this is past it.

If anything, I'd like you all to focus on his shit characters, shit artistic (?) style, bullshit lawsuit and the gall of the man, rather than whether he looks creepy because he's shaved off his facial hair.

I'm not saying this just because I too am an unsightly cunt, by the way.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  11. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    What about a picture of him drawn in his own style? Would that even resemble him?

12. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I don't know much or even care about the comics, but I must say, Penders is a rather sad person. It's a bit surreal to see an actual professional that had real ties with Sega in one form or another acting like a whiny entitled fanboy who writes really crappy fanfiction. Seriously, this whole thing is about his stupid fan characters, and he vehemently defends them. I'd expect this kind of behavior from a shortsighted and naive child (or childish, if not actually a child) fanboy, not an adult who was actually getting paid and had to work maturely with other people on a daily basis.

I do find this all rather humorous, though.

13. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I really do think he looks legitimately creepy, or at least his smile does; the opinion of the majority didn't bring me to that. I just wasn't even expecting what I saw, and nothing prepared me for it. Still, we've probably given his appearance enough attention anyway. I'd like to focus more on the questionable quality of his works, and what he's (probably knowingly) putting the fanbase through in the process, myself.

Anyway, I swear, with every new drawing he posts on the Internet, it's another lesson in how not to be an artist to me. I wish I could get the kind of joy Metalman over there does from Ken's art, but it just horrifies me too much to even look at it. And it's convenient I find a tutorial that described why dodge and burn is bad earlier today in my watchlist. I already knew it was generally not a good idea in most cases, but I couldn't believe how bad that technique is for color depth and variety, upon reading that. It seems to be a helpful tool for photo-manipulation, but not cartoon artwork or paintings.

14. Retroman

Retroman

Didn't had any hair to begin with because he's bald!

Doesn't mean he is smart though

15. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    I'm no legal expert but it seems to me Penders could potentially sue someone or Retro as libel. Even if that's not the case, I don't understand why people need to make fun of his appearance and be so nasty in general. Whether you agree with him or not Penders still deserves be treated like a human being. This thread gives me an ill feeling in my stomach. I am ashamed of comments here.

16. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Seconded.

What ever happened to being classy, Retro?

Sometimes people have unflattering photographs. Big deal. It would be nice if we could keep the criticism to the man's work and not resort to ad hominem attacks.

17. Tylinos

Tylinos

Uh, libel is about written lies, not making fun of someone for their actions. Though I agree that making fun of his appearance is just silly, and we shouldn't be doing that. I'm all for criticizing what he's done, but the way he looks? No. (And if it's about the new topic title, I'm seeing it as two seperate things, the fact that he shaved, and the horror of his new art, which makes me laugh. At least, I hope that's what it means.)

18. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    I'm sure there are some lies in here somewhere but I don't really want to get into a discussion of that law.

I am just glad I'm not the only one who thinks we should be better than this. And hey can't we all agree that copyright law is shitty anyway? As far as I'm concerned Penders, Sega, and anyone else should be able to write and sell stories about any of these characters. And may the best stories sell the most copies.

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Which is worse? Ken's horrible promotional art?

[​IMG]

Or my first attempt with the burn and dodge tool back when I was about 14?

[​IMG]

Both drawings look like amateur garbage, yet there's something oddly disgusting about the Lara-Su Chronicles promo art.

20. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lara-Su even has the matching jowls.