don't click here

Sonic Boom

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jun 15, 2013.

1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Does this mean we'll have a bunch of obese 25 year old men with horrible facial hair now complement how great a Sonic show is because "the animation is nice and the writing is good" now too?

Not like it's much of a departure from the usual complaining about a cartoon blue hedgehog. More self-writing humor for the few sane of us.

2. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Replace animation with art and that is the Archie fanbase as it currently exists.

3. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Okay. That's cool. Not everything appeals to everyone. I don't like plenty of things that people obsess over, like JRPGs and Kingdom Hearts. Game of Thrones would never interest me. I can't stand seafood. But these interests and preferences don't make me any better or worse of a person than anyone else, and you don't have to come across so callously. With that said, I do realize the MLP community is (much like lots of geek cliques) full of people who tend to lack in social skills. I've had people insult my intelligence for not "getting" Kingdom Hearts, as I'm sure you've had MLP shoved down your throat by people who really should know better than to keep pressing the issue.

As an obese 25-year old man with horrible facial hair who thinks MLP:FiM is one of the best shows on the air... yeah, let's hope so.

But seriously, new Sonic cartoon? I'm on board. More exposure and popularity for the brand can only lead to more money being pumped into game-making. And if they can get some of the tremendously talented people working on MLP on board as well, then so much the better. I'm almost sure it'll be CGI in this day and age, and I really wonder if they'll be able to get the current voice cast, Roger in particular, to commit to a series like that. Honestly, I'd probably take some storyline elements from the last few years of the Archie comics. Maybe keep out Knothole and the SatAM stuff, since that's a TON of lore to take in. But the comic's had some phenomenal writing ever since they eschewed Penders.

If they're going for more slapstick, hm. I guess what I'd do in that case is take some elements of Sonic Colors and the Powerpuff Girls: make it a piece that doesn't take itself TOO seriously, even when it is, full of satirical plots and fourth-wall breaking moments. That is, comedy through character rather than through LOL EGGMAN GOT AN EGG DROPPED ON HIS HEAD LOLOLOL.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Can we make it so this isn't still being aired 10+ years after it has finished?

5. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    What's wrong with syndication?

6. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    MLP's animation is too stiff, like Foster's Home. And I love Foster's, but I can't help watching and thinking there are flash animations on Newgrounds that are more lively.

7. Paradigm

Paradigm

Primrose Hill
    An original story entitled "Obscured into Hubris"
    As much as I respect people's opinions on MLP's animation, I personally believe it would not fit Sonic at all.

8. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Sounds interesting enough to at least watch the first episode. Let's see how this goes.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Dude wrote like, two episodes. Chill your fanny, Fanny.

10. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    He is judging it off of one. How is that going to make a difference? Haters gonna hate.

11. I never said anything about the art style. I just enjoy the show, and I have nothing against those episodes so I don't see why I won't like this.

That describes a lot of fanbases, and I wouldn't say it's exclusive to the Archie section of this fandom. Can't say I think too highly of this one or the MLP:FiM fandoms either.

But I won't judge this based on the type of fans I expect it to have. I just hope it'll be a decently entertaining show that isn't butt-ugly.

12. This this this, a thousand times this. No cartoon has been able to be close to the games in style as 2D animation, but a CGI cartoon could be absolutely incredible. Night of the Werehog proved it's possible.

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I would expect CG as well, except for I have yet to see a CG TV show that looks even remotely passable. The lighting and animation is almost always lacking.

If we were going for hand-drawn 2D style, I would say Gravity Falls has a good style to emulate... though my impossible dream is that they get something like the Last Airbender/Korra team working on this.

Also, here's hoping they go for an OVA/Adventures of Sonic and Tails roadtrip style show rather than SatAM. If we're being honest, I think a set-up like the OVA (Sonic and Tails have an established home, but go on globe-trotting adventures) would suit a Sonic show best, since it was built as two episodes of a TV show anyway. As long as they don't use an established world, but build a new one from scratch to suit the show rather than force elements from the existing shows and media that will bog it down.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    A CG show in the sort of style of Night of the Werehog would be absolutely amazing, yes. We've had several drawn shows, let's give CG a shot.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Night of the Werehog was very nicely done and an example to follow but, unless the same studio is doing this, I really wouldn't expect that level of quality for a TV show...

