don't click here

Sonic 3 Complete

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tiddles, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Jeffery Mewtamer

Jeffery Mewtamer

Blind Bookworm Member
    ^I think Rule of Cool is more than enough to justify having tails running on air with his tails spinning like the propeller of a hovercraft during Doomsday.

Anyways, I have no suggestions, and this another in the huge pile of "games I want to play, but cannot on account of recovering from a detached retina". That said, this will probably be the first hack I play once my vision recovers enough for me to play games again.

2. Wait, which hack has Tails in Doomsday?

3. dsrb

dsrb

KingofHarts named ColinC10, so from my knowledge of his previous hacks, logic suggests Sonic 3 & Knuckles: The Challenges as the only suitable candidate.

4. Can see your point.
    Just had a little play around with the tracks in an audio editor. I notice Angel Island's had its tempo upped slightly for the new mix, maybe putting that back to the way it was and even slowing down the opening of the credits theme slightly would help. Also maybe slow down sky sanctuary a little if necessary, would help its tempo fit better with the final sonic 3 victory theme anyway.

All just suggestions of course, I have no idea how flexible its even possible to be when editing these themes. Though I'd imagine, not very.

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Hmm... He gets his jollies off on spinning his tails, perhaps?

6. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    The deficit on that track is about a second, which is hard to cover by changing the tempo without making things very noticable. Likewise adding the longer end to Sky Sanctuary from the S&K mix is... well, either too much or not enough, I forget now. The AIZ tempo should hopefully be the same as the 0517 credits, I didn't change it deliberately.

S3K: The Challenges has Tails in the Tornado in Doomsday at the end. It's very cool, but I have no intention to go around ripping off bits of that. :)

7. iLike80sRock

iLike80sRock

Perhaps Sonic is supposed to spend a whole day wandering around the icy caves, entering in the morning and getting lost?

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I remember at one point it was mentioned that you might put this on a cartridge so I wiped up some box art sketches for shits and gigs (spoiled due to potentially large size)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tried to draw the Sonic characters as close to the Sonic 3 art as possible.

9. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Okay, now THAT is lovely. I especially like the catchphrase, if anything because I got the reference and it made me giggle.

10. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Though you aren't changing Tails' Doomsday, are you considering doing a separate intro scene for Tails, Tiddles? He is the only playable character without some sort of intro cut-scene...

11. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    He's got one already.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That catchphrase always came to mind when I envisioned anything related to this project. I'm going to give this project a go on the side once I get photoshop back on my computer in a couple of days (Just waiting for Adobe to ship the thing).

I would love if this thing was on a cartridge, it would be popped into my genesis all the time.

13. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I don't even have a Genesis... I would buy this fucking cartridge. Encase it in a glass display and treasure it forever. THIS and Sonic Classic Heroes. These two hacks give the classics all they justice they need. (Outside of Taxman's new endeavors.)

14. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    While I am working with a couple of people on "official" boxart (as much as this project can ever make such a claim), I am happy to see alternatives. I like the design there, and I'll be interested to see it developed. :)

15. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Sorry, I didn't see it in the updates, and I just got the chance to play the newest build today.

I really love this hack! Being able to customize what music plays where is pretty neat feature; hearing the Sonic 1/2 Result was both extremely surreal and awesome. Can't wait to properly run through this game.

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Haven't seen this posted yet...

[​IMG]

This is the one spot I could find where a non-Super sprite seemed to sneak through.

EDIT: And then immediately afterward, this happened when I flash-jumped up to the ledge:

[​IMG]

WHERE DID THAT ROCK COME FROM!?

17. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    You'd have to have read the Wiki, or found the update log from the first release of 2011, since that's when it turned up. :)

Came up a couple of pages back IIRC. You only see this animation for these few seconds, and I believe it is indeed the last one with no update... which is not ideal, but hopefully not too jarring.

Mmm, yet another one in the "spindash/hyper dash/flame dash screen lag ruins everything" pot. Between occurrences, it's probably the most-reported original game bug this release, which probably means I should try to do something about it eventually.

18. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Sorry about never getting around to making SMPS versions of the PC themes. Valleybell did a much better job than I could have anyway.

I've got a couple requests that I hope aren't outlandish or intensive like some other suggestions currently floating around.

I was playing co-op on real hardware (just vanilla S3K) with a friend yesterday, and I was playing as Tails. I found it rather frustrating how co-op was set up, Tails seems to accelerate at half the rate when the player controls him, and the screen being centered only on Sonic made that problem worse.

I was wondering if an option to play as Tails without gimped movement in co-op could be added. This one might be more intensive to implement, but I think an optional Chaotix style camera would be great for co-op, where the camera centers itself between the two players. Of course, when Tails rolls off (or gets too close the the edge of) the screen, the camera should recenter on Sonic. No combi-system though, for obvious reasons (too much work and not fitting for S3).

This one doesn't really matter, but could the bombing sequence before the Act 2 boss in AIZ scroll at 6 pixels per frame rather than 3? The length of the runway should be doubled, and the player should be moved 3 pixels forward every frame without actually affecting the physics to keep the same gameplay. It just doesn't look right moving so slow, especially when it jumps to twice the speed when the sequence is over.

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

While I'm not sure about it being in this hack in particular, I would actually like to see ANY project that makes this sort of option with the camera (in fact I feel it has more potential in SADX).

20. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Tails' co-op movement is correct, it's the AI version that's wrong - his AI cheats and moves him a bit further than he should naturally be able to go sometimes. You can see this particularly clearly when he starts wandering around while charging a spindash - you just can't do that through the controls, it's the AI bypassing the normal object handling.

I do think it would be a nice idea, but my gut feeling is that it's a lot of work for something that probably wouldn't work very well - in a game that moves this quickly, trying to track a second object (which is usually acting like it's high on something) seems like it's asking for trouble, particularly given that a lot of the bugs getting reported this release are due to issues with the existing cases in S3K where the camera decides to do something "clever".

The level events are pretty tightly bound to the idea of the camera following the primary player. That's not unfixable, but doing the SCD93 camera was already hard work - you'd just end up dying in AIZ to begin with because the extra bias would trigger an event that raised the bottom boundary, for instance; the camera would jump around during all the running intros; and it still confuses the spotty special stage ring spawning code (the last HCZ1 ring is likely to be missing if you come from above it in SCD93 mode, unless you go away and back again). I like not to be introducing bugs, and it's frustrating to have had relatively many for S3C in some of the new features. Getting there, though, hopefully...

Seems like it'd be harder to get out of trouble if you got into it - granted that's not all that likely in the first place, but watching the inexperienced try to play this has given me some perspective! The jump in speed at the end isn't actually all that big if you just run into that as fast as you can, without using a dash move or super state to get any faster - it looks like to me as if it has as much to do with the camera unlock being a bit lumpy as the base speed changing. (The SCD93 camera possibly actually does a better job in that position now, because it used to do such a bad one that I had to do something about it!)