don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Yeah I usually do that as well in MZ for whatever reason. I laughed when I first discovered that you could spin to move the block though... I also just found this out not too long ago, maybe a year or so ago? I accidentally pressed down and lo and behold he was rolling and pushing the block. xD

2. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

There's another one which you can do well in Spring Yard Zone, if you duck and spin in to a wall (better on a slope) and then turn the other way, Sonic will walk like he's pushing something. I do it all the time, I find it hilarious.

I made a video for you gais :v:

Also, Sonic 1 has the ability to just press the opposite way you're facing and let Sonic skid for as long as it takes for him to run out of momentum. You can hit the backwards red spring in Green Hill Zone Act 3 and let Sonic do his skidding animation across the landscape and even through a loop! He will spin round and skid in mid air!

3. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.

I've known about this forever. It's worth noting that it's slower than merely pushing. In Sonic 1 and 2, there's seemingly no reason for this. In Sonic3K, spin-dash gives you some protection versus ghosts when compared to the slightly-faster push. Holy hell, that sounds dangerously close to some slight gameplay balancing there!

4. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I've noticed that as well a few times back in the day, I also got a kick out of that bug. Sonic 1 has quite a few animation related errors. :v: However my favorite bug is probably the walking animation glitch while jumping next to a rock in GHZ.

5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I always do that in Marble Zone Act 1 as I'm getting the shield to the left of the first starpost.

That's cool about the spin push, one more thing I never knew.

6. Espyo

Espyo

Portugal, Porto, some street
    A Pikmin fan engine - Pikifen (https://pikminfanon.com/Pikifen)
    Every single time.

I think that's not just an animation bug, however. I could swear that once (not necessarily on GHZ), I used that walk-jump near an enemy, and got hit. Sonic really jumps without rolling, instead of the game just showing the wrong frames. ...There's no way this was intended, is there?

7. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I'm pretty sure that's because whether he gets hit or not is decided by what frame he's using. Like it checks for the rolling/jumping animation and if not, you get it. The fact it's only in select situations pretty much secures it's "bug" status.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think that bug happened whenever Sonic jumped while an elevated object was positioned right next to him, or something similar.

9. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Makes sense, it always happened to me while block riding in Marble Zone.

10. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Only on the first block, so what makes the others different?

11. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Well, the block in question is the one that you're pushing to the left and then it drops, and you continue pushing left without jumping to walk onto the block. For the other blocks, you land on them from jumping.

It's not just that though, because there's a rock somewhere in GHZ that you can do the same thing with, I forget the exact location but the ground slightly slopes down just to the right of the rock (from the perspective of walking to the left, so the rock is in a sort of "dip"). This one is repeatable - you can stand there and jump, and each time it should jump with the walking animation. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's a sprite object and perhaps the vertical position of said object? I've never seen it work with background tiles.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

^

GHZ2, is happens just to the side of the rock with the yellow spring after the first bridge. I think it also happens near the switch and ring monitor in the endless loop at the start of LZ3.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It always happens here, as well:
    [​IMG]

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    And I figure it's the part everyone's talking about, but that part right after with the pushblock also does it. Which is annoying because it just makes it harder to hit that shield in the right-hand corner a little above it.

15. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, it's the bug that's fixed by the tutorial SCHG_How-to:Fix_the_Walk-Jump_Bug_in_Sonic_1 (and also by REV01). Essentially the player animation always gets set to walking when moving next to a solid object (specifically an object, not terrain), for reasons I have never fully understood - the tutorial makes a vague reference to "animation bugs" if the code is completely removed, but I've never tried it myself to see what that entails. I suspect it relates to invoking the pushing animation correctly, but that is merely my attempt at psychic debugging rather than anything grounded in fact. The fix here and in the later revisions and games simply skips this animation reset if the player is in the rolling animation at this point

Although the most noticable issue is fixed as far back as S1 REV01, unpleasant effects of the same code occur all the way into S&K - if you've ever finished an act right next to a monitor or part of the egg prison, you'll notice that you go into walk animation instead of the victory pose for exactly the same reason.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This comic called "Not Enough Rings" (Which is an awesome little Sonic comic) has started a kickstarter for a published copy of the book. Personally I'm considering donating, I'd love to get a printed copy of that series.

That and you can get this awesome shirt

[​IMG]

17. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Dat. Fucking. T-shirt. D=

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Please forgive my ignorance, but does sticking the word "parody" somewhere in your fan art automatically let you monetize on other people's properties without a license?

EDIT: ...Also, shouldn't this have a topic of its own?

19. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    And I'm not happy that her only response to doing Sonic CD is "CLAM IT". C'mon, either do it or state why you won't; it's pretty much of the same echelon as the other Genesis games.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Well she got her funding. No sense bitching about it.