don't click here

(DC) Sonic Adventure Prototype (1998-10-16)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Orengefox, May 21, 2013.

1. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    Around 1:55-- is that the fountain/clock thingie from the proto screenshots? :) Or am I getting old and can't remember my levels anymore? :P

It also looks like the bell tower behind it is significantly different. I'm really excited to see this; Lost World and the At Dawn portion of Speed Highway are two of my favorite parts of this game! :)

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    If you look in 1ST_READ.BIN at 160648 or 8C170648 in ida, it lists the addresses of every LandTable, 8 sections per level, 41 levels. You can find the address in that list and go to that address in the relevant stage file (assuming you've set the rom start and loading address properly). There's really not much to look at as far as the geometry goes, SALVL tells you a lot more than looking at the data does.

3. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Sweet. Thanks a bunch. :)

I noticed that for the Chao Gardens, the key is different. But unlike the final, the key in this version is CA80000. Garden00 (Station Square garden) is pretty much identical to the final version, with textures as well. Garden01 (Egg Carrier) however...

[​IMG]

For those unfamiliar:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Yeah, for some reason it's completely hollow underneath. Also you can make out a small platform for the transporters. So maybe it wasn't a test map after all? There aren't any textures for this though.

But here's the obj file for you to tinker with. I can't seem to get GARDEN02 loaded though, but the file is pretty small and only contains a ring in the object list anyway.

For those who are waiting for the object file for Windy Valley part 1, the address is 11ED8 and the key is the standard SA1 level key.

EDIT: False alarm on GARDEN02. :)

[​IMG]

Download link to OBJ file. You wont need textures for this one I think.

I can't seem to get whatever's at 8c170B48 to load though. Looks like the key is CA90000 and the address is EE04, which might be the Chao Race map. But it's a different key than anything else. This is the last address in the LandTable address list as far as I can see.

4. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    so what we thought was chao in windy valley was really chao in a scrapped garden then?

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Holy Crap! 2 test levels, Windy Valley Beta, At Dawn Beta, and now the lost chao garden?!

WTF is gonna be found next is the question? the Amy mysterous pink room? the weird green cave where tails was? Sonic R/Jam assets?!

Jesus keep it coming Auto-Demo! we have been waiting for you for years!!

EDIT: already posted sorry.

6. Yeah, really.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x4UqweBW4dc&t=1m13s
    Since people were complaining about Rouge breast physics damaging kids minds, I wonder what feedback that skirt physics could have get?

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Doesn't it do that in the final too? Or at least in SADX?

8. Jase

Jase

~~(_ _C^> Member
    Amy's dress floating upwards, as far as I remember, it doesn't lift up as she falls, but I could be remembering wrong. Also, when Big falls, his ears fly upwards which I don't remember (literally might just be my bad memory thinking this stuff is different)

9. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Amy's dress doesn't float upwards, Amy leans foward iirc.

10. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    All we need now is Sonic X-Treme for PC and Sonic 1. Oh man.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    [​IMG]
    From SADXPC.

12. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Sonic Adventure when it was on Saturn would be nice. :)
    .=
    I felt bad when I saw this topic had no new discoveries since I went to bed. One new thing found a day if you can guys, k pls thx

13. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    But...Sonic Adventure never was in Saturn, didn't it? I though Sonic Team was working on a 3D sonic for the saturn, who got scrapped, and the remains of it are Sonic Jam's Sonic World, and the base engine of Sonic Adventure, but it wasn't Sonic Adventure itself,since that game idea and concept came from the travel Sonic Team made to Latin America later on and the Dreamcast capabilities...isn't it? or am I missing something?

Geez, I had a huge fight with a guy some time ago because of this, the guy said there were "saturn polygons" on final Sonic Adventure because they made Sonic adventure ( as we know it today, same levels, same story, same game) on the saturn, then ported it to Dreamcast and reused the assets they made for the saturn. I called it bullshit and....well, you know. Shit happens.

14. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Well, Sonic's model in Sky Chase is really low-poly...

15. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Yep, I'm aware of that one, but he said it for some low res textures ( that he called polygons..) on Mystic Ruins, so no. I think is pretty well known that they used Sonic Jam models as low res placeholder models in Sky Chase, but that doesn't mean the same game was made for the Saturn...

16. Jase

Jase

~~(_ _C^> Member
    Here's all I can share for now, I have got Emerald Coast to load, each section of it works (all three including Big's stage), haven't had chance to explore them because the emulator I use glitches water all over it and it's hard to navigate.
    Also, I tried numerous attempts to get the stage "0" to load (Test level, right?) and have got to a point where the stage loads a blank map with no objects, but the characters 'action' variable (the address that tells what action the character is doing like jumping or walking or whatnot), gets set to some randomly high number like 200 (there's only around 70 actions so it's a bit weird).
    Finally, I can load I believe the Mystic Ruins Chao Garden, but, all textures are missing, and the Addresses that I have on CheatEngine don't seem to apply to the character in the map, so I can't float around it unless I re-find the Y position (which shouldn't be too hard, but the missing textures kinda make it look like it's not going to be worth the effort)

Could someone help find the "direction of sonic" address in CheatEngine in Demul? Could be mighty useful!

17. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I'm not one to say one way or the other, I just assumed from stuff I was told before that SA was kinda like Shenmue in that they worked on it a bit(well, in Shenmue's case more than a bit) for the Saturn but ported it over after realizing the Saturn was in its final years already. I'm imagining they must have started some part of it on the Saturn at least.

18. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Honestly this depends on what point they went from calling it "this 3d thingie we're developing" to "Sonic Adventure". Which is difficult to know without having been on the dev team.

make no mistake about it though, Sonic Adventure is a descendant of Sonic Jam.

however I would like to point out that Sonic Adventure uses one of the earliest possible sega 3d model formats, so it's pretty reasonable to assume the game engine started on the Saturn.

19. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Just merged the thread from E&RE into this one. No need for two separate threads, guys - any extracted resources or restoration attempts should just be shown off in here.

20. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    This is a fascinating discovery! :o