don't click here

Sonic Boom 2013

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skyler, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    http://blogs.sega.com/2013/06/20/announcing-sonic-boom-and-summer-of-sonic-2013/

2. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    who wants to share a bed with me

3. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Yes finally I can go this year, I live about 45 minutes away from St.Louis. Since I'm currently at work I'm going to request off that day, I can't wait to meet you guys in real life. ^_^ Can we get tickets now or are they not on sale yet? :v:

4. Barry the Nomad

Barry the Nomad

Site Staff
    Chicago
    SEGAbits
    Hide yo wife, hide yo kids.

Ravenfreak, how do you survive St. Louis? My sources tell me it is a place of death and danger.

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    St. Louis? Heck, at this rate maybe by 2015 they'll have it in the DC-Metro area so could actually even consider going. I shouldn't need to ask anyone attending to take good, preferrably direct-feed video of Lost World, right?

6. To put it bluntly: your sources are full of shit.

I might just go to this one; I live a state away but I don't think it'll ever get much closer!
    Was Sonic Boom 2012 good, or was it filled with "original the character do not steal"-type people?

7. Skaarg

Skaarg

I live in the middle of Iowa so distance is fine, but would probably only want to head down if I had some people to room with for the night so I don't have to spend so much on a hotel room by myself. (David we can cuddle? =P)

What all happened at last year's event? Are we just going to get drunk and play Sonic games? :v:

8. Really excited about this coming to the area, but how was ticket avalibility last year? Was it difficult or not that bad?

9. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    xD Yeah I live in ofallon mo, which is the complete opposite of east St. Louis. But not all of STL is bad. xP This is going to be in the nice part so don't worry. xP (Trust me it's not as bad as say Detroit...)

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    If things work out (I'm crunching the numbers and working logistics as we speak), I may be able to confirm that I will be bringing my talents from South Beach over to Rib City.

Don't know how much of the normal motley crew will join from years past, but should things work out, I will happily crash Boom in a way only Sonic Retro can. Because that's what heroes do. Crash parties.

As for anyone "pooping their pants" over the location, chances are? They're not frequent travelers. Every city has its dive-y parts and areas with high crime rates. Here's one very nice bit of street smarts: "Don't go looking for trouble, and trouble won't come looking for you." In other words, know where you are and try not to stand out. People will usually leave you alone. No one's going to gun you down randomly and the only reason you would likely be mugged is because you're a visible target--fat pockets, nice electronic equipment visible on you.

This particular area of St. Louis is pretty nice. It's a touristy part and is located in close proximity to a college. There are lots of bars and restaurants to see, as is about a 12 minute drive to the airport. If I told you that LACC and E3 were actually in much more unsavory parts of L.A. (very close to Compton. Area south of there passed USC is also quite rough), but that my friend and I walked the area from our hotel up to the LACC in 2011 without so much as an incident? Come on now.

Long story short, don't listen to the chickens crying the sky is falling because the event is in a big city that happens to have a crime rate. That's almost every major city in the U.S. Just have some street smarts and common sense and you'll be fine.

And those are the facts.

11. This, 100%. I'm not sure why anyone would assume a company hosting an event of any kind would hold it in an unsafe location, but the point is, St. Louis is actually pretty nice if you don't stray off.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    A location move is a good sign that perhaps one day there'll be an event held somewhere in New England or NY. Maybe then I can go

13. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Once again, it's out of my reach. ;(. Nothing good happens in Georgia...

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    As nice as New York is, I'd personally prefer Philly or Boston. Less for the cities (though they're both nice), more for the other attractions there. I'd love to go see a Sox game at Fenway or get into that Philly Cheesesteak debate (and maybe go see the Phillies... NL East sucks anyway.)

Note to self: do not wear Chicago team shirts in St. Louis.

>check Cardinals tickets around that time
    >they're in a series with my Cubs there

...why you do this? Now I definitely have to go to a game there.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh I would love Sonic Boom to come into Boston, hell I live 30 minutes outside the city, I just said NY to be realistic.

16. Kampfer

Kampfer

As an 15 year STL resident I can confirm STL is a nice town, even if its not for me. Strangely enough I'm moving around the time of this, so whether or not I can go depends how neck deep I am with getting my crap together before going to Chicago.

Yeah, Busch Stadium is definitely worth it if you have the time. My goal is to go to at least one more game before I move. But for those of next to no money, also consider checking out all the free museums and the free zoo in Forest Park. Despite being free, they are all high quality. There is a lot you can do in STL on a tight budget.

17. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Shit, does this mean I actually have to meet you guys now? =P It's pretty cool they're having it here, though I dunno if I'll find time to go. What do you do at these sort of things, anyway?

I will also state that St. Louis is nice, but you have to watch out for certain bad areas of downtown. Mostly the north side. I would also suggest checking out:

- The zoo (it's free, but you have to pay for parking)
    - Slackers (local retro gaming store chain; there's two V-Stock stores as well)
    - Any place that serves toasted ravioli.

18. I'm very tempted actually. Live out in AZ but it'd be a blast to fly out to the midwest-- never been. Plus I wonder if we'll get some Sonic 2 mobile news-- hopefully by August we would have already received some information on it :v:

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Well, this DOES mean that Retro will have to organize another meetup, ideally something where potential under-21s can join us. The after parties are more for shameless drinking.

Can't let SoS and the Retro Barmeet there out do us. :v:

20. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I... may actually be able to go to this one, but only if other plans fall through.