don't click here

(DC) Sonic Adventure Prototype (1998-10-16)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Orengefox, May 21, 2013.

1. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    I certainly don't mind you using mine if you don't mind having to rip them off YouTube, but mine don't cover anything that hasn't been already, they're just a little higher resolution. The second one is still uploading though; 50 minutes remaining. Painfully slow internet =S

2. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Well, the Egg Carrier chao garden isn't fully covered yet (AKA the Windy valley chao garden). we have the models from it yes, but do we have confirmation that we have all of it?

3. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    The Land Table address provided by 1ST_READ.BIN is what gave me that. It is odd though. I'm wondering if I did it correctly. I'll look at it again.

EDIT: There's one more series of object structs that are left out I noticed. 0CA88B6C, but it looks like an egg. The one land table struct only lists four models (COLs), and the model I extracted only contains four models. So it must be right...

4. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    It was towards Orenge and Jen, but yeah definitely.

5. Jase

Jase

~~(_ _C^> Member
    Sorry man, I shouldn't have drunk so much caffeine haha, made me work nonstop :P

Yeah, I remember this value being the cause of 'Level combining' in SA2PC, so I thought maybe if I fiddle with it, it would allow me to take control (but then I never thought to freeze it at 4, only 11 since it tried to change away from 11 when the demo ended). I was looking for the variable when I downloaded it too, along with displaying debug stuff..sucks that it's not as convenient this time lol :v:

EDIT: M04R V1D5
    Knuckles playthrough of 'At Dawn' : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJsJ2ErNtYo
    All the items are loaded incorrectly when Knuckles is loaded...

Emerald Coast playthrough : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z_B4wNakRo
    Lots of missing stuff.

Final Egg : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylmk8BzzZPk
    VERY interesting things in this video. Lots of new/missing/removed stuff scattered about, mainly with the level design. Plus that duck enemy...

6. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Yeah, figured. Either way though :specialed:

Edit: Way late, but look guys, my video finished uploading! ;_;
    Edit: Welp nevermind; audio desync. Fml.

7. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    How did you get Emerald Coast to load? Every time I try it just crashes, but yet your savestate works fine. What did you do?

8. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I only just figured out how to use this now. It looks like value 16 for the level select brings you to the first Chaos battle, or Knuckles' battle, I can't tell. You're starting position is within Chaos though, so you die instantly. If anyone knows a code to give sonic some rings... :)

Value 26 - Station Square 2nd area. Untextured and empty though.
    Value 32 - area before final boss?

9. Yarharhar

Yarharhar

Oldbie
    Ooooh, different-looking rhinos in emerald coast.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This is lovely

although documenting the full extent of these changes on the wiki will be a nightmare. Don't know if it's the emulator to blame for a lot of this, but you can spot subtle differences every couple of seconds (and this is (presumably) a fairly late prototype!)

11. Paraxade

Paraxade

weird, I just played through that stage and I never saw half those glitches. The slope after the checkpoint worked fine and that graphical issue with the water never happened to me.

Anyway I spent some time screwing around in Emerald Coast and I managed to get pretty far by playing "normally". You can clear the broken ramp at the beginning by spindashing and jumping right before you go off the ramp; you get jump height plus the script flings you at ramp speed so it's pretty easy to clear the gap. Then the next part is annoying; as soon as you get into the tunnel if you jump up on top of the railing to the left and do a very annoying spindash jump to the ramp after the double-loop, it's possible to get to the start of the whale chase with a somewhat decent camera angle (read: it's horrible but at least you can see what you're doing). Past that point, the whale walkway just goes in a straight line for a while and then abruptly stops. There's no way to get to the final area of the level because the path simply isn't there. :x

What I did is after starting the autodemo, when it went to the Gamma cutscene, I changed 2C751608 to 10 to end the cutscene, immediately paused the emulator, and set the stage value to 1, and it worked. I dunno if it was a quirk or something as I haven't tried it with anything else yet but I kinda suspect the issue is that the game crashes if you try to load an actual level when it's expecting a cutscene to start playing. Prolly wrong on that though.

edit: just got Red Mountain to work the same way.

edit 2: since someone asked, the capsule at the beginning of Final Egg is still there. I also have no idea why Sonic keeps turning black.

12. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    That duck enemy in Final Egg is really interesting (and kinda cute :v:); something that we didn't even know existed. Makes me wonder how many other things are in this game that we have no record of.

Go ahead Skyler, we're both ok with this :)

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    And now the thing's playable. Great job, guys!

Lost it at the Chao Murder Machine. XD Moreso because half the voices sound like they're saying "oh no" anyway... Also, wtf at your Duck enemy.

Interesting also watching Jen's videos that the animals when collected make ring noises (I actually laughed the first time I heard that) - they mustn't have done their SFX at this point. I've not really played SA1 that hardcore to notice many differences, but the obvious ones I picked out:

* End of act Chaos Emerald jingle from S2 rather than the final's remixed S3 Act 1
    * No crash barriers at the start of Emerald Coast after the springs section
    * I don't remember the Icecap bridge either
    * 1-up jingle is also S2 Chaos Emerald
    * The flingers in Speed Highway are rather... loud =P I pity anyone who had headphones on for that!
    * Random Tikal at the start of Goin' Down o_O Only notable because of how out-of-place it is for the rest of the Tikal hints in this version. And heh, the level ends at the end of it, no accessable At Dawn (of course we know it's in there).

14. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    ^ I dunno, I thought the worst headphone moment was the death sound glitch in Red Mountain. "Oh, I guess the death sound wasn't impleme—AAAAAAAAAAAH"

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The level list is exactly the same as the final's listed on SCHG:Sonic Adventure/Object Editing, except "Mystic Ruins (Past)" and "Sky Chase Act 2" don't exist, moving the later levels up a slot or two.

16. The worst is rotating elevator flingers before helicopter in Speed Highway.

17. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    I feel like recording footage of random games and then putting it through YouTube's stabilization process just to see what happens. This particular video literally made me nauseous as I watched it :P

Also, fantastic work, people... I can't offer any productive resources, but it looks like you all mostly have it covered.

I will say, though, to remember that since it's an unfinished build, don't assume any of the wacky stuff you find was completely intended for the final game. The duck, for example? It's so garishly out of place that it was probably just a placeholder to see how its AI/mechanics would function; they'd have probably swapped the model out with something more appropriate if they had chosen to develop that segment further.

This is still really cool shit, though... I wish it were an even earlier build, but maybe one will surface sometime in the future :) Like IceKnight said in an early page in the thread, some parts of those Test Levels seem like they were built around a drastically different engine. I feel like I saw a video online at some point in which Yuji Naka or someone else on the team explained that they were actually trying to implement some momentum-based physics in the game during its development... it was some kind of "behind the scenes" type thing, but probably lost somewhere in the sea of YouTube videos out there -_-

18. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Are playable Robotnik and Tikal in there, by any chance?

19. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    Massive apologies for being so clueless, but what are you all running this game in? I have no idea what to do with these downloads.

20. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Has anyone gotten Twinkle Park to load? The textures for the level are still here but I don't notice anything different when viewing the levels in SALVL, at least as far as Pleasure Castle goes. Sky Chase is also in there as well with the textures. So load that up if you want your dragon.

EDIT: Just checked the third part of Twinkle Park in SALVL and it's mostly the same as well with some minor differences in the mirror'd rooms that were changed to make the illusion a little bit better by making the ends of the rooms lead to a hallway in the reflection. Other than that it looks like it's the same. Don't know about the object placement though.