don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    I suppose you shouldn't even bother with that. Since they did a poor job with 'porting' it over anyways. Sceneeffect is all wrong, missing objects, wrong objects being used. All-around funny to see happen.

2. Paraxade

Paraxade

Yes they can. See Unleashed Project.

Anyhow, I'm still working on Kingdom Valley. I've been making customized collision (something most people don't bother with in ports :P), and just finished the collision for the second half of the level.

[​IMG]

So yeah, everything visible in the picture is completely custom-modeled almost from scratch (with the exception of the cathedral). Anything that isn't in there isn't going to have customized collision. Took a bit over a week.

3. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Can I have an explanation as to why this doesn't exist as a mod yet?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyjrO-yULxc

Come on, within 2 days of Arin suggesting a mod where you could play as a real hedgehog, it was made, so why not do the same for Jon?

4. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I can't get one of the stages to load in that Adabat Adventure Pack. It just gets stuck at the loading screen and the stage never starts. The others work just fine though.

5. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Its great quality work there then.

Also looking good Paraxade, but you could have just used the collision importer to actually get the real collisions. Trust me they aren't that bad.

Darkspines made it in his freetime and it works decently well. Just have to do some math to figure out the correct sizing, but awesome that you did that from scratch though.

6. Paraxade

Paraxade

Yeah I have access to the collision importer, but the original collision in 06 is awful. It's really inaccurate and the walls stick out like two feet from the visible mesh. I'd rather just do it myself and make something that works a lot better.

7. Where did you find it? I've been looking for it for a while =P.

8. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    It's probably one of those "insiders only" tools. There's a quiet a few of them on the Sonic 06 and Sonic Unleashed hacking community.

9. Paraxade

Paraxade

I think I actually have a different one than the one Zoney is talking about, the one I have is a QuickBMS script made by Daguar (Gorila5). Send him a PM on YouTube and ask him about it. I kinda doubt he wants it to be an insider-only thing, but I haven't asked him about it so prolly better if you just ask him for it yourself.

10. Arcieo

Arcieo

Adabat Adventure Pack mod
    We learn from our mistakes. (v1.1 WIP)
    [​IMG]

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Being passive aggressive about it does no-one any good.

12. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

Since this topic was bumped, has anyone else had issues with Dude's Spline Exporter? For whatever reason, whenever I try to port all my splines, random ones get deleted in 3DS Max once the exporter is finished. Don't know if there's a fix or what but it's down-right annoying.

13. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Paste the contents of the maxscript listener window when this happens to you. I'd like to know more.

14. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

http://pastebin.com/tA1gpmJ9

The odd thing is that it's completely random which one gets deleted, my dash-path near the ends got deleted this time yet last time it didn't.

EDIT: It does get exported and I can find it in the .xml file I exported. However, it still gets deleted in 3DS Max and doesn't show up in Sonicglvl, nor does it work in Sonic Generations.

15. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Hmm, well the only known bug isn't what's happening here. Just to double check unhide everything in your scene and look at 0,0,0 and see if there is a rogue path there.

If that isn't it I have no idea what the problem is. I made this script a long time ago back when I didn't know much about 'proper' data processing so it does pretty bad things like modify an object it is working on real-time and doesn't store backup copies. Can you give me a step-by-step of how you normally export paths?

16. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

Something I realize, I'm still able to select the deleted spline in 3DS Max, however all the vertexes are deleted and there's absolutely no vertexes I can edit/modify. However, when I export the single spline, the .xml still shows up as the vertexes existing.

As for exporting, I just press H, select all of my splines, go to the utilities tab, "run", choose your script, export, select ghz200.path.xml and let the exporter do its thing.

EDIT: Nevermind, they're being repositioned/resized randomly, not at 0,0,0 but WAY off the map. Any reason for this?

17. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Ok so this is the known bug... When you export do you only have spline objects selected? If the script runs into a problem it stops mid-export (while the spline object is moved to 0,0,0 relative to it's pivot point) and doesn't clean up after itself at all. The solution (since I've only ever run into this problem when a non-spline object is part of the selection) is to re-load the unmangled spline data from a previous save and re-export without the offending selection node.

Do you get any error messages in dialog box form? Make sure the only things in the selection are spline objects. That's really all I can tell you unless you want to send me a copy of the scene that is known to cause the problem and I can try to figure out what's gone wrong.

18. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

Sorry, fell asleep at the computer.

I do not receive an error, I redid the spline and it worked, moving any of the vertexes however causes the bug the happen for whatever reason.

19. StR Speedy

StR Speedy

Starlight Carnival
    Colors Porting
    I've got a severe prooblem with my mod project. For quite a while now I've been trying to import Sweet Mountain Acts 1 & 2 combined into Generations, and it's been going more or less smoothly, untill now. Whenever I try to play the stage, I get stuck at the loading screen. The game doesn't freeze, and trying any other stage while my mod is active yields no problem. Trying the problem stage with other mods enabled also yields no problem, so I know that this problem is being caused by my mod. I can even open the stage and edit it in SonicGLVL, but I can't pinpoint the cause of the loading screen glitch. I've managed to load the stage only twice after this problem started occuring, and this resulted only after haphazardly deleting objects from the stage. Even installing a stage guide path via the new spline tutorial didn't even fix this issue. Is there a certain object that is causing this glitch, or is there something else that I need to fix?

20. Faseeh

Faseeh

Some objects couldn't be causing it. Like a SSZcloud in a non-SSZ level without you having added the materials and all before. Stage-specific ones appearing out of their stages usually cause issues when you don't transfer their materials and such.

The stage guide path only helps in loading terrain and all like, it sets the path of loading. Nothing else.