don't click here

Sonic 1 (2013 - iOS/Android) Post-Release Bugs/Fixes/Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skaarg, May 17, 2013.

1. Machenstein

Machenstein

So it was a tribute to computer graphics? That's not a bad way to look at it, actually.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    eeehhh

this was 1990/1991 - my gut feeling is this checkerboard idea for transparancy was adopted sometime in the late 90s. You may be over-thinking that.

3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

You guys didn't know this?

You gotta check and read our wiki y'know, it's quite well written and has been for.. oh... some years now :v:

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    By the time the first Sonic was released, I was already used to seeing such a thing in a certain program I got with my ZX Spectrum, which dates from 1983... so it might not be that farfetched.

5. dsrb

dsrb

What, this?
    I would say that speaks more of the process than confirming any large-scale theories about the inspiration for the level. IceKnight's list is interesting and well-compiled, but it's not proof that all of these things cited were designed to emulate a graphic design project or suchlike, especially things like the mixed-up tiles, which might genuinely be mistakes. I'm not saying all those things wouldn't be cool if they were true, but we don't know that they are.

6. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    More probs:
    • In Time Attack mode, the milliseconds on the timer won't reset to zero if you choose Restart (or if you exit the stage and go back in from the menu), meaning if you retry the stage when the clock reads x'xx"96 or something like that, you've immediately wasted one second when you start again. This is the same problem that was in the Sonic CD remake.
    • Characters should not be allowed to turn super if they have already passed the goal sign, and that is especially apparent during the playable cutscene at the end of SBZ2. It's like the infamous glitch from Sonic 2 except that it doesn't stop the game at all.
    • And of course, the broken super form pallettes underwater.
    • Why is it that the 7th special stage (available if you set the max. Emeralds to 7 in the level select) has to appear only if you have the other six Emeralds? Can't it appear as normal like the others?

7. ZTE Avid 4G, Android 4.0.4

I encountered a small bug while playing as Tails. When I was flying, and when Tails got tired, I paused the game, and his "tired flying" sound kept playing on a loop. It didn't stop when I went back to the main menu, only when I started a different save file or a new game.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Tails can trigger the water level off screen in Labyrinth Zone:
    [​IMG]

Oh here's another funny glitch in relation to the Knuckles/Tails & Tails glitch. I started a file as Knuckles & Tails, and collected six Emeralds. In the 7th Special Stage, I exited via the menu. When I went back to load my file, things were a little bit odd:
    [​IMG]

Knuckles has turned into Sonic (as to be cause Knuckles & Tails is a glitch) but Special Stage 7 has no ID on the menu. Instead I'm apparently in "settings". After completing SS7 as Sonic, Super Sonic was unlocked. The menu is displaying the right level now but there's an error in that there's only six Emeralds shown and they're the wrong colour (again cause this shouldn' be possible).

9. corneliab

corneliab

I recently tried this myself and was also pretty bummed that the seventh emerald doesn't show up on the file. What do you mean that the emeralds are the wrong color, though? I just beat the game and things look okay to me, but then again, it does seem to rervert back to its normal state following the credits...

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Oh only that they're the wrong colour when you have seventh emerald activated. The save files show the traditional S1 colours, but in the 7 emeralds mode they're slightly different to be more the same as they are in new games (pink is now purple for example). You can just ignore the comment though, cause its not even supposed to be possible that you have a 7 emerald file.

11. Paradigm

Paradigm

Primrose Hill
    An original story entitled "Obscured into Hubris"
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but whenever I press the "back" button on my Android, I expect it to take me to a pause menu or something. Instead, it makes Sonic jump.

12. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    There's a missing collapsing platform in MZ3 which is making speed running this level more difficult than it should be. Here's a screenshot of the level in the original with the platform intact. The android and iOS versions lack this:

[​IMG]

While I'm on the subject of speed running, time trial's restart option doesn't reset the rotation of the special stage, meaning when you restart, the rotation angle is the same as it was before, leading to potential cheating on times for some people but it also messes up the ability to restart while trying for a legitimate time.

13. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    It's intended that way, since not all devices the game supports have real dualtouch/multitouch

14. Paradigm

Paradigm

Primrose Hill
    An original story entitled "Obscured into Hubris"
    Oh alright, thanks for clearing that up.

15. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Haven't read through to see if it's already been reported, but while in the 5th Special Stage, I hit the goal spheres, and while it was spinning in transition to the results screen, and I exited the app (pressed the home button to go back to my phone screen). I went back in and restarted the special stage (when I enter back in, it's in the pause menu whether or not I had the capability to pause when I exited). When I restarted it, the stage would not rotate, even if I hit the "R" spheres. It made the stage impossible to complete. I restarted the stage several times, but it wouldn't rotate. Cost me getting the 5th Emerald by Spring Yard Act 1 :argh:

Haven't had a chance to return to a special stage yet, so I don't know if I'll have the problem again.

16. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Has been reported, and you will have the problem every time. One thing I haven't tried, and maybe you haven't either, is doing this, and in the event of getting stuck, close and SHUT DOWN the app, and restart it. The level on the saved game SHOULD be the Special Stage.

BTW hitting the UP/DOWN blocks should do the trick to get it to rotate.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Speaking of shutting down the app, is it just an issue with Bluestacks or does it normally just stay open in the background when you exit it?

18. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I think I fucked up my save file.

I went to NO SAVE, enabled the 7th Emerald, and got a Game Over. Then I went back to my Tails file and collected emeralds 3 through 6. In the 7th special stage, I hit a GOAL, so I killed the app. Apparently it's not programmed to recognize a save location there, because while the app boots up perfectly, it crashes every time the save menu tries to load.

19. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Can you extract the SGame.bin and send it to me? Either link or PM

Obviously Taxman and/or Stealth would know MUCH more about it than I would, goes without saying... I'd just like to check it out for myself...

EDIT: Did it for myself and got SETTINGS. Loading this gives me the 7th Special Stage in all its glory. Maybe something else happened? Hmm...

20. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Hm, interesting. Forgot to mention that this happened on the Android version. Unfortunately, my Nexus 7 cracked yesterday (on my birthday, no less!), so I'm gonna have to get it warrentied. I'll try to get the data off via USB if you want, though.