don't click here

Sonic ATS - Released!

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by LakeFeperd, Jan 5, 2012.

1. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Sonic Stadium Staffer, Gamnesia Writer Member
    Ottawa
    Story Mode means no Special Stages. Classic Mode means win the Emeralds in Special Stages, which you can access by clearing an Act with 30 rings.

2. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    ...Well!

3. Falk

Falk

1) Make sure you're playing Classic and not Story
    2) 30 rings at the end of act/goalpost

Also since it appears our amazingly top-secret-till-now last special stage remix fell flat on its face in terms of hilarity factor, the special stages are all remixes of existing sonic music. The 7th one is special

edit: I hate you all

4. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Ottawa
    So special, you could practically feel it!

edit: <3

5. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    Guys, I'll be uploading a new build soon that fixes:
    PPZ's boss (finally! thanks MegaGwolf)
    FFZ's looping
    Overall Typos
    SStZ's after boss ctuscene skipping in story mode

give a welcome fo V1.1

oh, and you can copy your save from the current to the new one just fine.

6. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Up to moon mansion while streaming. Absolutely love it, as do the people watching.

7. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    New build is up: https://sites.google.com/site/sonicbtsbooth/
    fixes pretty much everything major reported so far.

8. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Ottawa
    Perfect! Cookin' up the TSS post now. Took lots of pretty pictures.

9. Kampfer

Kampfer

And that did fix both the cut scenes issue and the Foliage Forest Looping. Thanks for keeping me up entirely too late tonight. :v:

10. Retroman

Retroman

OMG this is amazing! <3

AWESOME!

11. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

The music from the game resembles so many other games and places (for me), including Donkey Kong Country 2 - Stickerbrush Symphony (Technology Tree), S Factor Sonia and Silver (Moon Mansion), Sonic Adventure 2 - Death Chamber (Redhot Ride), Sonic Before the Sequel and Sonic Heroes - Seaside Hill (First Zone), The Matrix (Redhot Ride Act 2), Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Lava Reef (Redhot Ride Act 2), and more... oh wow, this can't be a coincidence.

By the way, here is a strange bug in Redhot Ride I noticed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nTjsVIxoac&feature=youtu.be

12. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Just finished up two playthroughs in six hours on stream. Had a fucking blast. To everyone involved - Absolutely fan fucking tastic job.

By the way.. Found a little something interesting in the final level.. Hmmmmm..

13. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Ottawa
    BIG LONG RELEASE POST SMACKDAB ON THE SONIC STADIUM'S FRONT PAGE I DID NOT SLEEP YOU'RE WELCOME

14. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

Sorry Lake, but I found the algorithm used in the game, and was able to get into the Debug Mode. Video coming soon (SPOILERS!!).

Also, I'm planning to extract all the music.

15. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Beat it in one playthrough (with all 7 emeralds, I'm glad) last night.
    I've had a goddamn blast like I rarely do, such a major step up over BTS and the OST it's off the hoozle! Congratulations to all the team, LakeFeperd, you truly are the blessing of the Sonic fangame community!

Some little glitches I've noted besides those that got reported, my apologies if they actually already been mentionned:
    * sometimes after clearing the act, the screen would scroll up endlessly. I'm not sure if intentional or not.
    * sometimes while having a shield, if you get damaged, you lose your rings but not your shield.
    * I started Sugar Splash act 1, didn't move for about 8 minutes (to listen to the music), I just tried to move Sonic but the camera wouldn't move with Sonic. going to the left would result in a death.
    * Still in Sugar Splash act 1, I saw a bubble outside of the water.

And again, a round of applause to you guys! :)

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Another great release , and so soon to boot! Must be nice to have all the game engine programing out of the way to be able to concentrate on all these kick ass levels.
    Keep up the good work ! also will there be another game in the series or will there be a new series ?

17. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    New version mirror'd; http://www.hapisan.com/Sonic%20After%20the%20Sequel%20V1.1.rar

18. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

Hey so check this shit out

I actually played this coupla hours ago. It's terrible.

Awful control, apparently took two patches on the day of its release to fix it, to the point where the awful clip art cutscenes actually got in the way of the game's progress. Nobody fuckin caught that before release? You gotta be kidding me. It didn't take long to get there either, but when you play Sonic ATS, seconds feel like minutes. It feels like those same minutes over and over again, actually - how many goddamn acts in a row do I gotta play where I see some variation of a big drop or slope followed by boring left and right jumping with almost no enemies or obstacles or challenges in the way? That's the mark of any bad platformer. A double jump short of feeling like those licensed platformers everyone laughs at, but hey that's what the shields are for. But the bubble shield doesn't bounce and the spike shield is useless. Far out! The graphics were nice but cluttery, and the music was way better than it had any right to be for a game like this. The only reason why is because Falk needed something to put on his portfolio because he's not a loser who wasted his time programming a broken Sonic game with a fucking Kirby power in it. What in the hell was that about? Combine everything I just wrote with shitty gimmicks, platforming that poses no challenge whatsoever except for working against the fat slippery control of Sonic and your patience because it feels like busywork, and like 2/3 of the bosses DIDN'T EVEN FUCKING MOVE, man!

And there's like NINE ZONES of this shit. That's 24-27-I don't remember acts of jumping five times, doing jackshit as I go barreling down a hill, then attempt to work with what the Sonic World engine gave me to jump ten times for the next big drop that accomplishes absolutely nothing. Bad enemy and ring placement, too. I'm flabbergasted how the game has this many issues anyway since I recently heard that this shit was done as early as Before the Sequel's album being released whenever it was, or it was at least 75% done. Competent skill wasted.

Don't praise this game just because it got done. Sonic Classic showed that once was enough for that kind of pat-on-the-back bullshit.

19. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Protip, Ross, if you want to give constructive criticism, try not to be an asshole about it. Just saying.

Hey, Lake, care to explain either of these? :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But, at any rate, while the game wasn't perfect by any stretch, I think it was pretty good. The music was fantastic, and while the level design had some hiccups here and there, it was pretty decent at worst. The Kirby power in Cyan City (and hidden elsewhere) was awesome, as was the boss of Parhelion Park (and the cutscene afterwards is just adorable). Haven't caught any glitches in the new version just yet. Gonna go try a classic mode run-through later, methinks.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I'll echo what The Shad said in his stream a few hours ago: even with a few bugs (what's a Sonic game without them? :v: ), this game is a roaring blast to play through. I've had a ton of fun and while I can't use my Saturn pad for maximum effect, this game played really well with my PS3 pad. It felt right, like what Sonic should have naturally evolved into 2D-wise if Sega wasn't so rabid about 3D being a thing in the mid-90s.

It could still use a little more work up to tighten up some of the strange bugs here and there (Shad encountered a particularly fun one when he triggered Super Sonic within "Egg Doughnut's" boss stage, which really screwed up the boss and the final boss), but that will come with time. Oh, you'll also want to fix the control text on the menu. You have both Spin Dash and Peelout written as being trigger by "button+v" :v:

I love the music. Some will say "it's not Sonic", but it has a nice vibe to it and brings its own style which is what the Sonic series, musically, tend to be about. Sonic 3 was nothing like Sonic 1 and 2, and even it was different from Sonic and Knuckles, which went for less hip hop and dance sounding tracks (in before Michael Jackson.) That, and I love catching all the little nods to other songs that sneaked in from the series.

Fantastic work, all of you. You should be proud with setting the bar as far as wholly original fan-games go with Sonic. There's a quote for your marketing. :v:

Also, thanks to Shad, we saw that little cameo. That's all I'll say. Nice one.