I mean, if this is indeed going to be CG based, I'd expect its quality to be on par with the Road Runner shorts from The Looney Tunes Show, rather than the theatrical CG Road Runner shorts. =|

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    If it's CG, I'm certain that the animation quality really won't be as good as the animation in Night of the Werehog. They'd have to throw a lot of money at this show to do that.

17. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Yeah, the budget for a TV show wouldn't allow for theatrical quality 3D, but I think cartoons like Jimmy Neutron does show that it can work with decent enough detail and lighting, with a reasonable frame rate to boot. (It really annoys me to see 3D animated cartoons running at a dirt slow 15FPS, and it's even worse for action scenes. If I ever get back to screwing around with stop-motion stuff, I'm never working with that frame-rate, not again.)

Although if they take the vectored route, I'd be okay with that too. MLP started out a little stiff, but from the few clips I've seen of later seasons, now it's as lively as you can get, and a great example of what can be done with vector animation, as opposed to the equivalent of animated paper dolls, like with 6teen, or God-forbid, Johny Test. (6teen wasn't that bad of a show, but I honestly wouldn't want to see that repeated elsewhere.) So yeah, I could see that working for Sonic too, as there's a good chance we'd never see it go the traditional route for animation.

And for some reason, this topic is making me want to watch Freakazoid episodes again.

18. Nado The Rabbit

Nado The Rabbit

Dork Next Door Member
    Canada
    I'm currently working on my Sonic fanfiction, Carnation.
    This can either be very good or a complete flop, but I'll make my judgments after we have some more information.

Although I generally prefer 2D animation, I wouldn't mind CG. I'd just hope that with the budget they probably have, that they manage to make the animations look good. I don't know if they's have enough to use the Night Of The Werehog graphics for an entire series.

It's going to be a comedy? I think that's fine; I'm just hoping that it takes itself a little more seriously than AoStH did. I want the jokes to be cleverly written, but when the show is a little more intense, we can believe it. I'm hoping the mood is just sort of in between light-hearted and dark; with some flow.

It'd be great if we have the same voice actors from the games. The only characters who's voices I'm not a fan of are- you guessed it- Shadow and Amy. But Amy's voice has gotten better, so who knows how it could be by the time this gets a release. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles' current VAs are my favourites they've had, so I'm hoping they get the roles. Come to think of it, Roger Craig Smith was in Wreck-It Ralph, so I think it's possible he could make a return for this.

I believe this could have potential, let's just hope the right decisions are made. Maybe I could catch this on TV. Please air in Canada!

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Unless they gave this cartoon quite a budget so it could look close to the quality shown in Night of the Werehog, I prefer if the next Sonic cartoon had 2D animation. Regardless of animation style, I'm not too excited about this cartoon. I'd like to see a new Sonic cartoon come out with ongoing plots and that sounds unlikely with the format they seem to be going for. But hey, maybe it'll turn out to be the best Sonic cartoon yet. That would be great.

20. Samurai Echidna

Samurai Echidna

Animation of preference? None. As Kail alluded to, a Sonic cartoon should do its best to capture the same kind of spectacle and wonder you experience when you play the games. Having a cartoon where Sonic feels like taking a nap most of the time, or something as useless as Teen Titans Go!, would be a complete waste of time and money spent.

Animation and writing staff? I could almost care less about who is attached to it. Sure, it'd be great if we got plenty of veterans of great cartoons to animate and write it, however... All I want is show with good, creative writing like we saw in Sonic Colors and perhaps Generations while still taking some creative ideas from the many Sonic games that came before; but just enough to give us the Sonic show that we deserve. And I really hope they tap into the well of Sega Sonic characters well all ready have and play off them. I'm done seeing original and comic-book characters in my Sonic cartoons. They had their day, and that time is over.

It's been a while since I've ever been able to look at a Sonic cartoon and say "That's the Sonic I know and remember from the games." At best, of all the titles we've seen, I can only point to less than half of them and say they are the better cartoons.
    So, for now, any new Sonic cartoons or TV shows is good news. But there is no point if it doesn't learn from and honor the source material, which I am hoping is the games this time around.