don't click here

New Game Maker Studio Sonic Engine

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by AeroGP, Jul 14, 2013.

1. AeroGP

AeroGP

Los Angeles, CA
    Sonic for GameMaker: Studio
    This download requires an up-to-date copy of Game Maker : Studio on the stable channel. (1.3.1347) You can also download the previous version here.
    Download this if you just want to play with the results.

If there are features you would like to see added out of the box, feel free to recommend them although there is no guarantee I will actually add them. (It largely depends on how much utility it has)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    That engine is really impressive and the test levels were pretty fun to screw around in, especially with some of the ideas introduced in the second test stage. Fantastic job.

3. That was really good! I noticed one or two occasional minor things that felt off, but nothing I can quite put my finger on, but overall it was an excellent basis. The music randomly decided to loop the wrong track a few times. Is that the music issue you're referring to?

It would be nice to see those help files too, because it took me a little while to find the jump button, and I accidentally changed the screen size a few times, and would like to know how Idid it! [​IMG]

4. AeroGP

AeroGP

Los Angeles, CA
    First post updated with controls.

It'll take some time to come up with a help document that is comprehensive enough that people can feel comfortable.

5. Excellent.

I just remembered, the first up/down platform moves me sideways for some reason.

6. AeroGP

AeroGP

Los Angeles, CA
    That's by design, though I should probably change the sprite to reflect what it's doing more accurately.

7. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    This may be the most accurate Game Maker engine I've played. All the others are always noticeably imbalanced or have outstanding bugs. This feels very close to Sonic 2, very impressive.
    Link for source files are 404ing.

8. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I've been wanting to put something together for GM 8.1 for ages... While general object code wasn't an issue, I couldn't ever get the character collision quite right. cant wait to try this. Hope you can fix the source link...

9. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    This is mighty impressive work. A few niggles here and there, but its current state is quite good. There was a slope problem here and there where I would get flung upwards off the slope instead of continuing on a path. That and Sonic can reach the warp speed of fast if you just roll on the round on the circle stage object.

10. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Ha I forgot to mention that. What really impressed me though was after building up to light speed, I jumped off and the collision still worked perfectly fine.

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    very solid work here !

12. AeroGP

AeroGP

Los Angeles, CA
    Uploaded the wrong source file. The source link should now work correctly.

@Tithin: If you could elaborate a bit on the slope issue, I would appreciate it.

13. winterhell

winterhell

Its likely that your slope physics are a bit off because you are computing them based on the collision mask. In the original games the collision slope wasn't always accurate to the visual slope, you can have 21 degrees visual slope but 27 precomputed or vice-versa.

14. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    YES! I was wondering what you would make of this :)

Heres a couple of things:
    • A scaled-up collision mask makes sonic bump over the enlarged pixels as he goes down, you should calculate this position through maths, not the mask.
    • Sonic's mask should not always be that small. That small size should only be if Sonic is in a ball, or ducking. sonic should otherwise be 40 (?) pixels tall.

Otherwise, fantastic work.

15. AeroGP

AeroGP

Los Angeles, CA
    This engine was designed so that I would not have to do those things. I will not be changing them.

16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Ok then. Good stuff.

Gunna have a great look through it, hopefully learn some things!

17. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I can't wait until I'm not broke and can buy a pro copy of GM 8.1, this looks really nice; I'll definitely give the compiled build a play next time I'm not completely glued to Linux. (Probably haven't booted into Windows in a month, or two; oh the updates that'll be waiting for me.)

While it's not something I can exactly use, since my own engine is specialized for external custom characters, externally built stages, and splitscreen co-op, I'm sure I could probably learn some new tricks from this, or add more features to it, when I get the chance to pick it apart. If what Mr Lange says about the physics is true, I'd like to see what makes it feel similar to Sonic 2.

Is there a particular reason for that? O: I'm curious. Unless Game Maker 8.1's sprite collisions are handled differently from earlier versions, it seems odd not to handle collisions through math; collisions purely with a mask are jagged in behavior and aren't pixel perfect during movement, in my experience.

18. AeroGP

AeroGP

Los Angeles, CA
    1. Fundamental design choice to separate this engine from AeSthEte.
    2. Accomodates gravity directions other than 0 more easily and is easier to understand.

19. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Unfortunately, the engine will hang on startup on my computer (Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E420, Windows 7 Professional). This particular machine is quite tempermental with Game Maker's runtime.

20. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    At least you were more successful with an alternative method for physics than I was. I tried a bobsled-esque mask that checked the terrain slightly ahead of the character. It technically worked great at slow speeds, and close to pixel perfect on landing, but the math that held it together, not so much. If you moved too fast, Sonic would fly right through the slope like water and slowly rise back up to the ground above it. (Still considering for enemy physics, however, since they don't move so fast, and it's much simpler than giving them dumbed down player character physics.)

Anyway, I'm glad you didn't bump into the problems I did, although I still worry this method could make Sonic fly right through a wall if moving fast enough. (The super characters in my own engine have a really high speed cap.) I should play the demo before I judge, though.

By that do you mean different angles of gravity, (Like reverse gravity in Sonic & Knuckles' Death Egg Zone) or simple changes of direction while running along slopes? Sorry if that confused me, I'm not sure if you meant either of those.