don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Sadly not soon, as this is part of my effort in re-writing the entire editor as I mentioned in a post several months ago. But so far it's looking pretty good. Don't worry though, not much is changing on the entire process. Your scenes will be compatible with it.

The benefits of it being a separate formats library decoupled from the GUI is already starting to help me a lot with this.

2. Faseeh

Faseeh

>Custom Particles

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

NOW I CAN MAKE RAIN IN FROG FOREST AND LET THE SKY CHANGE AND SO YOU HAVE A SORT OF RAIN THINGY, YEAH.

Well, I honestly wanna get the gameplay perfect first, fix the current graphical glitches and then think about those.

3. Retroman

Retroman

I think everyone would agree that a Modern and Classic Angel Island Zone would be epic!

Have Classic Sonic's level one be at night and have this music playing
    https://soundcloud.com/funk-fiction/night-island

4. Faseeh

Faseeh

Right, a bit of a question, any who can help fix just one UV problem on Frog Forest? Or at least teach? I don't seem to be able to get it. :I

All of the other seams and texture problems are cos of problems with Glvl or maybe Ogre. This one is in the max file itself. Would be really nice if anyone could! :)

5. Paraxade

Paraxade

If I can make a suggestion on Frog Forest, add some dash panels to the big corkscrews to speed Sonic up a lot there. They look a lot cooler going faster and the player doesn't have to spend as much time doing absolutely nothing - win-win. Also think quite a few of the cameras need some work, and a lot of parts of the layout look confusing, but meh. Looks alright so far.

6. Retroman

Retroman

Also If I can make another suggestion, add a downhill area with obstacles, then after a loop you jump off to mushroom hills and you go downhill straight to the rocket place, and then you fall in the air. You collect rings, then you find the water slide from Chemical Plant Zone and make a water section on the ground.

I know I am annoying, and I don't care if I am.

7. Faseeh

Faseeh

Aaah, alright, I realised I needed to. People in the comments were saying that. Yeah, my cameras are meh. Hyuga says he'll be able to help sometime soon. And the layout, yeah I'm not totally finished with it. Anyways, thanks!

8. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Wouldn't modern just be the Brawl version? It's match up with the Flying Battery one that's in the recent M&S olympics

9. Retroman

Retroman

Yeeeeaaaaahhh!

I wonder if day to night transitions are possible.

10. Faseeh

Faseeh

It should be possible with the sky changes, and lightfield. Not gonna be easy but ya know. It'd be sudden though so yeah.

11. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    How possible is super music? Or at least a transformation sound clip like in Colours, where he yelled "Super Sonic!"?

12. Faseeh

Faseeh

http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Create_Splines_For_Sonic_Generations

Made a spline tutorial.

Well, I found the Youtube video by brianuu to be not too easy to understand, and I sorta learnt this all from scratch with the help of 1stkirbyever. Do tell me if I made some mistakes as I did this in a day :/ And sorry about it.

Hope someone finds this useful!

And it seems I'll be finishing Pyramid Cave after Frog Forest.

EDIT: Added a stage loading path thingy in notes.

13. Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster!

I've started working again on my Sonic 1 remake mod (had to take a couple months off due to personal reasons but I'm back on a roll once again). Big thanks to Parax and JoeTE for their help via PMs over the past week or so for some issues I've come across. It's helped a lot.

I'm getting a new problem now. All of yesterday I spent trying to use one of the GHZ Classic palm trees in my GHZ remake (exported the whole level as a .DAE from SonicGLvl then isolated the palm trees, re-textured, etc.) and I went through a long and painful (20+ hour) process of figuring out that residual Vertex-Coloring was messing me up. Here's a fun little slideshow of what I went through.

[​IMG]

Anyway, as you can see in the last image, I've got a separate problem now; the opacity maps are causing havoc with how the images are drawn.

Here's a quick example image of what I mean. I've textured three intersecting boxes and decorated them with the palm tree's materials.
    (Note that I'm testing this using a temporary ObjectPhysics object in SonicGLvl and not as imported terrain, as it allows me to see opacity maps as they are going appear in the game instead of diffuse planes which GLvl seems to use for terrain)

[​IMG]

I figure it's likely either a shader thing (since I'm not entirely sure how any of the shaders actually work) or something to do with my opacity map's setup in Max, but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Hopefully someone else has run into this problem or can answer at a glance so I can sleep peacefully tonight. :v:

14. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Go into your sonicglvl/help/ folder and open up tutorial_example_materials.png in a photo viewer. It should explain what's going on.

15. This is perfect. I've read those over a bunch before, but I never quite understood how they were supposed to be used, then I found Dario's original post on the matter, and putting them in the material names makes a lot of sense.

Figured that it was the boolean one that was in requirement, so used that in the relevant material names et voilĂ !

[​IMG]

Thanks for pointing that out for me, Dude! :)

16. *crickets*

So, I've been working on porting nearly every single scenery object from Sonic Adventure's Windy Valley for a while, and this is what I've got done so far. It's nearly done, actually. Once I finish, I'll generate the GIA and port it into Generations and stuff...I'll probably make a progress video once I get to a reasonable point in development. Until then, look at these teaser renders (might be a bit bright, sorry!).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    You have the lighting perfect. It looks great!

18. Faseeh

Faseeh

Yeah, Sky was saying he modified the GIA script to have smooth shadows and such.

It really looks nice!

19. Thanks!
    Thanks, but it's not my very slightly modified GIA script (it just allows me to render using _gia, but Dario was saying that it doesn't allow Sonic's shadows to blend with the stage shadows) that gives smooth shadows. It's the VRaySun. I increased the scale of it ever since I found out that the higher of a scale the VRaySun is, the more softer the shadows get.

20. Faseeh

Faseeh

Well, I was close but hey, yeah, your GIA script is modified for the better anyways.