don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm not feeling that way, personally. They've developed all new visual and gameplay styles for the game. The graphics, while simpler than we're used to, look absolutely gorgeous. My guess would be that instead of building miles and miles of pretty but pointless background geometry and wasting processing power and money on the most technically impressive graphics as has been the norm, they're instead now focusing on visuals that are easier to created so that they can spend more time improving the gameplay. It's a trade off that doesn't feel like a trade off considering the new style looks so good.

2. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I haven't played the gameboy advance games yet (I hope they get released in the virtual console 3DS someday)..

actually I prefer 60fps than 1080p, but if we get both, that will be really nice..

3. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    With a fast game like Sonic, framerate is a good deal more valuable than resolution. It probably won't matter quite as much as in Generations, because they're ditching boost, but even so 60fps is valuable.

4. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I've said before that I'm not too fond of this style, as it takes a lot more cues from Mario, dulling the edginess I enjoyed from crisper, detailed textures and more intricate badniks. However, you may be right in the "trimming the fat" payoff:[​IMG]
    If all of that is playable ground, and there is no longer a huge amount of boosting, these levels have the potential to be quite massive.

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I think more importantly is that levels are probably easier to make this way. Like, in Sonic Colours half the acts felt like full levels, while in the other half it just felt like they added platforms and obstacles to existing levels. In Lost World's case it'll probably be easier to make more full acts instead of what feels like filler.

And again, it could also be done so that the game will have a better framerate. (btw, this is just an assumption, there's been nothing that's confirmed this) 60fps is much better for a Sonic game than 30fps.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    E3 can't get here soon enough, cause I'm curious as to how much free roaming you get. Like I said before, I'm seeing an awful lot of corridors, and that worries me.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Couldn't possibly agree more witht he 60fps comments. I can only run Generations on my PC at the lowest of resolutions so it's a blurred and jagged mess, but it's a damn sight more enjoyable than the 360 version because of the framerate.

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    According to IGN guy we'll see more Lost World stuff before E3: https://twitter.com/RichIGN/status/339765625922662402

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Sorry, how did he lose control and was betrayed in Colours or Generations? Both game's final bosses are Robotnik with his creature-de-jour completely under control. I wish people would stop thinking otherwise, because they're wrong. It's not happened as you described for over 5 years (Unleashed).

Interesting that the betrayal twist of the past happens this early in the game, that's a new one. Who wants to bet that despite this alliance, as soon as Deadly Six #6 gets defeated then Robotnik will instantly turn and be the final boss fight? =P

10. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    If I were a betting man, this is what I'd put money on.

11. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    And when I Tweeted him, he clarified that he doesn't mean the Nintendo Direct, which is kinda technically before E3. So yay possibly more news!

12. Machenstein

Machenstein

I just had a thought. Hirokazu Yasuhara is currently working at Nintendo. If Nintendo is involved in Lost World's development in any way, how much would Yasuhara be involved?

13. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    That's what I meant. After two major games in a row WITHOUT a twist like that, I'd hoped that meant it was done for good. I could've phrased this clearer.

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I doubt that he's really involved with this. Most of the work is still done by Sonic Team, but Nintendo is involved in some way, probably as much as for example Microsoft or Sony is involved with the games they publish.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    He wouldn't be.

Yasuhara works at Nintendo Software Technology, which is a US-based development branch of Nintendo. They recently wrapped up development of Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move for the 3DS, and their history generally spans smaller games for handhelds.

This game has nothing to do with Nintendo other than "it's exclusive to Nintendo consoles", probably the result of extensive lobbying between executives in Japan.

16. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I've thinking...could be this Sonic Lost world in somehow related to Sonic xtreme? the feeling is pretty much the same, and the storyline fits with Sonic Xtreme's Sonic Saturn storyline by chris senn. Also, there is this ( thanks DaGuAr for the finding, textures from Sonic Xtreme compendium)

From Sonic Lost World
    [​IMG]

From Sonic Xtreme
    BUSHBAL1C.PCX:
    [​IMG]
    BUSHFLR1.PCX:
    [​IMG]
    BUSHFLR3.PCX:
    [​IMG]

17. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    What if they got some people from the old X-Treme team to help them with Lost World? That'd be interesting, and may explain why it's so similar. I don't believe those textures are a coincidence.

18. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Hopefully that means we finally get to play through a proper Death Egg Zone in 3D then. :P

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    From one of the plots that was made for Sonic X-treme:
    http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_X-treme_storylines#Sonic_Saturn_-_by_Christian_Senn_-_April_28.2C_1995

Sonic Lost World's plot:
    http://blogs.sega.com/2013/05/29/rise-against-the-deadly-six-in-sonic-lost-world/

It is actually somewhat similar to that plot.

20. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    ...Is is me, or Sonic's Hair is getting a bit shorter lately?

Anyways, it made me want to have the Wii U for the Holiday along with that game.