don't click here

Existing rips of the Sonic the Hedgehog OVA?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Paradigm, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Paradigm

Paradigm

Primrose Hill
    An original story entitled "Obscured into Hubris"
    I've been trying to find any trace of a complete rip of the soundtrack to the Sonic OVA. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to exist save for a decent rip of Land of Darkness. Has anyone on the Sonic Retro community done a proper rip? Would it be possible to condone and proceed with a rip?

2. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I'd be extremely interested in having the soundtrack to the OVA too - I especially love the music/beat in the scene where Sonic & Tails prepare the Tornado for launch, and also the music with the owl travelling in his flying contraption (the same music during the "Hyper Metal Sonic" fight I think - and I forgot where else) :specialed:

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    It's a widely known lack in community knowledge- there's no rips of the OST. The best you can find are reconstructions from the film. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but no OST was even released, was it?

4. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    It might be feasible to dummy out the voices a bit, but it would probably sound like crap, especially considering the amount of time it would take to do so. It would be easier to remake the songs using the original synths and samples.

5. Paradigm

Paradigm

Primrose Hill
    Boy, that's a bummer. Would it be too far fetched to get any info on what synths were used for the film?

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    No OST was ever released. I remember hearing that an OST was going to be made but since the OVA did poorly it was decided not to.

7. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Look a like was somehow released though.

8. Paradigm

Paradigm

Primrose Hill
    This was because it was a stand-alone track that had no interruptions (voice clips, sound effects, etc.). Then again, maybe it was popular enough to get its own release.

9. Look-a-like was not released. It was poorly reconstructed by fans. I'd love to have this OST though.

I know the ADR director for the english dub, but that was back at Monster Island Studios, and that company has been burned to the ground three times now. There's no way the recordings still exist.

10. Paradigm

Paradigm

Primrose Hill
    I thought it was. WAVE MASTER released it on the 'True Colors' compilation (albeit a shorter version, but still official).

11. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I could see if my composer is willing to recreate Land of Darkness / Land of the Sky in her spare time. She often takes side requests from me since we're good at collaborating on things; We would just need a fairly accurate MIDI instrumentation first.

12. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    South Island theme would be pretty interesting too...

13. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    ...Why would she need a MIDI file first? Making a MIDI file IS recreating it. Unless you mean just taking a MIDI file and applying wave samples to it, which is just... amateur stuff that everyone does when they first start out.

That said, I should theoretically have a South Island (er, that sax piece when the Owl's flying in the clouds) MIDI I did sequence/recreate years ago. Fairly complete, just never got around to adding the cymbal percussion. I'll try to remember to go diggin' around for it.

14. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    No, there's no OST. Yes, Look Alike was released on the True Colors CD. Also there are already MIDI versions of the soundtrack that have been online for years, including the South Island theme.

15. Paradigm

Paradigm

Primrose Hill
    Not to sound disrespectful, but MIDI tracks don't quite add up to something as clean sounding (if you will) as a high quality recreated soundtrack or a direct (but flawed) rip from the film.

16. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    With a proper sequencer/composition synth you can take a MIDI file, do the proper programming, and spit out something that sounds very much like a real song. It's just a preprogrammed series of notes that are interpreted by an application, in that case, the hardware of a synthesizer.

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Neither MIDI currently online is accurate anyway (South Island Theme and Land of Darkness theme) since they're missing key instruments anyway or blatantly ignore particular notes.

But yes, this is a recurring topic throughout the years, but one where people never really get the initiative to actually do something about it, and I don't mean pander to Sega or whoever to release the soundtrack. I very much doubt the songs exist cleanly and officially at this point. Best bet is for fans, especially those good with MIDI composition and possibly something like Fruity Loops to take a crack as close to a 1:1 organization of the soudtrack.

All I can say is that the OVA DVD release does have a generic theme from the movie in clear quality for many of the menus. But as Trunks pointed out, the company that did them has been burned down so many times that it likely doesn't exist there anymore either.

18. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Now that the team of musicians behind Sonic After The Sequel has finished the soundtrack, perhaps one of them would be up for attempting to do this? I'm not sure if mine has the free time to be able to tackle it herself.

19. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    I found my own sequence of the South Island theme. I need to find an old memory card reader I should have lying around here somewhere, then I can at least get it posted online (or cleaned up a tad if need be). I'll work on doing that tomorrow.

20. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

You mean this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NPKcxUXPmU

I don't quite remember this full version being in the film itself. Are you absolutely sure? :/