don't click here

Sonic 3 Complete

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tiddles, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    More likely what will happen, if they are commissioned to remake Sonic 3 & Knuckles, is that Sega will have them create Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles as separate games because profit, and have some sort of digital lock-on technology like Episode Metal. Then, perhaps hidden in an Options menu, the extras that Tiddles has added could be used. They will more than likely not have the bugs or pallette issues of the original games, and they may be able to get away with the subtle changes, like the new Zone logos, but everything else will need to be in a separate option:

[ ] Complete Edition
    - This mode includes a few aesthetic changes to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, inspired by the original intent of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles as well as input from very technically-skilled fans.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It sucks, because they separated the game back in 1994 because they wanted a Sonic game at Christmas, we're forever doomed to having them considered 2 separate games, except for Generations, when suddenly "LULZ they're one game now, that's why there's no Sonic 3 level in either version!"

But what would they add to an iOS version anyway? If Sonic 1 and 2 get the S3K extras, what extras would be left except for Sonic 2 shield mode.

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Well as Tiddles proved, there is room for expansion.

Alternatively they could start taking additions from the next evolution and put in CD or Chaotix extras.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Ehhhhh. Technically the Big Arms boss counts as a Sonic 3 contribution. =P

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Well, I imagine classic sprite styles would be easier to import to the iOS version then on the Mega Drive.

6. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I personally consider this hack to be the current 'defacto' version despite being unofficial. If there ever is an unemulated rerelease, this is definitely what to model it on. If Sega decides to have someone other than Whitehead do it, and then go off and not use anything from S3C, I'll be pissed at the missed opportunity for an even more polished version.

7. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Honestly, I think they're 'ignoring' Hyper Sonic simply because he wasn't intended to exist, and came about only as an effect of splitting the game up into two parts. Not only that, there's a lot more photosensitivity concern today as compared to 1993/1994. They couldn't have Hyper Sonic flashing like he did in S3&K in a 3D title, because all that needs to happen is someone with issues gets Sonic taking up most of the screen, and Sega will have all sorts of problems. Doesn't mean they couldn't use a slower, more fade-type solution, though.

8. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Wasn't Hyper Sonic supposed to originally be silver??? I remember reading that somewhere... Why not just do that? Sure it isn't consistent... but for people who do like, and wanna see Hyper Sonic, its better than excluding the Hyper Form altogether...

Now, that said I'm one of the few who oppose Hyper Sonic (not due to seizures or any crazy shit... I just think it is overkill) Why not just opt for whatever was originally intended? (That is, if anyone knows what that may have been?)

If this isn't known, is a future interview in order??? [​IMG]

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    [​IMG]

YES! Downloading this right away! I know I'm not the only one to request this, but thanks anyway Tiddles!

10. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Sure, ignore all the other hard work like Night FBZ and the classic sprites/controls. :rolleyes:

Also, make sure to thank ValleyBell too, since the music wouldn't even exist if he hadn't made it.

11. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I mostly prefer the Genesis music, but damn if PC Ice Cap isn't easily the catchiest song between all versions of both games.

12. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I wasn't saying any of that stuff was unimportant, I was just happy to see the music implemented. Also forgive my ignorance on ValleyBell's part, I'd also like to thank him for composing it as well.

13. Sorry if this reply is slightly late but this is probably one of my all time favourite Sonic romhacks. As of the latest version its gotten almost ridiculously better with being able to play it like the original plan (Ice Cap after Flying Battery and all)

One thing I wanna know is, with the Sonic 1 sprites option for Sonic did you consider adding another option to include some of hiss extra Sonic CD sprites as well? (Teeting on edge and the like?) I think I saw his Super Peel-Out there and his Sega CD BIOS sprite as his win pose, too, just wondering.

Pink Knuckles is a great idea for an option too.

14. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Yes.

I'm not sure if you mean this as a suggestion, but you can already switch to pink Knuckles via the customiser.

Thanks for the feedback!

15. I knew that. I was just saying it was a nice option idea. Guess I should have worded it better. The extra music was a great idea too, especially bringing back Sonic 1 and 2's level clear jingle.

I would like to see Sonic CD's edge teetering sprites in as well. Those were pretty cute.

Another thing I would have liked to see return though was Robotnik's "laughing" sprite if he ever landed a hit on you like in Sonic 1 or 2. I was a bit disappointed that never made it into 3 or K.

16. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I second this... though you'd probably also want more extra sprites for Eggrobo as well... just bear this in mind. I wonder if they just couldn't fit it in? Either that or they wanted to go in a less "cartooney" direction for Eggman in S3K.

17. Well I guess for Eggrobo you could have his eyes flashing if he lands a hit on you. Either that or have it just Robotnik laughing and leave Eggrobo out.

18. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Huh, never noticed that before. That sucks, why didn't the devs bother keeping that preexisting feature?

He's a robot anyway, not much need to add emotional expression.

19. Yeah. If you want to though, do the flashing eyes thing. Sounds good, right?

20. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    The robot part is a good point, but yea, flashing eyes would certainly be a nice additional detail... paying homage to a detail seen in the previous games.

At the same time though, having Eggman laugh with Eggrobo doing nothing may seem like nothing... but it's a tiny detail that just makes Eggrobo appear more cold in comparison.