don't click here

General Project Screenshots/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sparks, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Dashtube

Dashtube

'Cause I find memes funny Member
    Sonic Exodus
    Really? Oddly, this is the first time I've ever seen it even though I played both Doom and SRB2 + Mods to death.
    But yeah, it's really refreshing to see actual sloped terrain and not just a bunch of really small blocky staircases trying to imitate just that.

2. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Yeah, but it's just making it more frustrating to not see this sort of thing in SRB2 proper.

3. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Welcome to ZDoom. They've had slopes for ages.

Only reason SRB2 wasn't a ZDoom mod ages ago was because it didn't have 3D floors until very, very recently (like, within-the-past-year recent)... and at this point, so much mod-related baggage has accumulated on our end that I don't think a switch to it would be feasible (at least, not without making randi and Graf Zahl want to murder us slowly).

As for why we don't just backport the slopes: ZDoom's renderer is entirely different from Legacy's. Like, very dissimilar. Doesn't help that it's written in C++, while Legacy's is C.

4. Eternity, EDGE, VaVoom and Risen3D also have them at this point. Then again, only one of those use a software renderer and Eternity's Cardboard renderer is fairly different to vanilla or Legacy's, IIRC.

5. Retroman

Retroman

Is Sonic... using a sneaker as a weapon?

It looks nice. Have you tried adding a waterfall section and some water features?

Except... that 3D model of Sonic is disgusting because it makes him look like a midget :/

6. Faseeh

Faseeh

This looks pure amazing, wow. I'm suprised I've not seen this earlier, great job on it man!

7. Stritix

Stritix

[​IMG]

I'm working on a 32bit Sonic the Hedgehog project. It plays similar to the classics, but I'm doing my own thing at the same time. This screenshot was taken a while back during the engine test phrase. The character sprites are custom/edited. I'll be showing mock ups of the first stage shortly with more information on the gameplay.

8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    ^ Awesome. Love that style.

So,
    [​IMG](Total Mockup)
    Would people like to see this made?

Yes, it is still that same fangame I was working on before.
    Though sadly I lack the proper creativity to create my own story and designs n stuff, so I'll quickly switch and go with a really old (and original) plan and make a remake of Sonic 1, on crack.

Just wondering if a total graphical facelift is worth it for people.

9. Machenstein

Machenstein

That's very nice. I think I saw that background in one of the Taxman Sonic 1 threads. Do you plan on remaking the Master System levels too? I'd love me some Bridge.

10. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Hmm, I doubt it, at the moment anyway.
    At the moment I'm just drawing things now and again from GHZ, and I'll throw something together whenever Mercury releases his engine.

If people like it, I'll continue properly for sure! :D

EDIT: And yes, that was me!

11. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    It looks neat, only downside is the checkers look un-detailed compared to everything else.

Not sure how I'd feel about a Sonic 1 remake, feels like there's other Sonic games that need more love.. ..why not Sonic Pocket Adventure, or one of the Game Gear games? ;)

12. Truner

Truner

I would give an arm (hell, I'll throw in a leg as well) for a Triple Trouble remake. Or maybe something like Sonic & Tails 2-in-1 remake.

13. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Not really, because you'll just resurrect a circle jerk topic with tons of people sprouting stupid ideas for a fan-game that shouldn't even be made. I mean this in the least offensive way, but the furthest you made it last time you did this was about as far as you just posted now. At least this time it was in this topic and not 60 pages of progress later showing 20 different ways to shade a tree.

14. Machenstein

Machenstein

If the remake doesn't take off, I'd love to see that rendition of GHZ's background in Taxman's Sonic 1 port. I know it would probably go against what Sega or Taxman intends for the port, but a guy can dream.

15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Well I wouldn't let that happen again, I'm only going to show more once I have something playable. Also, I wont be using that same topic. My mistake last time was posting when ever I had added new bloody pixel to something and asking opinions.

I also know that I never finish anything I say I will, but that's because I usually give myself too much of a task, something beyond me. Though here, I wont be needing to come up with new levels or spend hours drawing HD art. I love Sonic 1 so I'm more than ready to do+finish this.

(The only reason I abandoned this idea in the first place is because I wanted to do something original. A mistake!)

As for the suggestions for other games, no sorry! I just don't like the MasterSystem/GameGear games.
    But if I get this to look good enough, I'm hoping you can just play it for that :3

16. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    What I find hilarious about this is that means both of you are making almost-32-bit Sonic 1 remakes.
    You might want to reconsider Sonica, since Classic 2's matured engine and features will be available in this one and Karl Brueggemann has already made an enhanced soundtrack for it with Act 2 and 3 variations for each zone. I wouldn't go for a Sonic 1 revamp unless it's going to have a lot of unique things to offer.

Also, since freaking no one is going to remake the 8-bit games even though they are really begging to be remade, I guess I'll have to.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    He is? I had no idea.

I'm going to add new features of my own, no doubt, plus Mercury's engine is damn impressive so far.
    Well we'll see how it goes. I'm sure Hez's one'll be freaking awesome, probably better than I could do! But this is just something I've been wanting to do for a while now :)

18. Such lovely detail on the grass and the shadow that it casts on the ground below. Do you plan on giving the BG such attention?

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I literally drew that in a few mins, so yeah :)
    Though compared to what it was originally, it already has had quite a lot of attention!
    I will be keeping to a (extended) palette though so the shadow will not look so smooth eventually I'm afraid.

20. dsrb

dsrb

To be fair, neither of the Sonic Classic games have had redrawn graphics for the official zones they included. A new engine, new characters, items, and so on. But the same tiles and whatnot. So I think there's still a niche to be filled. Combining that with how long you've wanted to do something like this, I think those are two good reasons.