don't click here

Sonic ATS - Released!

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by LakeFeperd, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Falk

Falk

Do you think Taxman has made enough money at this point to buy Taxman? Because if he has we might be able to get him in on the idea

this is why I'm not into business management

2. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Are you kidding me? Who the hell can't open rar files? I have read this complaint over and over again. Did everyone just start using computers yesterday?
    7Zip is an archive file manager. It can extract the contents of rar files. If it were any more safe it would be a cure for AIDS. If anything its safer than Winrar itself (which by the way is another very good archive file manager that can also create rar files).

Also, does no one really know about Camstudio? It's every bit as functional as bandicam or any other bullshit screen recorder but its totally free.

3. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    http://youtu.be/pO2MwLogoAg
    Production tutorials. My body wasn't ready.

4. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Yeah, that's definitely a good point. Not a lot of fan games written from scratch, (Whether it's made in Game Maker/MMF2 or C++.) and/or using all original artwork and music, get very far, but the games that can be quickly protyped with an existing engine are much more likely to be finished. I'm so amazed to see nearly a dozen truly fun fan games already built on top of Sonic Worlds; the fan game scene is finally better than alive.

AtS is a good example of how quickly a game can be put together with these engines, even with all of Sonic World's flaws to take into account. (Some of which I'd love to fix myself, since I got player crushing, among other things, to work on my Game Maker engine, so no more teleporting through the walls. But I can't afford MMF2 right now.) I'm sure a lot of its physics quirks could be easily fixed if someone were to poke and stab at it as much as I have Damizean's original Sonic 360 example; I've made it do a lot of things it couldn't by itself. Outside of said quirks, the engine runs great considering it's not written in a "real" game engine, like Taxman's. I would even say it's more efficient at what it does than anything I've done with Game Maker in the past.

It's mostly just too bad this isn't multiplatform like OpenSonic, (Which is written in C++ with SDL libraries.) otherwise the ease of development would translate to other OS's as well. Even Game Maker at least has a OS X option now, so I'm surprised this is so hard for MMF2 to provide. Still, the trade off of portability versus ease of production time is to be expected with these game making tools.

Yeah, Camstudio is great once you've configured got it configured to your liking; it mostly just sucks for recording games and can't keep the audio synced no matter what codec or settings I use. Otherwise I had no problems using it for what it's actually meant for, the usual software demonstration, I.e, an art video or two of GIMP.

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Oooooook, someone explain this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9nH9P_c6o

6. tunners

tunners

that is music in it's purest form.

7. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    beautiful.

Also, packed the two soundtracks together into one playlist. 126 songs total, and a grand total of 5.3 hours of music. I need an excuse to listen to the whole thing all the way through at some point...

8. Falk

Falk

macbook cameras flip the image

wait that wasn't what you were asking, was it?

9. tunners

tunners

I remember watching the first part of this thinking "jeez, that piano is tuned pretty low."

10. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    1:37-ish FFZ
    0:54 TTZ
    0:33 MMZ
    1:43 RRZ
    1:50 PPZ
    1:21 SSZ
    1:36 DDZ
    Forgot to write down the first three, but oh well :P

11. SeanieB

SeanieB

Chief Server Monkey Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    So, I have been providing a mirror for ATS since shortly after it was released, and noticed a huge spike in bandwidth, which is fine, and expected.

http://www.baixaki.com.br/download/sonic-after-the-sequel.htm

This site is directly linking to it, but they attempt to require a proprietary DL manager and talk about (potentially) disabling anti viruses.

Is this site legit? It says it's served over 6000 downloads, which my bandwidth records correlate. If it's doing nefarious things I can put a disclaimer and redirect everything to the Google site.

12. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    I couldn't play through the entire game.

I got pissed off and quit after failing the 3rd special stage the 4th time in a row.

There's just no way to get enough speed to catch the emerald, and after a Water shield helped me get #2, getting my Fire Shield taken away on attempt #2 was an inconsistency I couldn't deal with.

The major issue is you just cannot clear the goo formations at all, and they slow you down way too much. Make one mistake, and you don't have enough time to get back up to speed.

13. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I actually one shotted every special stage but Special Stage 6 (Special Stage 7's surprise caused me to go HAM all over the last one) It's just a matter of a little timing.

14. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    @SeanieB

Yeah, that site is legit, pretty popular in brazil.
    It has been there for years and they seem to like showing off fan games.
    Even though the description down in the botton says you have to use WASD to move...

Still, that download maneger thing is WIERD.

15. SeanieB

SeanieB

Chief Server Monkey Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    Yeah, I translated it and the thing sounded a lot better when I didnt try and read it on my own with no knowledge of Portugese.

At any rate, I estimate I've served 8,000-9,000 copies of the game.

16. So, any cheat codes? noticed if you complete the game on classic, that it links you back to the entrance if you've only collected below 6 emeralds like I have, giving you no chance to grab the last emerald.

17. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Failing the special stages is a poor reason to give up the entire game.
    I found them to be tricky at first but you may be surprised how quickly you'll get good at them. Indeed, a bit of timing goes a long way, and if you manage to keep any of the shields they can help a lot, especially bubble.

18. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Not to mention there's a mode that makes collecting the emeralds completely unnecessary to attain the best ending.

19. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Oh sure, the Bubble shield did help on #2.

Which is why when I attempted to take a fire shield with me, only to have it removed when the stage started up, it really pissed me off.

I mean, it lets you take one, but not another? That's an inconsistency in the rules I just won't put up with. So what if it makes the stage trivial? Take away the other shields (as they have their uses as well), or let me keep the one that breaks the challenge.

20. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Not sure what happened with your game, but I've taken a flame shield into a special stage before.