don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog featured on Did You Know Gaming? (again)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TonicBH, Jul 23, 2013.

1. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk3gFN15hx4[/youtube]

As you may notice, a lot of the stuff comes from Retro, as well as The Cutting Room Floor, but without crediting either. In addition, there's a few hacks in there that while credited as "fan recreations" aren't credited. I'm not a fan of DYKG because of this (how fucking hard is it to credit something, seriously), but what does Retro think about this development?

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I don't like it, especially considering they're probably making money from this through Youtube partnerships.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    lemongrab_unforgivable.jpg

No but seriously. He's making money off of other people's work. Whoever made those "fan creations" should make a big stink about this, in particular.

4. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    They get a lot of it from VGFacts submissions. In fact, the lines at about 1:38 and 1:48 are directly from my Sonic Rush submission.

EDIT: But, Aerosol, I don't actually mind. I'm happy that my trivia got in. It does beg the question why they would not include the sources of the information, because I sure didn't say there were fourteen instances of sampling. I just gave three. (Remember that it's not the narrator--it's the guy in charge of DYKG doing these. Probably.)

5. Some Dude's Hand

Some Dude's Hand

Needs more loops... Member
    Empire City
    Getting my ideas off the paper and into the computer.
    This problem seems to stretch beyond Sonic. Look at their Mario videos, for example. None of them mention the Cutting Room Floor or the Mario Wiki.

Quick edit: And yet on their Metroid and Final Fantasy videos, they provide links to TCRF in the description. They really need to cite their sources more often.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Actually, VGFacts and Did You Know Gaming are part of eachother, it seems likely that they get everything from there. VGFacts does put the source under the info though, so it shouldn't be too hard to put the source in the video. Some of the sources are actually Did You Know Gaming though (and are also submitted by DYKG).

7. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Of course, I know that. I guess I didn't explain thoroughly: when I said they get a lot of trivia from VGFacts, I meant that...well, why would they not? They're a part of each other, like you said.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I advise people reach out and explain to him why crediting sources is a good thing.

If he doesn't wish to listen, then we can more than happily request to have his content pulled. It's just basic research etiquette--you source your material to support your discussion. Shit, even a quick "Special Thanks: (site list where sources were obtained from goes here)" will do.

But looking around lately, that's just something that isn't taught anymore since people are more than happy to puke up whatever they read on wikipedia, but that's another discussion.

9. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    So is there a reason this video is just one long stream of consciousness type deal because

Well

I'd hope that the production value would be slightly better than this.

Also, what is the point of talking about Genocide City Zone and not talk about how the artwork for that level was retooled into The Machine from Sonic Spinball. That would have been a slightly more interesting visual than the fan-recreation of Genocide City that didn't need to be seen.

And Dean Sitton wasn't a developer. Dean Sitton created some names for Sega of America. Dean Sitton wasn't involved in the actual production of the game. Him saying he thinks the goggles were just for decoration isn't the best source of info.

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    That's like asking any of us about Sonic 4 development. :v:

Most of the budget was spent on Dessert Fridays and booze

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Going to be absolutely honest here

It's a strange thing to try and claim ownership of "information". Hack footage, maybe, but turning the contents of Sonic Retro and tCRF into a script is not a crime (and, in all fairness, these guys could go out of their way to re-research everything if they wanted to). As for getting money from it... well... putting together a video isn't always easy, and putting the information out there in a more accessible format is admirable. Sonic Retro has had years to beat them to it - nothing stopping you from making a video response that's 3480932048032 times better

It's nice to get a mention but ultimately it's a pointless task trying to enforce it. When you start posting stuff on the internet you can pretty much reclassify everything as public domain.

12. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    I'm gonna side with Black Squirrel on this.

It's obvious there's more people on YouTube than people browsing the Sonic Retro info pages gathering all of the "little known" bits of information. I'm sure you guys wouldn't be so mad if they were crediting their sources, which I agree should be something they're doing, but to be upset that they're monetizing off this, well they're relaying a small bit of information you guys could have put out for years. The difference here is that this guy's posting general video game information, giving him an advantage in that respect, but at the same time reaching to a wider audience of people. There are some people who watch DYKG I'm sure just to listen to stuff they didn't care to look up before. Say someone knows about Sonic and doesn't think much about the series, other than its rabid fanbase. He likes DYKG and goes "meh why not." Said person would find out from the video that, at a time, this IP actually had a lot of influence on and from the world. Seriously, some people I talk to legitimately never knew Sonic was the first Macy's video game character balloon. This information on DYKG becomes more accessable. Would it be nicer if the sources were more propperly credited? Yes, but they DO link to VG Facts where they pull all their information, so if someone were to click say Sonic the Hedgehog they'd not only get the information they got from the video + sources, but they'd get a lot more too!

I agree some things, like creator of the fan creation, should get credited, because people don't seem to realize how hard it was to get that shit to happen in the first place, or how many completely retooled games there are based off Sonic (seriously you guys, you're insane}, and citing where those hacks came from would be a great way of showing the uninformed the good side of the community. And the creator would get credited for his work properly. But still, some information that he got has been taken from Retro and other sources and just plastered everywhere on the internet; he could have gotten this information from anywhere. In that case though, I guess it's better all the while to source his information so people can call him out on his BS, like David did.

MEH :(

13. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Not only that, but along with the actual sprites for the goggles found in the data, there was a sprite of them used on an item box, absolutely confirming they were a useful item, making the only use for them a breathing apparatus. Which still doesn't make sense considering the goggles only cover his eyes and they're, you know, goggles. But hey, Sonic can breathe in space, I can assume a pair of goggles covering his eyes would keep him from drowning.

14. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    The only aspect of the video that really bothered me was the lack of listed sources for the fan recreations footage. It would've been nice if Retro was cited, but a lot of information is all over the web and this site doesn't really own that information. However, those rom hacks should've had their creators properly cited. I agree with both Black Squirrel and Chimera that it's surprising that Retro never tried to make information videos on YouTube. If the videos got popular, they would increase Retro's popularity and the extra money made from the videos could help pay for the site's bandwidth costs among other things.

15. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    What bothered me about it was how he showed a clip of Wood Zone from a fan recreation, and then implied that it was worked on longer than Hidden Palace. I don't think so. Wood Zone is barely more than a graphics test. Hidden Palace is at least part of a whole act.

16. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    It has been a while, but wasn't there some....I think it was deformation data for wood zone (and other zones) found in the rev 00 dump of S2? That was different than in the wai beta, so it was thought to have been worked on more before being scraped.

It always made me wonder exactly how far Wood Zone made it....

17. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I can't say I really care for DYKG's style or behavior. On the flip side, it's hard to claim ownership of information of this kind.

I say karma will eventually bite 'em instead.

18. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    ...Have you guys checked the description of the video? Looks like he added something:

I actually PM'd him on the situation, and he responded back by thanking me about telling him. Still, there are obviously a lot more sources than just Retro alone. Hopefully he takes all the sources into account for future videos.

EDIT: The link works when clicking it in the YouTube description.

19. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Anyone want to actually do this? Make an official Sonic Retro Youtube channel and make some videos? I might not have the best voice, but I wouldn't mind doing some video production for it.

20. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I'd be glad to do voice and maybe some video work (and even gameplay capture for PC or emulatable games; I have no capture card), but I can't be involved in any writing.