don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    What does the JP manual say since that would be the more accurate one?

And BTW that line of code is haliarious. Sonic Team are sneaky bastards...

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I have no clue, I only have the notes after studying this very wiki and no one's translated it on here.

Anyone wanna try? I'd love to have the more accurate half of the plot to work with as well.

3. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    http://jul.rustedlogic.net/thread.php?pid=422575#422575 Ugh, looks like our Sonic Spinball prototype ROM is a bad dump :| (I'm sure because LocalH posted this that it is old news, bu the information does not seem to have reached ROM sets yet. And yes I know the dump may seem cool because of what it has, but if we can get the originals of both that would be nice too...)

4. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I thought that at first until I read that "Knuckles quickly gathers them before everyone else and hides them in the special zones." This could mean they have to travel the globe to reach the special zone entrances, or that the cast is on an island and can access the special zones from there.

5. Pengi

Pengi

Here's the Japanese version: http://www.sonic-jam.org/sisghzs:gg-sonictails2-t1

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Oh wow, thank you greatly for this. I'll be using this to refine the stories in my project.

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    The platforms that pop out in WFZ have an unused frame that I've never seen mentioned before:

[​IMG]

The mappings have $4 frames but the animation script never uses frame $4.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Nothing too remarkable but I ran into another Sonic Chaos prototype screenshot

[​IMG]

this is from Select Round, an official newseletter from France

9. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I found something I never knew about before. In MTZ 3, if you happen to get stuck behind this tube, then they gave you a way to kill yourself so you can start over:

[​IMG] -> [​IMG] -> [​IMG]

I thought it was kinda neat that they had thought of doing that. I've also seen some lava markers in the middle of the ground/walls at some places, I guess leftover from old layouts.

Edit: Also, I had no idea MTZ has two collision planes, one is completely non-solid so they can just use the plane switch object to let Sonic fall through the ground at some places. (for some reason I don't see these objects in SonED2, so maybe they are loaded separately from the other objects or something..)

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Very interesting! I've always thought there was something odd about those platforms, like they blended too much with the background or something, and now it turns out that they were actually intended to stand out much better. Man, that level was even more rushed than we thought!

So there's something to consider for the upcoming port, I guess?

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Another thing, this balancing frame for Sonic seems to be "unused":

[​IMG]

It IS in one of his balancing animation scripts, but due to the way the game is coded, that animation never seems to be displayed.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Where would that be displayed though? Doesn't seem to fit any of the other animations

13. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    What, translate the Sonic Chaos manual? I was about to offer to do so, but I found this on the wiki. Is that good enough, or is there a specific part you need translated?

Ignore this, I'm an idiot. You meant Triple Trouble, so how's this?

14. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    According to the animation script, it would be used at the start of this animation:

[​IMG]

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I know I've read about that frame in the past, but I'm not 100% sure of what now... I thought it was the very first frame of the "backwards balancing" animation, shown only for one frame.

EDIT: Turns out it is indeed used for the "extremely on the edge" animation, but only if you're facing the other way!

16. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Huh, I've tried everything and never got it to show up in-game. :/

17. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    It happens if Sonic's in the "extreme" balancing animation, flailing his arms, and you press the D-pad in the opposite direction of the ledge briefly so that he turns around but is still near enough to the edge to be in that animation. Since the "extreme" balancing animation only faces one way, the game forces Sonic to turn back around when you let go of the button, and this is a "tweener" frame when he turns around.

It only lasts one frame, and can't really be seen except for frame advance.

[​IMG]

18. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Hey guys, I found a weird glitch whilst playing Sonic 3. I am assuming that people know about it as we know about every other glitch in existence, but I hadn't seen or encountered it before. Feel free to shoot me down:

SUPER EDIT: DAMN YOU RETRO BASTARDS!
    http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3_bug_list#Act_2_boss_causes_Super_Sonic_to_revert_to_normal_Sonic.E2.80.99s_sprites

Oh well, Live & Learn :v:

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Today I'm going to teach you about an ability of Classic Sonic that very few people may know about: the Spin Push.

What is this about? It's an actual feature* of the Spin Attack!

• First find a block that can be pushed by Sonic.
    • Walk towards it.
    • Curl into a ball before he reaches it.
    • Presto, Sonic will keep automatically spin-pushing the block, leaving you some precious time to grab some Doritos.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This could also be done in Sonic 2 in a different scenario, in which case it actually enhanced the flow of the scene:

If finally evolved in Sonic 3 & Knuckles as a feature* of the Spin Dash, so you just had to stand next to the pushable block and do your thing:
    You then had to hold Down, though... but as useless as it was, it still looked cool. =P

And that's it for today's class. :specialed:

*might be a bug, but it's a "good" one

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I always do that on the first lock of Marble Zone ^ :v:

Block* Seeing as no matter what skin I'm using I can't seem to edit my posts today. ¬_¬