don't click here

Sonic ATS - Released!

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by LakeFeperd, Jan 5, 2012.

1. I shouldn't be able to jump at the Act Finish Talley, right?

Cause when I did, I died during the Talley for Moon Mansion and had to do the level over again.

2. Finally finished Story Mode. Was a lot of fun, but something came up during Dream Dance Zone's first Act. Does the Ring loss rate work independently of the level timer? I figured most Sonic games have you lose Rings at a rate of about one per second. My computer's rather slow, and it seems as though it slowed down the gameplay as well as the timer, but the Ring loss looks as though it was still going at the normal rate. Instead of losing one Ring every second, I was losing three Rings per lagged second, meaning that I was scrambling to pick up every single Ring that passed by, yet was still fighting a losing battle. I still managed to win and move on to Act two, but it was a balls-to-the-wall difficult fight.

By the way, do the Special Rings that I'm supposed to find in each Zone appear in Story Mode? I hadn't found any of them at all. I haven't started a Classic Mode playthrough yet, but can I still find them via Level Select? Also, does Boss Rush unlock anything if I beat it? If not, I'll probably avoid that option. The levels were pretty interesting to play through, but the bosses weren't quite as much.

I also wanted to ask something about the plot. I liked Before the Sequel because it managed to tell its own story while seemingly flawlessly tying into the plot for Sonic 2, showing Sonic, Tails, and Eggman during his attempt to actually launch the Death Egg up into space. Now, this game was discussing what happened between the Death Egg falling out of space for the first time, and Angel Island falling out of the sky. What exactly was Eggman trying to do? I'm assuming that he was trying to take the Chaos Emeralds during the first Zone either as in initial power source for the Death Egg, or simply to try and get Super Sonic out of the picture after having seen what he can do. However, I don't understand entirely what Storm Station was supposed to be. The Death Egg was his big superweapon that he was spending multiple games trying to set up and use, but Storm Station doesn't seem to serve a purpose other than a setting for a final level. For a bit, I thought that it was something he was planning on taking to the Death Egg to jump-start it in the same way you would with a car with a dead battery, but considering it crashed at the same spot that the launch rockets from Before the Sequel did, he didn't get to take it very far if that was the case. So, what the heck is it?

(Yes, I know I'm looking rather heavily at the plot to a fan-game, but I'm honestly curious. BtS had a really interesting plot that made complete sense. I don't understand this one.)

3. TimpZ

TimpZ

Sweden
    Speedrunning, learning ASM??
    I liked this game a lot. The level designs are good, the artwork is really good, the gimmicks and surprises are great, the music is amazing and the boss fights entertaining.

While most of the game is great, there are definitely weak points in the level design. Most notably in the later levels where at times it feels like the same areas are repeated with only slight variation, sequenced by a small stair section or tube with springs. It also feels too easy at times, where getting past really isn't a challenge but more a question of whether you're gonna get hit or not. Many times I were too bold and did something stupid that resulted in me falling down to what I thought was going to be my death as a punishment, only to land in a safe area where climbing back up was trivial.

At the same time much of the game feels really fresh. I particularly liked the Moon Mansion and Sugar Splash zones, and the trains in Foilage Furnace were a cool original addition to the level design. Not to mention how good all levels look visually, particularly Redhot Ride or Storm Station in my opinion.

I have to question the basic mechanics though. Acceleration is completely different from the genesis games and throws me off almost all the time when I'm jumping. It's possible to get used to but I still find it very hard to control and to be an odd design choice. Spindashing works similar to how the genesis games do but you only have one button to spindash with, making it a hassle trying to get some real speeds with it. Also the insta-shield (which is mostly useful for unlocking the controls after a roll jump) was omitted while powerup shields weren't.

That's my first impression of the game. Again I mostly mention this for as a way for you to improve and it might seem more negative that it is. I really enjoyed the game and sincerely hope you make a third installment.

Glitches I found:

4. Vrantheo

Vrantheo

"Find Next Beat" Member
    Seconded. Such great work of music truly deserves more than limited quality of MP3.
    How's the sound team doing at the moment? What's slowing them down from compiling the lossless set, since it doesn't really require much more effort (except for file size) than the lossy one?

5. Falk

Falk

http://exelica.dreamhosters.com/Sonic_After_the_Sequel_Original_Sound_Track_FLAC.zip

This one was a simple problem of actually managing to completely upload and then subsequently download/check since it was a whopping 2.5GB (24bit, unlike Before the Sequel's 16bit flac) The transfer apparently failed two times prior resulting in a bad archive, but that link -should- be a clean upload.

edit: Cypher Gate alone has pushed more than 1.6TB of traffic, holy cow. The game itself had more than 9000 downloads up to yesterday according to mediafire alone.

6. winterhell

winterhell

Super nice. And I was about to jokingly ask if you had a higher than CD quality :v:

7. gold lightning

gold lightning

If you get hit while having an elemental shield and while being in the element the shield corresponds to, you'll loose rings instead of losing the shield. This also happens with the flame shield while in lava (being able to lose that shield in that condition would be a very dick move in this game .) This is a gimmick that was carried over from BTS and is very much intentional.

8. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    So this happened.
    http://youtu.be/FmNxf180fiM

9. Vrantheo

Vrantheo

"Find Next Beat" Member
    It sure is painful dealing with large files. For such traffic maybe you should make a torrent instead.

Thanks for all the work!

10. Thank you for this wondrous gift, I shall always treasure it.

11. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Sonic Stadium Staffer, Gamnesia Writer Member
    Ottawa
    Haha! Something like that kinda happened to me in the Special Act, I think! Can't recall exactly, but it was definitely Redhot Ride!

12. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    It's a weather control station. It's a bit subtle, but you'll pick that up if you notice that when in the Moon Mansion Boss robot's display or whatever shows + - Angel Island crashing into the ocean and flooding the place, it immediately snows and Eggman towers over everything.   That, and the boss itself was all about changing the weather. To further prove this is Storm Station's purpose, in the stage there's a part where a panel switches from sun to lightning bolt. As you progress, the entire sky starts getting all stormy. This means Storm Station just changed the weather :p

[​IMG]

13. Dangit... I just downloaded it and it's a rar file. How do I open it?

14. winterhell

winterhell

http://www.7-zip.org/

15. ....You sure it's safe? I've gotten some pretty bad viruses downloading codec packs an' whatnot.

16. Falk

Falk

nothing on the internet is ever safe

17. winterhell

winterhell

The safest thing you can get is Winrar, but it is a 40-day trial after which it nags you.
    http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

18. Well, dang... I wanna play the game, but I just can't muster the balls to download anything that would make it possible for me to play it. Damn.

So after 40 days, I wouldn't be able to play Sonic ATS anymore?

19. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Yes, 7zip's safe. I've download this before and never had any problems with viruses etc.

20. winterhell

winterhell

You only need to extract the archive once. If you try that again after 40 days it'll just pop a window once that you have to close. don't worry about it.
    Install winrar from rarlab.com , any version would do. Right click on the rar file, extract to /Sonic ATS/. Done.